Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

59758 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 Go to original post 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23 Previous Next
  • maureen0131 Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 9, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    240. Nov 6, 2012 4:33 AM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

almightyD I will be done before you start - well, I sure hope I'll be done.  I'm on the East coast and it starts at 9 am as well which is 6 am your time.  Check the forum before you leave and hopefully I can write something encouraging about my attempt to do this. 

Jeb - I agree that starting a run at 0500 is insane!  Who's muscles are awake at that hour??? LOL!  I think you are doing so great and I keep wondering if that little incident with your Seargent kinda pushing you to do more gave you the confidence to keep going and go farther each time.  You are going to dust all of them one day!  Sorry you don't get the 12th off, thats bizzare.  Vetrans working on Vetran's Day.  Federal Goverment in the U.S. - Closed.  Ummmm, yeah, that makes sense.  NOT!  Well Keep on running!

Shelly - your story is inspiring! I love how encouraging people are with running.  I've had nothing but encouragement the whole time from friends to the hottie that sold me my running shoes!  I hope we can meet eventually.  I might do the Reindeer Run on Dec 1st in Lakwood.  Depends on how I do with the 2 I'm already registered to run and also the weather. 

I think my knee is improving everyday.  Yesterday I went to the gym and did a cycling class that kicked my butt!!! It was great!  By the end, my knee felt completely fine and pain free.  This am, I woke up and it hurts but I can walk without limping.  I haven't had ibuprofen in over 24 hours.  I've been taking 600 mg 2-3 times a day to get through my days.  I will go to the gym tonight and do Week 5 Day 2 again and see what happens. 

I won't give up, I've got to run......

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    241. Nov 6, 2012 7:19 AM (in response to Nicolette78)

Niccolette- what plan are you on that you are having to run 25 minutes straight in week 5?!?! In the regular plan, you don't do that until week 7!!

Sep 24, 2012
    242. Nov 6, 2012 8:02 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

And good job toeveryone who has completed/signed up for a 5k!!

As for me, I did my W7D2 run yesterday. With the time change, by the time I got home and changed, it was pitch dark outside! Also, it was freezing! I didn’t want to trip on anything or get hit by a car, so I changed my usual route so that I would stay on sidewalks, (which have the added bonus of street lights!). But wow, it was dark and scary out there, and for some reason most of the street lights in mytown are motion-censor, so they don’t even light up until you run near them! I was a little creeped out, but I’m sure I will get used to it. On a more positive note, at least in the dark no one can tell who I am and judge me forbeing such a slow runner, haha! As far as aches and pains are going, I have been feeling a little knee pain on my left knee- I think I might need to use that roller-method again, and start back up with the quad strengthening exercises. Also, with these longer distances of running, my Morton’s Neuroma isaching a bit… I think I may not be able to ever do more than 3 days a week of running, because I seem to need  a day or two to let the Neuroma rest before I start running again.

As for the discussion going onabout whether you can ever enjoy running, here are my 2 cents, haha:

Though I can’t deny that I am still very slow, I am really shocked with the progress I have made… in.. idk how to describe it.. I guess I would call it the “feeling” of running. Whenever I have tried to run in the past, and at the beginning of the C25k, I would feel sooo out of breath, red, and over-worked, hardly able to keep going, etc,during and after I finished a run. It was this uncomfortable feeling that mademe hate running… now I know what it was- I was incredibly out of shape and trying to do way too much, way too fast! I don’t exactly LOVE running now, but I can stand it much, much better than I could when I was huffing and puffingand hardly able to keep going. Now it feels a bit more casual, and when I get back from a run (even though I am sweaty and smelly), I have more feelings of happiness, energy, and accomplishment rather than “OMG THAT WAS TERRIBLE HOW DOPEOPLE LIKE RUNNING! AHH DON’T LOOK AT MY FACE IT IS SO RED! LOOK AT ME I LOOK LIKE I AM ABOUT TO DIE!” J

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    243. Nov 6, 2012 8:29 PM (in response to greenybeany)

I am doing the C25K free by cool running. I actually had to run 20 mins. I also walked five minutes before and after.

My ankle is killing me! I walked a 1/4 mile then started my Nike+ app for my run. I tried pushing through the pain because I wanted to complete a mile without stopping. When I started walking it actually felt worse. So I walked an 1/8 mile and tried to run again. I barely made it back to my driveway. I did break my 1 mile and 1K record because I ran without walking but I had to quit. I have had ice on my ankle for over an hour and it doesn't seem to be helping. Does anyone have any advice? I have to run a 5K on the 17th. I guess I am going to have to go to a Dr.. If I am not well by next week. I hate Drs.. Help

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    244. Nov 6, 2012 9:04 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Wooohooooo!  Ran my best 5k 40.35 in class tonight!  Sooo happy!  Think that will be my goal for my race on the 18th a 40 min 5k.  Got myself a new pair of shoes so that I don't have to run in wet sloppy shoes (love to run in the rain) and I will have a new pair broken in when these are done.

Greenybeany -   I so agree.  I run really slow and don't really try to push it to the point I might pass out :-)  so running to me is not so bad.  I love what it is doing for me and am in awe of the fact I am running 3.5 mi since I was one of those people who avoided walking at all cost.  Spent many hrs going round the parking lots waiting for that close spot so I wouldn't have to walk far.  Now I feel so accomplished after each run, and more in shape each week.

Nicolette- I'm sorry your are having ankle problems. I hope you get an answer soon and can fix it.

• DaddioBraddio Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    245. Nov 7, 2012 5:19 AM (in response to Nicolette78)

Nicolette78:

I did I W5D3 on the C25K yesterday also..and have been experiencing some ankle soreness on my inner left ankle. During the warmup it has pretty much gone away, but yesterday when I went to begin the run after the warm up it flared up.

I switched the side of the road ,from the left side of the street to the right side WITH traffic (very quiet street) due to the "crowning" of the street for rain runoff and it helped ALOT. I was able to make it the whole 20 minutes which surprised me for a couple reasons..because of the ankle soreness and I thought I'd have to take a walk break (but I didn't)!

Today I woke up with no soreness.

I do mix up my routes, but always try to run facing oncoming traffic for safety reassons, so I'm always running on the same crowning to the left to some degree and I think that it may have irritated the ankle.

btw...my FIRST post

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    246. Nov 7, 2012 8:33 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hi all,

Hello DaddioBraddio: Glad you are checking in! 

Nicolette 78:  I hope you soon figure out what is causing your ankle pain.

I just finished W8D3.  It wasn't too bad today, and I even lost count at one point of how many times I'd run around the track.  I'm a little nervous to attempt week 9, but I know I can do it.  Or, at least I'm pretty sure I can. 

I hope everyone is doing well.

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    247. Nov 7, 2012 8:40 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

It was my in between day so I was doing my walk this morning.  There was another guy walking this morning that was either weird or a jerk...can't decide which.  I walked up the road and turned onto the perimeter road.  He was already on the perimeter road but when I got there I was about 20 yards ahead of him.  We were both walking about the same speed so he wasn't catching me, but about 15 minutes into my walk he goes jogging past me until he's about 20-30 yards ahead of me and starts walking again.  My first thought was, "hey there's someone else who's doing c25k or something like it" but he never started running again and he hadn't run at all up until that point.  I know I've seen him when I've been out on a run day before and I've passed him but I am up to the point now that kept on running so it's not like I ever started walking right after I passed him.  Did he start running just so he could get in front of me?

On the c25k front, I did was able to get over to the prison and get my Nike+ uploaded.  I'm not sure how, but not only am I keeping a pretty steady pace even though I'm adding more time to my runs, my pace is actually improving slightly.  Underneath the graph on the Nike+ website there is a split time for each mile which includes your average pace.  I start my Nike+ as soon as I leave our compound so the first mile is always out of whack because it includes some of my warm up walk but since w5d3 the runs are long enough that the second mile is always done at a run.  That pace over the second mile is what I usually look at and it has been steadily going down slightly from ~11:20 on w5d3 to ~11:12 on w8d1 yesterday.  If my math is right I should be down to a 6-min. mile in a few months

Dec 14, 2007
    248. Nov 7, 2012 10:24 AM (in response to jeb6294)

Jeb- I think he was intimidated by your awesome presence ;-)   Your nicer than me. I would have jogged until i got in front of him and then started walking just to see if he did it again and screw with his mind.  Good job on week 5 I'm hoping someday I will have a steady 11:?? pace. :-)

Oct 4, 2012
    249. Nov 7, 2012 8:01 PM (in response to jeb6294)

Wow a 6 minute mile! My goal is 9. Lol maybe an 8 eventually. My plan is to do a couple of 10Ks and then a 1/2 marathon  next year. Then a full marathon in 2014.

I am excited to see your progress. Congratulations

Oct 4, 2012
    250. Nov 7, 2012 8:07 PM (in response to DaddioBraddio)

Thanks for the advice and welcome to our thread.

Everyone is very nice and supportive so you chose a good group! Lol

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    251. Nov 8, 2012 6:12 AM (in response to Nicolette78)

I was totally joking...the only way I will ever hit a 6-min mile is on a bicycle.

Hopefully I didn't jinx myself too badly.  If it says my time went down again I will have to get my phone checked when I get home, I made my 28 minutes but I wasn't really feelin' it.

Sep 24, 2012
    252. Nov 8, 2012 7:23 AM (in response to Nicolette78)

Wow, Nicolette! Those are some heafty goals!!! Can you please explain your thought process as to how you decided that it would be a good idea to do a half-marathon... and a.. WHOLE MARATHON?!?! I wish I had the guts to decide on such large goals!! At this point I'm trying to decide weather I should even try training for a 10k... running for an hour plus seems like a lot right now!

As we are nearing the end of this... what are other people thinking in terms of goals?

On another note, I did my W7D3 run last night. Week 8 here I come! I remember when I first started C25K and would see people (on forums around here) on weeks 7, 8, and 9. I felt like that was just so far away, and that those people were just "on a whole different level," haha. We have all come so far!! Good job everyone! I would say we should have a party or something when we finish, but, alas, we are on the internet!! But each of us should celebrate in our own way and tell each other about it!! hehe.

Sep 24, 2012
    253. Nov 8, 2012 8:59 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I have a question.. Would it be okay if I did a 5K race one week after I finish the Couch to 5k? The thing is, I am doing it by time, so I will only have run 30min at that point, and based on my pace so far, I know it will take me much longer than 30 minutes to complete the 5K. I'm guessing around 38-40 minutes, maybe. I would be trying to run the whole race. What do you all think?

Dec 14, 2007
    254. Nov 8, 2012 2:55 PM (in response to greenybeany)

Greenybeaney-  I think it would be totally ok!   I will be on week 8 when I run my 5k  next week end and my goal is to be 40:??  I have looked on several result sites and there are many who finish slower.    I don't plan to run the whole thing, my plan is to walk the top of each mi.  And as for your other question my long term goals are to run a 5k once a month and to increase my time until i can do it under 30 min, and thats as far ahead as i can fathom right now. 

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...