Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

975314 Views 4,714 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 Go to original post 1 ... 300 301 302 303 304 ... 315 Previous Next
  • WDWRich Amateur 17 posts since
    Feb 1, 2012

As much as I love all things running, I'm glad they canceled the NYC marathon.  I grew up on Staten Island and still have family and friends there.  All possible resources are needed for the relief effort at this time.

Just keep on putting one foot in front of the other......

08/19/2012 AFC 5K 28:29

09/01/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08

11/22/2012 Thank you 10K 58:17

01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17

03/10/2013 San Diego HM (registered)

09/01/2013 Disneyland HM (registered)

• pkar Pro 66 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011

HI All

I have been on the shelf for the past month - had some ear surgery, and the Dr. ordered "No running type activities until I say OK." In addition, just to make sure I don't cheat on him, I have been very dizzy. Up until last week, I didn't want to risk driving. I was able to make a short trip to the store on Friday and drove to church yesterday.  Still need to stay off the freeway as I get sudden dizzy reactions that could make me change lanes. Saturday I did a fast power walk, but had to quit after 1 1/2 mi because I was getting dizzier. This should get better as the ear heals. I plan to sign up with the Team in Training again in the spring. Now that I know more about the training program, I think I can do that next HM closer to 3 hours.  After  this long down time, I enjoyed reading the posts that were on this page to catch up.

Mimi - your going back to "run in" others was generous of you. On my inaugural HM last month, the Team in Training mentors and coaches were out on the course and going along with us for short times before taking off to encourage another team member. I didn't expect this and was pleasantly surprised when one would pop up along the route to keep me company for a while.

Ray - I admire anyone who can even wear those five-toed shoes, let alone run in them. Chick power - yay!

Saundra - Welcome to the group. I'm glad you are able to even think about finding a gym that's open with so much that has gone on in your area. My prayers are with all who have been impacted by this huge storm. I do hardly any running - only on the gentle down slopes of a short course. The ratio that I've used on 5K is 5 minutes racewalk/15 seconds run. I know you runners will laugh, but it gives me just enough extra edge to beat in my age group (over 70).

Keep movin'

Phyllis

Phyllis - 87

San Jose CA

Aug 18, 2010 Started walking/running In my Neighborhood, SJ CA 1 mi 26:08 min

My First Race

Nov 14,2010 Habitat for Humanity, Stanford, Ca 5K 56:08 min 3rd Women’s 70+

2012 Events:

1/1/12 New Years Runfor Healthy World Palo Alto 5K 46:33

1/28/12 Coyote Hills, Fremont CA 5K 52:59

3/3/12 Helyer Park, San Jose 5K 46:47

3/10/12 Juana Run Palo alto 8K 1:12:22

3/11/12 Calif. Senior Games Palo Alto Race Walk 5K 44:56 Qualified in my age group for Nationals in 2013

3/17/12 Go Green St Patricks Day Run 5K 31:27 Actual distance run: 2.22 miles

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Hi everyone!

Been awhile.

Still running ........ training in northern AZ and in MN, in the rain, wind and cold.

Traveling between the two states and a hectic work schedule keeps me on the road and in different hotels, nevertheless,I somehow manage to get in 8 - 10 miles at least 3 times/week. 

Had a chest cold with severe sore throat TWICE now.

Working with new kids, new batch of bugs!!  LOL!!

Painful when I coughed.  Was drinking warm OJ/apple juice as much as possible and getting as much rest as I could the last two weeks.

I didn't want to opt out on another race, darn it!!

My longest training run was about 10.5 miles.

Felt ok and as ready as I ever will be so despite the endless dry hacking cough, I ran the half marathon in Tempe, AZ on Sunday. 

Official time: 1:59:21

Overall:  placed 416th.

Placed 28th in the 50 - 54 age group.

The weather was perfect!

I kept to my run/walk one minute/run regime.

The cough drops worked until mile 6 ........... had to stop at mile 7, 9, 11.5 and after the finish line to let go of my coughing spasms, bent over, while the other runners veered far away from me, haha!!

Didn't FEEL sick and not contagious anymore ......... just my dry sore throat needed to have its tickle scratched ...........

My recovery is great, less coughing now and feeling much better.

I am happy with my time and effort; finally getting back to finishing under 2 hours.

Will run tomorrow .............. training for a 10 miler next month but who knows what other races may pop up............ depending on where I am.

I may run the HM in Las Vegas early Dec., a night race down the 'strip' .......... if not, will search for another HM this month and in Dec.

In the meantime, SAFE RUNNING AND STAY WARM everyone!!

Congrats to all the other runners who ran a race over the weekend and this weekend to come.

Trail runner

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Phyllis & AZ, I hope you both are feeling better soon. Dizzy spells and heavy coughing are no fun!

Dan, sounds like you are still recovering. Don't push it!

Rich, I pray for your family and friends still suffering the aftermath of Sandy. I fear it will be a long time before anything resembling normal returns.

My daughter & I walked 8.5 miles Sunday and did a 20 mile run/walk Monday. I told her that she could no longer select the route! Talk about hills! Whew! needless to say, we walked more often than our scheduled 1/1 called for. I'm a bit sore today, esp in my rt hip joint but not nearly as much as I thought I would be. I just hope delayed onset soreness doesn't kick in tomorrow.

After this weekend, I beleive we can actually do this Goofy thing. :-)

Keep focused and happy running.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011

Phyllis and AZ get well soon. 

Phyllis - the shoes aren't that bad really, just need to watch what you're running on.

AZ - you and my wife are close to the same speed.  Just don't cough on the other runners.

Dan, there's no hurry...

MKay, people are basically good, thanks for the articles.

Did a recovery run last Thursday, recovery walk on Friday.  Saturday was yardwork.  Sunday 10 mile hike followed by a 4 mile run on the treadmill with each mile faster than the previous 32 minutes all together.  6 mile easy run yesterday and a 5 mile run today.  Sunday, Monday and today all above 80F with lots of sun -- too warm, especially for November.  Pelicans seemd to moved into the lake Vasona (5 yesterday and 10 today) and the abundant Canada geese are still there.

Run strong.

Ray

Jun 8, 2011

Az, glad to hear from you ! Congratulations on your great run in Tempe and Awesome time!! I was looking at that Las Vegas race. It looked like a lot of fun. The full has a 4 hr limit but the half is quite reasonable. There's a later HM across the Hoover Dam that interested me. I was trying to talk DD into spending Xmas there so I could run it but no dice, so far.

Marie, 8 plus 20? That is Amazing!! You will kill that Goofy thing!!

Ray, those are some great runs. Now, this time of year is when it's not kind to gloat about having weather that is above 60 degrees. I'm struggling here to be outside. For some reason the wind hurts.

5 mi. Sat, a 5k Sun., 3 mi. Mon and 2+ mi. yesterday. All was on the TM except the race. I cut the mileage short yesterday because the nurse told me to stop running to let my chest heal. Today is rest day which means it's time to clean the running clothes for the next two weeks. I think I'm having fun. Sometimes I'm not sure.

Run strong and fearless!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• urun2me Pro 194 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010

Haven't been on the board in a while, but I'm still running! My marathon is Sunday. We're expecting temperatures in the mid 50's at the start and near 80 by the finish. That worries me a bit because I have not handled the heat well this year, but I have decided to relax and enjoy the morning.

Congratulations to all who are still out on the roads and trails. And speedy recoveries to all who are ailing.

Jun 8, 2011

Where?

Mary Kay

Jun 7, 2010

@Mary Kay, San Antonio Rock & Roll.

I ran the Half at this event during the last two years. Last year it was unbearably hot and humid, and a middle aged man died at the finish line. There are so many people entered in this Half that it is crowded from start to finish. The Full, with many fewer entrants, will thin out at about mile ten when the Half course splits off. I hear it gets lonely between miles 17 & 23, but we'll see.

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

URUN-  good luck in San Antonio; we'll pray for temps to be on the cooler side of forecast.  Take it easy and enjoy the day! 

Marie- you're doing great with the training; hang in there and take it a day at a time.

AZ- given your travel schedule your training and racing is going GREAT!   Way to go!  Enjoy the best that MN & AZ have to offer!

Ray- you are right, there is no hurry, and I'm taking full advantage of that!!  A warmer day here in WI tomorrow so I'll try to run outside if I get home from work as early as I hope.  Keep up the good work!

Run strong and safe this weekend friends.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

My thoughts and prayers go out to all who have endured in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.  Take care.

Dan~Enjoy the warmer temps we are expecting this weekend.  I hope we will catch the sun sometime between the rain clouds!  BTW-I am signed up for all of the winter series races.   It would be wonderful to meet you and your wife!

urun~All the best this weekend.  Love your positive attitude!  All of the "mighty masters" who have run marathons inspire and keep me motivated.  Looking forward to reading your RR.

Phyllis, AZ, marykay~Feel better soon!

Ray~Keep up the great work.  Your speed and mileage is fantastic!!

Marie~8.5 miles + 20 miles + designing costumes = AMAZING! 

Kathy~Love hearing from you! 

Saundra, WDWRich~Welcome aboard!

Challenges with my body clock accepting daylight savings time, work schedule changes and too many outside commitments have played havoc with my running schedule.  I really wanted to get my 5k time under 30 minutes this year, but running 2 x a week is certainly not going to get me there.  This Sunday is the first of six winter running events I have signed up for and it is a very flat route.  Sons and DH are also participating, so it will be lots of fun regardless of my finish time.

Run strong, friends!

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

62 degrees and sunny yesterday.  Beautiful day for a 5 miler!  Starting to feel a little better when running this week.   63 and raining today, but plummeting to high teens overnight!  it may be treadmill this week!

Debra- Hope race #1 went well today.  Looking at the series, I think #6, in Hartland on March 16 would be the easiest one for us to get to.  I'll tentatively put that on my schedule and we can discuss lunch after when it gets closer.  Should be fun.

Run strong and safe this week friends

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

Jun 7, 2010

I wrote a long, detailed race report. It took so long to write it that Community logged me out and I lost the post!

So, the short story is:

I promised myself that if the temperature was over 55 at the start I would bail and just run the Half. Well, it was 70 and humid at start time but I didn't want to finish the race at the Half line wearing a Marathon bib. Silly, I know. I started out slowly, using a 1/1 run/walk ratio then gradually moved up to 3/1. All went well until about mile 15 when the heat really brought on fatigue. I had lost my snacks before mile nine (always ZIP your pouch!) and even pouring water over my head and drinking at every water station didn't keep my body temperature down. By mile 21 I had had it and decided to abandon a run/walk schedule and just move forward as comfortably as I could. All I wanted to do was reach the finish line and reach it I did. It took more time than I imagined, but I still got the medal!

On the one hand it seemed like an awful lot of work for no time improvement, but on the other hand I was much more alert at the finish and I have much less muscle and joint pain today than the last time I ran a marathon. I know the speed is in there from the training runs I've done. Speed just couldn't win over the warm morning - 80 by the time I finished. So the marathon was a success!

Best of luck to all this week. Run strong!

• sederleaf Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 2, 2011

I haven't posted for a while, but I just wrapped up my 2012 race season (I think.)

I've been training and running a few events over the summer and fall, and just completed a 10K Turkey Trot last Saturday.  It was a gorgeous late fall day, and there were lots of enthusiastic runners. 

I'm feeling a little lost - I don't know what my next event will be.  There's an interesting half marathon in my area in late March 2013, but I'm not sure it's realistic for me to seriously train for my first ever Half during the Midwest winter.  I have never trained outdoors in snow/ice.

I think a fall 2013 half marathon is more realistic for me.  I need to increase my distance very gradually, so I'll probably just try to maintain a fitness base over the winter, then start adding distance in the early spring.

Well wishes to Phyllis and and anyone else who isn't feeling up to snuff!  And continued thanks to everyone for continuing to post your stories and inspiring us all to keep running!  Run strong, friends!

Sally in MI

Started running August 2009

Big House Big Heart 5K 2009 – 37.42

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2010 – 37.45

Big House Big Heart 5K 2010 – 34.09

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2011 – 33.16

Dexter-AnnArbor 5K 2011 – 33.25

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2012 – 34.28

Big House Big Heart 5K 2012 – 33.30

Dexter-Ann Arbor 10K 2012 – 1:09:19

The Color Run 5K Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti 2012 – untimed

Mackinac Island 8 Mile Run 2012 – 1:34.52