Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

59630 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 Go to original post 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23 Previous Next
  • jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    270. Nov 10, 2012 7:53 PM (in response to almightyD)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

almightyD, I'm in the same boat you are.  Even though we're in Afghanistan we are up in the mountains at about 5,000-ft so it was 0 this morning, well, 0 celsius which is still pretty darn cold.  On running mornings I'm still only wearing shorts and a dri-fit type long sleeve shirt (Champion Double Dry for $12-15 on Amazon in case you're looking for something good for running) which are really nice but are 100% polyester so they are very lightweight.  My 5-min warm up walk is almost painful sometimes it's so cold but by the time I'm done I am a hot sweaty mess who is , literally, steaming.  For anyone who's getting ready to start running in the cold, that's one of those things that's tough to do...dress for how you're going to feel in the middle of your run and not how you feel when you first step out the door.

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    271. Nov 10, 2012 11:10 PM (in response to dezjeli)

Welcome! Congrats on your signing up for your first run. I will look forward to hearing how it goes.

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    272. Nov 10, 2012 11:13 PM (in response to looney2ns)

Congratulations! WOW 3 miles running! That is amazing! I can't wait until I can do that...

• maureen0131 Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 9, 2012
    273. Nov 11, 2012 11:40 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Well, my knee is improving daily so thats great news!  I am taking a cycling class on Monday and Wednesday nights so I think that helps.   The weather here today was absolutely gorgeous.  It was 65 and sunny.  I ran 3.36 miles - ok ran/walked in 46 minutes.  I am not running a full 3 miles yet and thats ok with me.  It will be awhile.  I need to strength thrain more before I am doing that.  I kept messing up my breathing today which was frustrating but I'm still thrilled I did it.  I ran a 13 minute mile which is more than acceptable to me.  Sunday I'll be doing my first 5k and my only goal for that one and the one I'm doing on Thanksgiving day is to finish.  If I improve my time, thats even better.  I know I won't run the whole thing.

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    274. Nov 11, 2012 3:51 PM (in response to maureen0131)

Maureen -  I think that sounds great!   I never run the whole thing, and I don't plan to run the whole race on sunday either. I'm hoping to finish around 40 min , but just finishing will be ok, gotta start somewhere.  I'm glad your knee is improving!   Good Luck on your race!  I'll be thinkin about you as I'm getting ready for mine! :-)

Oct 26, 2010
    275. Nov 11, 2012 8:06 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

The base I'm on here is pretty huge...if I remeber right I heard 6,000 acres...so we've got shuttle buses to get poeple around.  Apparently the bus drivers must think we are all mental deficients.  The road I run/walk on is two lanes and is plenty wide for a pedestrian on there too.  On top of that there's a 6-8 foot shoulder.  Usually I'll get the slight move over from cars almost like they are just making sure I know they see me more than anything because there'll be plenty of room.  I've had shuttle buses almost run into the t-walls on the other side of the road they are getting over so far.  The other day one of them actually stopped and put their hazard lights on until I got past them.  I guess they must think we're so dumb that we might decide to jump out into traffic.

Most of us in my office are pretty lucky.  Our contractors have to provide us with a vehicle so we can get to the project sites.  This is the only place where picking up hitch hikers is the norm.  The buses aren't on the most reliable schedule so any time I see a soldier waiting I'll stop and give them a ride.  I still hold the office record from the last time I was here when I got 13 guys into my Toyota Hilux which is about the size of a Tacoma/S-10/Ranger at home.

Dec 14, 2007
    276. Nov 12, 2012 9:07 AM (in response to jeb6294)

Jeb - thats funny :-)  but at least they watch out for you.     Sat I had a cement truck run up onto the sidewalk in front of me and I had to run up the embankment to make sure he didn't hit me .  Yep he was texting.   He waved and mouthed  "sorry" as I was hangin onto a tree to keep from sliding back down while he moved his truck.  Gave me enough time to get the lic # and the phonenumber  of the co.    A  car coming the other way did stop and ask if I was ok and did I need any help, and will also be filing a complaint.     And here I thought as long as I was up on the sidewalks I was safe.    Of coarse I don't have to watch out for Talliban climbing over the fence  ;-)  

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    277. Nov 12, 2012 7:12 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Dezjell, AlmightyD and Nicolette78: Thanks so much for the congrats!  I still can't believe I can run 3 miles. 

AlmightyD:  What an awful experience, almost getting hit by a cement truck!  Glad you're okay.

Maureen:  Glad your knee is doing better.  Good luck on your 5K!

Finished W9D2 this morning.  I can't believe I only have one more run and then I'm done with the program.  Wow.  My 6-year-old son wants to go with me to the track to watch me run my last C25K run, but I like to run in the morning before breakfast and it has been really cold then!  Maybe I'll have to go later that morning, just so my kiddo can go and cheer for me.  (We homeschool, so we can go anytime.)

Have a good week, everyone!

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    278. Nov 13, 2012 6:43 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hi all,

I've had a bit of a setback so I am now behind a day or two in the program. My arch has been hurting on and off for the last 5 years since I had a horrible foot injury (the same one that somehow lead to my morton's neuroma), mainly when I am wearing unsupportive shoes. I did some online research and it really sounds like plantar facitits. That makes me sad even though I have already been dealing with it for 5 years. But anyway, my arches have been hurting more and more as I have been running these longer distances, and over the weekend I walked around at a craft fair with really bad shoes, so my foot is still feeling bad. I went and bought some arch supports for my day shoes last night so hopefully that will help, but I already have Super Feet arch supports for my running shoes, and I am wondering if I need something more. Or maybe I will just add some layers of duct-tape to the bottom inside part of the arch to give it some more support where i need it. I am so upset that I got that injury all that time ago. It was so stupid and it was all my fault, and it shouldn't have happened. AND, I was stupid and 19 and in my freshman year of college and I didn't go see a doctor about it!!! Maybe if I had, I could have healed it properly .

Oct 9, 2012
    279. Nov 13, 2012 5:22 PM (in response to almightyD)

Almighty, thanks for the encouragement. This forum is awesome! I don't see Lauraruuning on here but I'm so grateful for her starting this group! I love hearing Jeb's amazing accomplishments. I was smiling from ear to ear as I read Nicolette's blog about her first 5K and I'm inspired by everyone's dedication and resolve! Ill be thinking about you during my 5k Sunday as well! I'm going to put a sign on my back that says "This is my FIRST 5K, so cheer me on!" It will be neat to see how much encouragement I can get!

Greenybeany, we can't change our past. Only our future by what we do in the present. I'm so sorry you are having foot issues. Hopefully it will improve. Don't give up! I had a doctor tell me to stop running. 3 weeks later, my pain is gone and I'm running! The info I got from runners world, this forum  and friends who run really helped me. I found out about foam rollers, stretching techniques, taping, and the importance of strength training. Look up plantar fasciitis on runners world and see if there are things you can do.

Today I ran/walked 3.36 miles and my legs were totally fine. My breathing is another story. It was rather cold out - 35. But I didn't feel issues from the cold. I felt just plain out of breath too much. I'm finding that I'm getting stronger and my stride is faster but my lungs can't keep up! LOL! I'm doing cycling and an elliptical on the days I don't run. It's made a huge difference but I think I may need to add lap swimming to improve my endurance.

Dec 14, 2007
    280. Nov 13, 2012 8:14 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Anyone using the nike+ app have trouble with the GPS?    Tonight It stopped working again so I drove my run after class and the mi were totally off from what I thought . Felt like I was running faster but according to the car speedometer It was the slowest 5k ever. Today has been such a frustrating day all the way around that this was just the icing on the cake!   Rethinking the 5k this sunday if the time I did tonight is my real time.   

Oct 26, 2010
    281. Nov 14, 2012 1:37 AM (in response to almightyD)

I'm using the Nike+ app on my Droid but I'm not sure I can help you out much as far as accuracy.  Oddly enough, there is no Verizon network in Afghanistan so I don't have phone service but the GPS on my phone appears to work.  I do get the little warning message every morning that I have a weak signal but it has never "lost" me yet.  I have a feeling it does that because there are no towers to get a confirmation on my location...from what I read it sounds like the GPS works off the satellites but double checks with the cell towers.  To be honest, I think I would take the GPS over a car's speedometer especially when you're going that slow.  The speed limit on the base is 25kph which is actually 30 on my speedometer based on the radar detecting speed signs they have set up.  Another thing is that the distance my Nike+ is giving me seems to jive with what it should be based on my pace and time.  We have a digital measuring wheel here so I suppose I could actually measure my walk one morning and compare it to what my Nike+ is giving me, but I'm sure I look dorky enough when I'm out there shuffling along so I don't need to make it any worse.

AlmightyD, sometimes I think they should do things at home the way they do them here on base.  You get caught talking on the phone while driving...they take you car and it gets impounded.  You get caught texting while driving...they take you car and it gets impounded.  Driving without a seatbelt?  You guessed it...they take you car and it gets impounded.

Oct 9, 2012
    282. Nov 14, 2012 6:59 AM (in response to almightyD)

Almighty, I use the Nike+ app and the C25K app with every run like Nicolette. So fat they've matched. I first open the Nike + app and put it to no music then start run. Then I open my C25K app and use the music from that and start my run.

The whole point of we are all doing is getting stronger, releasing tension and reaching goals. Please don't let this hiccup talk you out of that 5K Sunday. I'm counting on you! Who cares about your time? Your doing it and that what matters. My current time is 14:26 for a mile. I seriously got passed by a squirrel on Sunday!! I don't care. 3 months ago I couldn't go up a flight of steps without being out of breath. It will take me 49 minutes to complete that 5K. I won't be the first, I won't be the last. But I'll be there!

Keep on running!

Oct 26, 2010
    283. Nov 14, 2012 8:14 AM (in response to almightyD)

Another thing I started thinking about is that if you're having issues maybe it's a problem with your phone or the GPS in your phone.  According to the Nike+ website "the Nike+ Running app uses the GPS functionality and your mobile device's built-in accelerometer to accurately measure the distance of your run" which to me sounds like the Nike+ isn't so much a GPS app as it just grabs the phone's GPS info to track/map your runs.

• sy5temfire Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 14, 2012
    284. Nov 14, 2012 8:27 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I'm new to this as well!  I'm inspired by my younger sister who took up running after college and has now completed a half-marathon (on the Great Wall in China, no less!).  I just walked my first 5K for the American Heart Association 2 weeks ago and have a 5K Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day.  I've gone from being a floor nurse to a desk nurse, so joining the gym was a much needed endeavor for me.  I downloaded a C25K app and am ready to go.  Hope to find fellow newbies and support on here as well.  I've heard running on a treadmill should be done at a slight incline to simulate outdoor running.  Is this true? 

I'm 29, 5'6, and 160 lbs, but very muscular in my legs.  Is there any way to slim down leg muscles to fit into skinny jeans?

Leigh Anne

Pittsburgh, PA

Leigh Anne

Just started C25K!

Week 1: Week 6:
    Week 2: Week 7:
    Week 3:Week 8:
    Week 4:Week 9:
    Week 5:
1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This