Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

925 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2012 5:58 PM by Dark-Horse
Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
Dec 10, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 9, 2012 3:37 PM

Runs & workouts, Friday, November 9, 2012

Just a 2 mile walk for me today.  I thought about a bike ride as well, but with temps in the 40's and a howling wind, I decided to stay warm instead.

Dark Horse, I know the way I deal with an injury is a little unorthodox, but I've always had better luck if I keep moving.   One thing I DO need to remember is an injury that no longer hurts isn't necessarily healed.   Foremost for me is to always keep my Plantar Fascia protected, if I can do that, this injury should take care of itself.

We'll see, I'm just glad I've got the winter to deal with it....lol

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    1. Nov 9, 2012 3:48 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich nothing wrong with staying warm or taking a day off every now and then.

6 miles today, another cool day, partly cloudy time 51:19 - easier then yesterday, but not too easy.

DH can't control what other people think, that's life.  If they hate me, they hate me.  The animosity, or lack there of, doesn't make me a better or worse person.  Reaching certain weight goals has been an issue most of my life.  Minimum weight for the Academies was an issue that took me 6 months to clear, not sure why it mattered since I passed the rest of the physical easily.  Funny how important that seemed at the time.  And yes, I am an abberation even among my siblings...

Ray

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    2. Nov 9, 2012 4:35 PM (in response to rcuriel)

Ray, you know I was kidding, no one is going to hate you for being skinny ... but some people may be a little jealous!

Rich, do what works for you, but the bottom line with PF is to take it easy. How you define "easy" is up to you. If I'm right, you are a guy who has trouble backing off when he should back off. I'm the same way. Here's an example. Until very recently I was having trouble with a nagging groin muscle that hurt when I did situps. (I have a million physical issues.) I mean this problem had been going on for years. Recently I took about a month off from doing situps, and now the problem has gone away (we'll see for how long, because I tend to overdo and reinjure myself). Taking a month off from doing situps was such an obvious thing to do, in retrospect, but it took me years to figure that out, because I didn't want to stop doing situps. It was part of my routine, and I didn't want to get out of shape. But when I took time off from doing situps, the sky didn't fall. It was OK. I did other things, and the time passed, and now I'm better.

Trying to get myself psyched up to go to the gym tonight. It needs to happen soon, because they close at 9.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    3. Nov 9, 2012 5:34 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

DH, no worries.  I knew you were joking, but I am my father's son and tend to get philosophical every now and then.  Unlike him, I can't blame my whims on alcohol...Hope you made it to the gym.  Don't overdo it tho.

Ray

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    4. Nov 9, 2012 5:58 PM (in response to rcuriel)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Friday, November 9, 2012

There is alcohol in every family. Or drugs, nowadays.

Well, I'm afraid I did overdo during the last mile or two, but hopefully I didn't tweak anything too badly.

5 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, in 41:55 (8:23 mile pace).

Edited to add: Hey, it's a three-day weekend! Now that I am back working at a lousy office job, I really appreciate being released from the cube farm so I can kick up my hooves a little.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...