Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

56694 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 Go to original post 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23 Previous Next
  • jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    255. Nov 8, 2012 8:32 PM (in response to greenybeany)
    Re: Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

I'm guessing you'll do fine.  My wife did couch-2-10k while I was deployed the last time and she was in the same situation.  I guess when you train for runs you aren't really supposed to be running the full distance when you're training anyway.  When she was getting ready to do a 10k she would be running every other day but running about 5 miles as opposed to the full 6.2.  She worked her way up to a half marathon (Cincinnati's Flying Pig) and I think she actually did 13.1 miles once or twice but her training was more like 8-10 miles.  On race day that additional adrenaline kicks in, if anything she says you have to be careful you don't end up going too fast when everybody is hootin' and hollerin' and you can see the finish line.

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    256. Nov 9, 2012 3:23 AM (in response to greenybeany)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

I have found that if I set specific goals for myself it is attainable. I just need a deadline to work for. I am tired of being fat and out of shape. My short term fitness goal is to go snow boarding when we go to WY. To visit my in-laws this Christmas without being so sore that I can not walk the next day. my long term goal is to walk in Aeropostle and buy a pair of white or khaki shorts and a cute cami and look great in them on my 30th birthday!(May 16) I have wanted to wear white shorts like my friends for the last 4 summers and have not had the body or confidence to actually wear them outside of the dressing room. I know those are two shallow reasons and I should probably just say that I want to be healthy for my kids, which I do, but it is 6 am and I have been up all night reading the first two Grey books so I might be a little keyed up... Lol

I think you should definitely do your run.i did mine after completing W4D2. You don't have to run the whole time. I feel a little hypocritical saying this because before mine run I had determined that I was going to run the whole time. I just ended up running when I could and walking when I couldn't (hills). There are going to be plenty of people who are walking. Just do it so you have a base time and set small goals for yourself after that. You can do it!

• shellyruns5 Amateur 19 posts since
    Oct 2, 2012
    257. Nov 9, 2012 6:17 AM (in response to Nicolette78)

Thanks! :-)

Oct 2, 2012
    258. Nov 9, 2012 6:19 AM (in response to maureen0131)

Thanks, Maureen0131!  Making some new friends is the best part of this running experience.  Now when we see each other in the halls, we say "Hey runner!"  Great feeling.  I didn't hear about that run in Lakewood? I'll ask my team about it.

Oct 2, 2012
    259. Nov 9, 2012 6:21 AM (in response to almightyD)

AlmightyD,

Good for you!!   I think all of you guys who time yourselves are so brave.  Each week, I tried to finish before they closed the track for the night!  LOL!

Oct 2, 2012
    260. Nov 9, 2012 6:23 AM (in response to looney2ns)

Thanks so much!  I've been in recovery mode (ok, lazy mode!) this week, but I'm going run this weekend. Weather in Cleveland is supposed to be sunny and above freezing.  Yay!

Oct 2, 2012
    261. Nov 9, 2012 6:26 AM (in response to maureen0131)

Maureen0131, I hope your knee is better?   You know, a bunch of my coworkers are running in that race, but I can't do it. There were also talking about the Turkey Trot, but I'll be out of town otherwise, I might've done that one.  Someone mentioned the Santa Run at Cedar Pt. I'm from Sandusky, so I'll to look into that one. Not sure...

Oct 2, 2012
    262. Nov 9, 2012 6:31 AM (in response to jeb6294)

LOL!  Jeb6294, you're hilarious!  :-)

• dezjeli Expert 57 posts since
    Dec 2, 2007
    263. Nov 9, 2012 4:50 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hi, fellow runners!  I hope you don't mind if I just sneak in here... I started C25K in September as well.  I'm a re-doer.  I graduated the first time Jan 15, 2010.  I was good about running for awhile but without a program it slowly fell by the wayside... I was upset with myself for a long time and decided that I can do this again!  It was a little harder this time - I'm 48 and I'm in W8.  I signed up for my FIRST EVER 5k on Nov. 17th.  I'm nervous but I think it will be good for me PLUS it's on my bucket list.

Good luck with your runs this week and I'll be looking forward to your posts.

Happiness.

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    264. Nov 9, 2012 6:38 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Leighton and I went for a "training " run for our race next weekend (gulp).  I went to the place I did my first C25k day.  It's a square fireld with 3 baseball backstops and a path around the outside. My goal that first day was to run the length of the backstops and walk the rest 4 times. It felt like the hardest thing in the world.  Today I ran 36 min , not fast but I didn't stop. definately didn't brake any records today  but still felt good to see how really far I have come, and to have my little cheerleader yelling "go Mom go!" every time I came by, after she ran her mile that is :-)

good run to everyone this weekend!!!!

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    266. Nov 10, 2012 8:19 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

W9D1.......Wooooo Hoooooo!!!  I just ran 3 miles!!  That has been my goal for several years now, and I finally did it.  I can't believe it.  I tried C25K many moons ago, but I quit about halfway through.  One of the reasons I quit was that I was running by time and not distance.  I could see that I wouldn't be anywhere near a 3-mile run by the end of the nine weeks. So this time I went for distance.  I wasn't sure I was going to make it, especially around weeks 7 & 8, but surprisingly enough, today wasn't that bad.  It was actually a tad easier than the last couple of weeks have been.  I am more excited about today's run than I think I will be when I finish the C25K program!

• dezjeli Expert 57 posts since
    Dec 2, 2007
    267. Nov 10, 2012 8:25 AM (in response to looney2ns)

Congratulations!  That's awesome!  This program rocks.  I'm finishing up my coffee and going out soon...

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    268. Nov 10, 2012 11:11 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Got out this morning in the frost, thought I was going to be cold but was surprisingly comfortable, hot even.   My Gps decided not to work so I can only guess from past runs how far I went and I think It was my best time too  grrrrrrrrrr.

Woohooo Loony2ns on your 3 mi!!!     I still look at the map whenever it says I ran that far to see if it was a mistake :-)

Welcome Dezjeli!!   Good luck on your race !!!   I'll be running my first one on the 18th and crossing that off my bucket list as well.  Will be waiting to hear how it went! I am also 48 (shshshshshshshsh) but I have never ran before trying this. 

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    269. Nov 10, 2012 7:40 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Looks like I'll have to wait until Tuesday to reach graduation week.  I started out and made it about a mile in and, uhhh, I saw a Taliban crawling over the fence so I had to use my newfound hand-2-hand combat skills to rip his arm off and beat him with it until the MP's showed up and then I ran home.  Or it may have just been a bathroom issue again...stupid Afghan beef for lunch yesterday.  So it wasn't really the Taliban, but the way my stomach felt I'm pretty sure the guy who made that beef yesterday was some kind of terrorist.

I just made my turn early this morning so I did get 2 miles in.  The funny thing is that at certain points in my run back I felt about the same, i.e. pain and exhaustion, after going 2 miles today versus 2.5 miles a few days ago which makes me think a lot of this is just in my head.  I'm not going to beat myself up too bad because I was actually a day ahead of schedule.  I was supposed to complete w8d3 on Saturday but we ran out of water Friday night so there was no way I was going to run in the morning without being able to take a shower afterwards and since I ended up taking two days off since w8d2 I just figured I'd jump into week 9.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...