Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2851 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 10:47 AM by TheTo RSS
PatrickBi Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 31, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 31, 2012 5:06 PM

200+ pound club

What are the best shoes for training with a moderate flat foot and 20-40 miles per week

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    1. Nov 1, 2012 1:59 PM (in response to PatrickBi)
    200+ pound club

Theres really no such thing as a best running shoe because everyone is different.  There are many different shoes each of which can be capable of correcting minor to moderate imbalances.  The best thing to do is visit a nearby running store.  The staff there can evaluate your running form and make a recommendation based upon all of the factors that are pertinent.  Good luck!

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Nov 7, 2012 12:50 PM (in response to PatrickBi)
    200+ pound club

I agree with Brad about getting a professional recommendation.  In general, you would probably be considering a motion control shoe with some additional cushion and heel support. (Also important if you tend to overpronate)  All of the most popular brands offer models for greater stability, so you may also want to just experiment some to find the best match.

Best wishes!

• marc_okicich Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    3. Nov 14, 2012 8:40 AM (in response to PatrickBi)
    200+ pound club

Patrick,

I concur with the above.  I've used the Asics Gel Kayano for about 15 years and have always been happy.  I do about 20-30 miles/week and weigh 260.

No foot issues or pain.

Best of luck.

Marc

• Sandra Dragosz-Pittman Rookie 1 posts since
    May 11, 2012
    4. Nov 14, 2012 9:45 AM (in response to PatrickBi)
    200+ pound club

You might want to try different types as well... I use the minimal Vibrams, which many professionals might discourage you from using.  There is a lot of personal choice involved as well.

• TheTo Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 14, 2012
    5. Nov 14, 2012 10:47 AM (in response to PatrickBi)
    200+ pound club

First of all, if you are running 20 - 40 miles a week you won't be 200+ lbs. for very long.  However, I would suggest Nike Air Pegasus 29.  Of course it all depends on your foot and your running style or gait.  And, if you have a Dicks Sporting goods store go there.  Dicks has a 90 day return policy on all footwear.  If for any reason you don't like your shoes Dicks will issue a full refund.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...