Skip navigation

2756 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2012 7:43 PM by OnlineBasketballCamp
23AllDayEveryDay Pro 155 posts since
Aug 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 7, 2012 1:06 PM

Help with Tight Defense

WHat is an effective way to free up space or start a drive when your defender pressures all the way up on you, like is showed in the picture?

Because i was playing pickup today and i had this good defender on me and everytime he came up on my like this i would lose the ball but if he gave me some room i could drive on him.

ANY FAKES OR MOVES THAT FREE UP SPACE TO START A DRIVE WHEN DEFENDER PLAYS LIKE THIS IS APPRECIATED!

• Kzai01 Amateur 30 posts since
    Oct 26, 2011
    1. Nov 11, 2012 11:25 AM (in response to 23AllDayEveryDay)
    Help with Tight Defense

What I'd do is do a strong dribble back to make space, then i'd drive strong and fast, and since i know my man is overplaying, i'd pull the ball back like wade and watch him fly. But if he's able to recover after my last move, as he's coming back on me I'd go back that same way real fast. Hope that helps.

• Rebound23 Pro 99 posts since
    Mar 16, 2012
    3. Nov 13, 2012 7:41 PM (in response to 23AllDayEveryDay)
    Help with Tight Defense

If someone is that close, what I like to do is to seal him as if you were posting him up come back (at this point there will be a good amount of space to cross your defender up), hesitate, then cross over. For me it works everytime. Well, the seal to get space anyway. I have to change the way I break my defenders ankles every now and then

• SplitSecondBasketball Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 15, 2012
    4. Nov 15, 2012 8:54 PM (in response to 23AllDayEveryDay)
    Help with Tight Defense

One of the best ways to deal with a defender who crowds you is to be ready to execute the moment you catch the ball....ie be ready to shoot, pass or go by your defender before he has a chance to get up on you.  If you are standing with the ball in an unathletic position, you give your defender time to get up in your face with tough defensive pressure. 

If your defender is already up tight on you, be ready to claim your space.  You have the right to the cylinder of space around you....and if the defender sticks his hands or face in this space, it's your job to take it back.  Making sure you are in athletic stance, hold the ball firmly, lead with your elbows and pivot through to create space.  Don't swing your elbows....that's a foul...but leading with them while making a strong sweep and pivot is perfectly legal and will create the space you need, like Kobe is about to do here.

Kobe leading with elbow.jpg

• OnlineBasketballCamp Rookie 7 posts since
    Nov 28, 2012
    5. Nov 28, 2012 7:43 PM (in response to 23AllDayEveryDay)
    Help with Tight Defense

23AllDayEveryDay,

I think the best way to free up space with an aggressive defender is to use lots of fakes and change up your speeds. You should be hesitating before your moves and exploding past him. Attack his hip and go right back at him hard. Since he is aggressive he will probably fall for some fakes too. Here is a great page of Basketball Dribbling Moves with videos and instructions for you to learn from.

Here is the link: https://onlinebasketballcamp.com/simplepage/basketball-dribbling-moves

Hope this helps you!

Coach Ryan Tremblay

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...