Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

685057 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 Go to original post 1 ... 285 286 287 288 289 ... 327 Previous Next
  • quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,290. Nov 6, 2012 7:49 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

I had a total wait time of 0 seconds at the polls. No Line at all.

4 miles. It's sad not to see anyone at the park running because the of the cold weather and earlier sunset. The temp is still in the mid 40s - 50s so it's too warm for me to wear running tights, imo 

I've found a new love for running. First it was the shoes. Then being able to run "long" distance. Now I simply enjoy going places without having to drive

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,291. Nov 7, 2012 6:29 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 28 min. Birthday run.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,292. Nov 7, 2012 10:18 AM (in response to NHLA)

Well, Happy Birthday to Youuu!! 4 mi. seems like a warmup for you. Was that after cake? re: your moans about having short weekly mileage, I just checked Endomondo and my longest MONTHLY mileage was 83 in April before the Pig.

Mel, congrats on getting out there in the cold! I'll try covering up. The burn in my chest does sound and feel like asthma but doesn't respond to the inhaler.

OC - a 12 y.o. girl won our 5k on Sunday, also. Sounds like you know how to enjoy the lack of an 18 wk. plan. Me, I'm lost. Afraid to get too comfortable.

Ogr44, Congratulations on your PR!!!! that was a Great Time!! It's going to be dark here also, whether I run before or after work. I found a New Balance cap with 6 lights on it and can't wait to use it but can wait to get out in that cold.

Linus - lucky you, running with your son! and getting some good runs in. Yeah, they'll have to walk faster to beat this Philly chick.

Fran'sMom - sounds like the school track plan is working well for you for now.

Julia, good to hear from you again.

Luv2Run, by LA do you mean Louisiana or Los Angeles. I'm on my way!

Igotwings, you're running outside! I love your new love!

JM, you crack me up!!

5 mi. at 14:30 on Sat., 5k at 11:40 on Sun., 3 mi at 13:23 on Mon. and 2+ mi yesterday at 14:19. Sat., M & T on the TM at gym. Maybe I get tired of it too quickly bc I am having breathing problems. I cut the mileage yesterday after nurse practioner said stop running for about 4 days to heal chest. Today's a rest day, which in my world means it's time to do laundry.

Happy and fearless runs out there!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Feb 23, 2012
    4,293. Nov 7, 2012 4:01 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.4 miles 45 min. Two a day. It has been nasty but clearing up.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,294. Nov 7, 2012 4:08 PM (in response to mkayc)

Snuck in a nice 4mile  afternoon run yesterday right after I voted. Beautiful afternoon, but I seem to be experiencing "stupid muscles" in my legs from the cold. Just have to adjust, I guess. My sweet running buddy/dog had surgery yesterday and wont be able to run with me for two weeks. Poor angel. She is a hurting buck-a-roo.

Ogr44 Its good to find out you running better in the afternoons and congrats on the new PR.

NRDgirl Hi girl! Its good to be a cheerleader every now and then, yes? The Bermuda challenge sounds intense!

linuscatch I hope you bounce back from the overtraining and sounds like a sweet time with your son.

Old Coyote Nice score on the NB running pants!

Francessmom Its really nice that the track is so close and I'm glad your knee feels better.

Julia66 I think it's great that your hubby runs at all! That's cute~> "I'm going to go run and vote!' I meant literally"

Luv2Run213 Nice 7K!

jmsab23 Hi Jon!! Nice speed work.

igotwings Sweet, re: all your loves of running.

NHLA HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!

mkayc I hope the chest does clear up soon! I bet the cold air sure doesn't help.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,295. Nov 7, 2012 6:09 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Franmomma - good to hear about the knee.

julia - I voted on my way home from work, then did not turn on the TV, radio, or internet until I got in the shower this morning after my run. I guess marijuana was elected President of Colorado? I wasn't paying much attention.

jmsab - good workout

igot wings - I see less people in the morning too.

NHLA - happy birthday, you tough old goat.

mkayc - I lay out my clothes at night, including picking a pair of shoes. Get dressed in the morning and only decide my route and workout on my way out the door. It's a more spontaneous obsessive behavior .

melodylea -  *hugs* to puppy.

I turned left out the door this morning for an easy 3 miler. The temperature gradient this morning was incredible. I felt a 13 degree difference in temperature within 1 mile of home; from 32-45 degrees, verified with local amateur weather data. Nice run as the sun starts to illuminate the east. I kept a nice easy pace, 3 ish miles in 30 ish minutes. Think I'll run with a group tomorrow; the weekly run is up Green Mountain, which along with North and South Table Mountains bracket my part of town. I've run both the Tables in the last week, so Green would be a nice capper.

On second thought, I'll take my own advice and rest. By which I mean 5 miles in the morning at my pace instead of 8 miles after work chasing younger runners. Thank you all for helping me think.

Run Free

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,296. Nov 7, 2012 7:46 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

I guess marijuana was elected President of Colorado?<= Ahhahahah! I am wondering how that's going to work when possesion is illegal under federal law. Obama was elected President of Cincinnati, silly! I didn't tell, I had two complete changes of clothes in my gym bag on Monday (outside and in) and not one shirt. Nice new purple bra, tho, thank you guys for the suggestions. It was a Fiona from Moving Comfort. Ended up wearing something from the gym lost and found. "Think I left my shirt here last week." What color was it?" Oh, white...or maybe black." All I have is a red one." "That's the one!"

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,297. Nov 7, 2012 8:05 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

igotwings - - definitely fewer people out at 5:30 a.m.

NHLA - Happy Birthday!!!

MaryKay - take care of yourself, please.

MelodyLea - poor baby!  prayers and hugs for your pup

OldCoyote - that's some temperature difference!

3.2 miles this morning.  My legs were still really tight from Sunday's HM but the run (with extra stretch breaks) did the trick.  38 degrees this morning.  Nor'easter came in this afternoon. It was supposed to be rain but surprise! it's snow.  Maybe 1/2- to 1 inch - but it was pretty snowy on the way home from yoga tonight - roads covered and low visibility. Haven't really looked out the window since.  I even had to turn the heat on.  I was hoping to make it to Thanksigiving, but . .  .   Snow - ugh - it's a little early for me <sigh>

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,298. Nov 8, 2012 5:52 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

debm - We've had snow here a couple of times already. I have to get used to running on *gasp!* CONCRETE! more often to stay out of mud. Not that I care about getting dirty, but it wrecks the trails.

A nice easy 5 miler at 5:15 am; 30 degrees. I probably ran a smidge faster than I planned trying to raise the body temp a bit. It's almost cool enough to put on tights instead of shorts. Rest tomorrow, then a 7 mile trail race Saturday. Forecast is 35-40 degrees, chance of snow. I wouldn't mind racing in the snow. It's harder physically, but the mental boost I get is worth the extra effort needed.

Run free!

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,299. Nov 8, 2012 12:29 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

The nor'easter brought us lots of rain and some wet snow that didn't stick.  Headed out early to walk dogs and check on conditions.  Decided to drive to track to avoid puddles, wet leaves and injuring my knee.  Once I parked I realized I had no way to carry my ring of car/house/misc keys.  Ended up carrying them and alternating hands. Any change in routine really throws me off.  Ran 3 miles in 27 minutes - just the track, the wind and me.  Decided to use the wind as a tool - I turned up my speed when it was against me which seemed to be at least half of the track.  Headed to my Zumba class, then home for homemade tomato soup and grilled swiss on wheat.

NHLA - Happy Birthday!

Igotwings - I think I finally love running now too.  It only took 4 year!.

Old Coyote - It must be great to be able to run with such beautiful scenery.  So inspiring!

Melody - Your poor dog!  My dogs are mad that I don't take them running since they aren't allowed on the track.  I try to walk them before I run.  They are soo good at the sad puppy dog eyes.

MaryKay - You are brave for putting on someone else's shirt. Yikes!

Deb - Did the yoga help too?  I've been trying to do yoga stretches daily and it seems to help.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• Luv2Run213 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 6, 2012
    4,300. Nov 8, 2012 1:48 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Chilly day in Southern cali today. Run a faster time but felt so exhausted at work.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,301. Nov 8, 2012 8:49 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Tried a programmed 30-minute workout on the new TM last night. Holy crap!!! I thought it was going to kill me!! Every minute it changed speed or incline. Jog a little, then to 8.5 mph after three minutes. OK, I can do 8.5 for a while. Then the incline started rising. 4, 5, 6%. Man oh man!! Then, about 14 minutes into the run, it started going back down. Thank you. Down to 4%, then......... up again. To 6.5%!!! Still running at 8.5 mph!! I had to hit the reduce incline button. I ran the whole 30 minutes, but I slowed it down a little and lowered it some to finish.

They should describe the workouts in the manual so you don't die trying them out.

Core workout again tonight. Tried a couple new ones from the training film the other night. Different muscles hurt a little.

Coyote...... Legal pot parties in Colorado???? I don't know if that's a bigger deal than gay marriage passing in Maine.

Marykay..... Do you really name your bras?

Melody... Wishing a speedy recovery for your little running partner.

Run warm and dry, people!! 

Feb 23, 2012
    4,302. Nov 8, 2012 10:54 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.4 miles 51 min. Cool and clear.

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,303. Nov 8, 2012 11:17 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hi everyone!

Been away for quite awhile.

Reading your posts to stay connected but doesn't seem like I have any time to reply.

So I am 'commuting' between MN and AZ, and once on the ground, endless driving and staying in different hotels keeps me guessing every morning on my whereabouts, haha!!. 

Not spending enough time at either homes it seems.

oh well............ I somehow manage to run 8 - 10 miles about 3 times/week, the longest was about 11.5 miles.

Really have been fighting off colds that tends to result in sore throat, coughing, and just a tad short of losing my voice, yikes!!

Working with new kids comes with a new batch of bugs!

Running in the wind, rain, cold doesn't help either.

But I was set on running a HM 'somewhere' and despite my dry hacking cough (not contagious but it sure sounds like it), I ran the HM in Tempe, AZ this past Sunday. 

Stuck to my run/walk one minute after each mile/run method.

The cough drops stopped working at mile 6 and I had to stop and cough to the side at mile 7, 9, 11.5 and after the finish.  It actually felt good to cough but it sure left my throat irritated since then.   

Thank goodness I didn't have to talk too long for my presentations yesterday and today!!

Overall the race went well.  I ran this two years ago and did very well.  The course had a few changes but I still don't like the tight turn right before the finish line!!

Official time:  1:59:21; 416th place and 28th in the 50-54 age group.

Was hoping for a 1:55:00 but I'll take it!!!

I rested Mon and Tues, and ran about 6 miles on Wed.  Was gonna run today but it got too windy, cold and it rained!!  BRRRR!! not taking any chances on getting sick again!!

Anyway, flying back to MN tomorrow and hope to run 'somewhere' ............... weather not any better there than here in northern AZ, winter came too soon ........ or I totally missed summer, haha!!

Hope all is well with each of you!

SAFE RUNNING AND STAY WARM!

Trail runner

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,304. Nov 8, 2012 11:22 PM (in response to NHLA)

NHLA:

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY - great way to celebrate!!

Trail runner

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...