Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

577248 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 287 288 289 290 291 ... 327 Previous Next
  • NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,320. Nov 12, 2012 6:37 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

4 miles 26 min. Whew!

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,321. Nov 12, 2012 2:04 PM (in response to NHLA)

Yowza. 6:30 per mile pace!?!?! That's moving.  I'd have to chugh a pint of 5 hour energy drink to do that.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,322. Nov 12, 2012 2:08 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Also I'm glad that the Perfect 10 was held on Saturday instead of Sunday.  Although warmer, it was insanely windy.  The first five miles would have been heading South into the wind.  Talk about resistance training.

Ah yes, and for more on early 20th century marathon training methods, see The Lore of Running, 4th Ed. by Tim Noakes M.D.

He also has a section on the Jack Daniels method of Marathon training.  Not making this up, although it's not what you'd expect.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

Feb 23, 2012
    4,323. Nov 12, 2012 2:44 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7,3 miles 58 min. 2 a day before the rain.

degre:  Books that will not be published : " How to run a marathon on 80 miles a week."  "How to get rich in 45 years" 

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,324. Nov 12, 2012 5:05 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

TM repeats workout tonight. 2 mile warmup, then 10 x 400 @ 1:40 pace (200 jogs), then 3 x 200 @ :45 pace (100 jogs), then cooldown jog. Total 6 miles, 50 minutes. Good thing about it...... Felt GREAT.

NHLA.... Do you wear a cape when you run into town?

Melody... Take it easy getting your partner back into running shape.

For all who dare run in the cold.... you are too dedicated!!!!!!  I have a couple winter races I'm mulling over. Most likely not, but I'd love to try one. But I'm cold when it's 50 out.

Have nice days, runners.

Aug 19, 2011
    4,325. Nov 12, 2012 6:29 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Webpro.... Hopefully, like with broken toes, this problem will self-heal with time.

Coyote... Your 1,000 mile mark got me wondering. I checked my YTD on my running log, and I'm at 1,151. If you add yours and mine together, we're just 3,749 miles less than NHLA!!

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,326. Nov 12, 2012 7:15 PM (in response to NHLA)

All, sorry for delayed response but still trying to get back into it!  So many posts, so many good news stories, will try to respond to as many as I can right now.

NHLA:  Happy Belated B-Day!  And good luck with the ladies, although it does not appear you need much luck!

coyote:  Great trail race post!  Thanks for bringing us all along.  Still want to catch up one of these days.

melodylea:  Hope your BF is better soon.  Understand the "cold" part of your story as Winter seems to have set in here in CO also.

degregrorious:  nice 10 miler!  Sounds like you are back in the groove...no more "dead legs"!

jmsab:  impressive, as usual, TM work!  Any update on Caleb?  Constantly think about him and all others facing struggles like him.

webpro:  Hope you get back to feeling normal soon.  What a toll we put on our bodies and then wonder why it doesn't just respond like we want it to. 

az414: welcome back...keep running strong!

francessmom:  nice tribute to our troops!  Thanks to all that are serving, have served, or will serve.  I sleep much better at night because of them.

mkayc:  Best of luck in Philly!  It's a super flat, friendly course so sure you will do great!  Take it easy early and finish strong!

justrundan:  back in the saddle! Run strong!

Finally starting to get it back.  Went out on Saturday for 6-8 miles and ended up running in the sleet/snow (note to self: sleet in the face hurts!).   When sleet started had no choice but to run faster and finish sooner.  Got in 7 miles at faster than expected pace and felt great when done.  Welcome mother Winter.

Am in Panama now, and will get out for 4-5 miles along sunrise over the Pacific Ocean (yes, I meant to say that so go figure it out) in the morning.  Hope to do same on Wed or Thur before return to CO.

Hope you all are having a great running week.  Run strong, but most of all, be fearless!

Sep 18, 2011
    4,327. Nov 12, 2012 7:27 PM (in response to linuscatch)

jmsab:  For what it's worth, your post caused me to go back and check my mileage to date.  The good news is that I have nearly 1100 miles, blood, sweat and tears this year.  The bad news is that you, coyote and I are still over 2500 miles short of NHLA.  Once again proving there is a difference between good and great!

Cheers to NHLA!

Sep 18, 2011
    4,328. Nov 12, 2012 7:47 PM (in response to linuscatch)

And again, for what it's worth, and probably meaningless, the records show that those 1100 miles included over 6 miles of elevation gain (clearly something I never thought I was capable of) and over 150,000 calories burned. In round terms, that equals 50 pounds of fat burned.  Then to worry that I have gained 10 pounds by eating more carbs than before almost sounds silly.

Point is, we lose perspective how much good we are all doing for ourselves.  Many of you have told stories of great weight loss (snerb, nhla, coyote, and others) but more to the point is that we are all staving off and even defeating Mother Time and the inevitable weight gain that occurs over time.

Team, I couldn't be more proud than to associate myself with you all.  Your hopes, dreams and lifetime aspirations are unfolding in front of you, whether you realize it or not.

Keep up the great work!  Proud of you all!

Feb 23, 2012
    4,329. Nov 12, 2012 9:45 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.4 miles 51 min. Rain, wind, & cold. Dang that was a tough run.

No Cape required. I am a Baad Man.

Trying to get to 80mpw. 18 miles today. Good start.

I guess I do run alot,

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,330. Nov 13, 2012 6:34 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Linuscatch - "Team, I couldn't be more proud than to associate myself with you all. " - right back at you!  You all amaze me

Melody - hope your little friend is recovering nicely.

NHLA - "I guess I do run a lot" - you're just now figuring that out??    You are an inspiration for us all!

Had a nice run this weekend, turned out to only be 5.34 miles but I had not eaten so knew I could not go much more than that anyway.  Weather was beautiful, I could wear capri's and a short sleeve tee.  So much nicer than running all bundled up!  My Jingle Bell run challenge ( run on Thanksgiving 1 mile per team member who joins before this weekend) is up to 5 miles and I know one other person who is planning to join after their payday this week, so it should be a real nice run to start the holiday.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

Aug 19, 2011
    4,331. Nov 13, 2012 5:33 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Did crosstraining tonight. Funny thing happened while 3 1/2 yr old grandson was here Saturday: he was downstairs playing for a couple minutes, so I went down to check on him. He was straddling the exercise bike, asking me to see the numbers on the (previously blank/dead) screen. I had been using my stopwatch for the past month to time my biking. I checked the screen, and "Voila!" He had the numbers back!! I asked him what he did, but, of course, he didn't know, so I just gave him a big hug and high five and told him he did great. Whatever he did.

So, tonight I did my 2 sets of core/strength exercises and then 30:12 (15 miles) on the bike.

Tomorrow a.m. it's supposed to be cold, barely above freezing. I told my son's buddy I'd really try to make it, so I took out my thick running pants and some more cold-weather gear and I'm trying to convince myself it's the right thing to do.

Boy, do I hate the cold. We'll see.

Linus.... I just called our friend, who is our connection to Caleb, before I logged on. I didn't think to ask, as we were discussing our planned Myrtle Beach trip next spring. But I will ask next week when we see them again.

Oshcat... Sounds like a great challenge you have going with the Jingle Bell Run. Good Luck!!

NHLA..... If Linus's reasoning is correct, you are on your way to living to 237!!!!

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,332. Nov 13, 2012 6:09 PM (in response to linuscatch)

Linus-you are so right.  Although I have a little over 1/2 the milage you do this year, if I consider where I was at when I started running and where I am now, I've come a long, long way.  Face it, we all have!  And you are so right, it is a privilege to be associated with you all and participate in your struggles and success with you.  I have appreciate all your support in this last year. 

Continue on friends!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

Feb 23, 2012
    4,333. Nov 13, 2012 7:56 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7.3 miles 58 min.  Everybody noticed I stopped wearing glasses. This just doesn't happen. Think I'll go freak out my eye doctor.

Its not the distance or the time its the awareness.

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,334. Nov 13, 2012 8:18 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

8.69mi - 10:35/mi.  - I am still a newbie. Been pushing those distance limits - started to feel some achillies pain today - wasnt sure if I should stop running vs. risk injury. ::Knock on wood:: Im so new at this, I havent had an injury yet. Today was a crappy day, 41 degrees, wet - on and off rain, and near the end of the run, hail.

The hail actually pushed me to keep going. Mentally I thought that a guy demoted to walking in hail looked sad and pathetic but a person who chose to run despite the hail looked cool. 

So far, snow is holding off. Planning on cutting back a little over the next 10 days - Thanksgiving - work - tendon pain. Probably going for a bike ride on Thursday or Friday. I am about 33% towards my goal of running a Marathon in May. 0.5mile weekly increases get me to 22.0mile runs by end of May. I got this!

NHLA congrats on another great couple runs.

linuscatch do you want to add my 261 miles to coyote, yourself and jmsab to only be behind NHLA by 2240 miles? In all seriousness- very nice comment #4328. I am in the group that has yet to realize the weight loss goals I have set for myself. I am feeling and seeing a difference in body shape, clothes fit and energy - despite the mostly unchanged scale. This year, I have done more running than I even have in my life. And I still have 6 months where I had 20 miles or less. I am finally to a point where I could do 20 miles in a week, as long as I stay healthy.

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...