Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3901 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 7:51 AM by TimSchneider RSS
JRF2k Rookie 5 posts since
Jul 2, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 13, 2012 10:49 AM

Just finished my first half and want to go all the way now. A problem...

So, last Sunday I completed my first half marathon in 2 hours and 14 minutes and 6 seconds. People tell me this is a good time for my first. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

I want it all now. The whole 26.2!

The problem I've been running into is any runs over 10 miles makes my knees sore for about 36 hours after the long run. During my long runs I do form checks every 3 miles or so, but I guess it could slip there at the end when I reach my maxium distance. Anyway, other than form, what else could sore up my knees like that? I seem to recover quickly from it and don't have any other knee problems. So, it is that right now 10 mile is my peak and anything other I am pushing myself? If that's the case then if I can just keep running 10 miles my body will adjust and I will be fine.

Looking for experiences and opinions. I've never ran so many miles in my life!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

If you have no medical/physical issues which none of us will know.  Your body and mine will adjust to the additional miles if done correctly.  I would advise getting you weekly miles up to around 35 or so then pick a race about 18 weeks out.  Find a 18 week plan that will fit your schedule and start training, do not worry about doing it for a time on your 1st marathon, just train to complete.  Your mine will make things hurt sometimes when you get to new distances and time running.  Good luck

"  There will be days that you don't know if you can run a marathon...but there will be a life time of knowing that you have.  Marathons are all different, but each time you cross that finish line, you hunger for the next one...it's a great feeling of accomplishment".

• VINCELEANO Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 7, 2012

good for you on your distance and time.the soreness is simply your nees adjusting to the milage.try iceing after your runs. it should help.good luck

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011

Congrats on your first half!  It is a wonderful accomplishment and good motivation to continue on with other races.  I agree with the advice to follow a good training plan for the full and give yourself some time in extending to longer distances. 

Knee pain is very common in running, so check out your shoes and get a professional evaluation about pronation (normal, under or over) and that will help determine the best options for footwear.  Also, cross-training may be of benefit with stretching and strength work focusing on quads, calves and hamstrings.  In addition, try to train on softer surfaces because that will lessen the impact on the knees and increase those miles slowly to avoid over-use injuries.  Finally, glucosamine and chondroitin supplements seem to work well for some and might be another option for joint health and offsetting the possibilities of OA. 

Sounds like you are doing great and wishing you every future success!

• Ali-Gator Expert 43 posts since
    Jan 2, 2010

Congrats on your half!  It sounds like you had a great race & you've caught the running bug full-on.   

I have found that when I incorporate some strength training into the mix, I stop having knee issues. There's been some research suggesting that a lot of knee problems originate with weakness in the hips, which then affects your form.  Squats, lunges & dead lifts are all good. 

3/7/10: Seaside School Half Marathon & 5K  --  28:53

3/27/10:  March for Misty 5k Fun Run  -- 28:47

5/1/10: Fiesta of Five Flags 10k -- 1:01:46

6/5/10:  Billy Bowlegs Night 5k --  27:18

10/2/10: Epcot Wine & Dine Half Marathon  -- 2:20:53

Follow my training blog:  http://alisonisrunningfromthelaw.blogspot.com/

• 64spokes Pro 59 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009

I second the 'ice' advice.  Personally after finishing a long run I want to soak in a really hot bath, but I've learned from experience that that doesn't help in the long run.  As soon as I get back, I wrap my foot or shin or knee tighly in a cold pack.  Whatever hurts most, and I keep a couple of them in rotatilon to whatever the problem spots are.

Training for what would have been my first 1/2 Marathon 2 years ago, I started getting knee pain after 8-9 miles.  Like an idiot, I tried to push through it.  I ended up missing that race (and the entry fee) because I kept trying to train get back to that distance.  Instead of going farther every run, I was going shorter before the pain came.  The next year I was a lot more careful and finished my 1st full marathon (also using Hal Higdon).  This year I've just started tapering for my 2nd marathon.  I had a hiccup a couple of weeks back with some early shin splint signs.  I iced a lot, took some ibuprofin after runs, and backed way off for a couple of weeks.  What I realized was that I would rather be able to do the race even a bit slower from having missed a bit of training, than have to skip it altogether because I made the problem worse.

CIM 12/4/2011 (1st Marathon) 3:27:19

Run Rocklin 12K 4/7/2013 52:59

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

If you are going to do the MCM, be ready to sign up on Mar 27 last year the race sold out in three hours!!!!  It's a great 1st or for that matter any # marathon I have done it the last 4 years.  Shoes need to be changed out some where between 300-600 miles.

• TimSchneider Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 8, 2012

I second the shoe advice, most shoes break down around 300 miles depending on the surface you are running on. Ice is great too along with some strength training. If the pain is below the knee cap patella area, that is first sign of needing new shoes.

You might want to change up the surface you run on as well. Concrete is much harder on the joints than say grass or a trail.  Asphalt is softer than concrete as well.

Try some different surfaces and see what happens as well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...