Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1449 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 11:29 AM by Rich in NH
rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
Mar 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 14, 2012 1:59 PM

Runs & workouts, Wednesday, November 14, 2012

First off I want to thank both Rich and DH for the suggestions on next training program.  Checking on Pete's book on Amazon mentions another book I'm going to try and get both.  They mentioned in the review the other book has some 6 week training cycles and the shorter cycles appeal to me (can you say impatient, I knew you could).

Second, on injuries and accident proneness I am very familiar (and my sons take after me...) - let's just say I'm one of ten and I'm pretty sure that I equalled my siblings in emergency room visits.

But, my running injuries were fairly few and far between until I started running again.  Let's all hope we can remain injury free going into the future

IIRC, Pfitzinger won the SF Marathon the second time I finished it, back in '86 (or was that the year after?).  I thought I was better prepared for that one then the first, but I wasn't prepared.  Think I had about 3 weeks for 25-30 miles per week.  Just squeeked in under 4 hours and that was doing the first 20 miles between 2:40-2:45...

7.05 miles in 59:27 last mile at a 7:55 pace.  Was trying to run easy, but competitive nature got best of me near the end (a couple of people to catch and pass).

Ray

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    1. Nov 14, 2012 4:01 PM (in response to rcuriel)

Ray, good run. Yes, let's all try to avoid injuries! I have decided to cap my weekly mileage at 20, as one anti-injury measure.

Rich, what's this you say about losing muscle mass? You don't want muscle mass anyway, do you? When I run, I just get skinnier as I get in better shape, until finally I look like the guy who gets sand kicked in his face in the Charles Atlas comic book ad. But you know what, that means I can outrun the bully.

7 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, in 59:35 (8:31 mile pace).

Kind of an odd day for me. A couple times at the office, I felt dizzy and lightheaded, like I might pass out. I wondered a couple of times if I might be coming down with something. Then on the treadmill, I got lightheaded again, and I was worried I might pass out and hurt myself. Every mile for the first four miles, I considered stopping because I felt so weird. But toward the end of the fourth mile I got a second wind, and ran faster and faster after that, doing the last mile a little under 7:00.

Chess club tomorrow night; I may not work out again till Friday.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    2. Nov 14, 2012 4:22 PM (in response to rcuriel)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The first marathon I ran, I followed an on-line training program and didn't really like it much.  I remember doing a long run one day, then trying to do speedwork the next as instructed.  It didn't make any sense to me and I really haven't tried a structured program since.  Obviously, I don't have a clue about how to train myself either, if I did, I wouldn't be walking right now...lol

Sounds like you found a wall in the marathon you described Ray, not many things will ruin your day any quicker, eh? lol

Anyway, I walked 3 miles on the railtrail today.  I was thinking during the walk maybe I should take up racewalking.  Splits were 16:35, 15:27 and 15:08.  Must be the weight gain...

Nice run Ray.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Dec 10, 2007
    3. Nov 14, 2012 4:19 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Dark Horse, my legs are where I'm losing muscle.  Not much, but it'll get worse the longer this lay-off goes on.  And yeah, the more I run, the stronger they get, so they do bulk up a bit.

I like to compare runners to Popeye and Olive Oyle, we've got Popeye's legs and Olive Oyle's arms...lol

I wonder what's going on with getting light headed and dizzy.  A fluttering heart will do that, maybe an appointment with a doc is in order?

Dec 16, 2007
    4. Nov 15, 2012 4:16 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich in NH wrote:

I wonder what's going on with getting light headed and dizzy.  A fluttering heart will do that, maybe an appointment with a doc is in order?

Rich, I've had my heart looked at a few times in recent years, due to chest pains and unusual EKGs at my Army physicals. Every time the docs say I am fine. They say my typical EKG just looks a little different than most people's, and the chest pains are due to nerves. I do tend to get dizzy at times, but they say that is due to low blood pressure, not my heart. In fact last year after a treadmill test, the cardiologist told me, "You're not going to die from heart trouble."

Man, this morning when my alarm went off, I was still feeling it from last night's 7 miles on the treadmill. I lay there like I was stunned, and it took me 10 minutes to get out of bed! Fortunately I get up so early, I was still early to work--just a little less early than usual.

Dark Horse

Dec 10, 2007
    5. Nov 15, 2012 5:36 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)

I noticed that 7 miler yesterday, you've really picked it up lately D.H.   If my memory's right, that's more miles than you were running in an entire week not too long ago.  You're sore from this one, but the next 7 miler should be easier.  Again, way to go!

I believe there's a certain level of running that actually contributes to us feeling good.  It has to do with getting a good night's sleep, having a healthy appetite, as well as eating right and having the energy to lead an active lifestyle.  There's a commercial running on tv that says "a body in motion tends to stay in motion, etc."  and it's true.  It may not just be running, but certainly exercise of some kind is a big contributor.

And that's good news about your heart, but I thought it was something I should mention.

Dec 16, 2007
    6. Nov 15, 2012 6:49 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich in NH wrote:

You're sore from this one, but the next 7 miler should be easier.

Rich, I'm not sore at all.

But as I lay in bed last night, I said to Dark Mare, "My legs just feel really, really tired." After my run I showered and gorged on food and water. In the bed at night, Dark Mare said, "Wow, I can really feel the heat coming off of you." I felt like my body was a power plant.

I know, I'm talking as if I ran a marathon and it was just 7 miles, but you know I'm not a distance guy, and I'm not in great shape right now either, so it was "kind of a big deal" for me.

After shutting off my alarm this morning, I lay in bed for 10 minutes as if I'd been tasered. When I got up, I found Dark Colt sitting in his room wide awake playing with his smart phone--he never went to bed last night! I said, "Why don't you go to bed NOW?" He replied, "I'm meeting so-and-so at the gym in a few minutes." Dark Colt is one of those kids who has an answer for everything.

He regularly pulls all-nighters--in HIGH SCHOOL! And Bucking Bronco, now in college, is EVEN WORSE! Recently B.B. told us, "I go to bed about four or five times a week, but not for long." Usually he naps sitting up in his chair at his desk! When I was in high school, I got up an hour early before a final exam once, and that was so unusual I still remember it! What is it with my kids? I'm not sure if they are working hard, or just really inefficient and poor at managing their time. Maybe school is harder today. They both get very good grades, but I got just as good grades in high school as they have gotten, and I hardly ever brought work home.

Dark Horse

Dec 10, 2007
    7. Nov 15, 2012 11:29 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Prone to injuries or not, it sounds like your body's adapting to the stresses you're throwing at it, D.H.   And I know exactly what you mean by "power plant", I get the same thing.  I guess I'd describe it as feeling "energized."

And I don't know what's up with your sons, that's amazing the way they require so little sleep.  The way I  understand it, quality sleep is important, especially REM sleep, when the body repairs itself.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...