Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

792 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2012 7:03 AM by Rich in NH RSS
Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
Dec 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 15, 2012 8:46 AM

Excellent authoritative medical article on plantar fasciitis

Rich, I recommend you read to the end, even though it is long.

It has some good advice that I believe you are not following. It even has illustrations of good stretches, which have helped me.

It also has a picture of a night splint, which you need to be using, but I bet you aren't, because I know how you are.

?http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0201/p467.html

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007

Excellent read D.H., thanks.  For some reason the forum's software won't let me respond, but let's see if this will go through.  "Inappropriate content" was the error message, which I read through a 1/2 dozen times and still couldn't see what I'd said that was wrong.  Go figure, eh?

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Dec 10, 2007

Ok D.H., the gist of this article seems to be, to stop what you're doing long enough for the Plantar Fascia to heal properly.  That each morning, when you step out of bed after sleeping with your foot in a relaxed position, you undo whatever healing that's taken place overnight.  I'm assuming that's the pain we feel those first few steps, the healing has to take place when the foot is in a flexed position.

I tried yesterday to buy a night splint, but couldn't find one in this one horse town I live in.  Sooo...., with a sock, a couple of safety pins and an ace bandage, I made my own version of a Strassburg Sock, http://about.thesock.com/works/ a contraption designed to hold your foot in a flexed position while you sleep and mine worked pretty well. 

When I got up this morning and took those first few steps, there was a big improvement in the amount of pain I felt. 

So now, if I've actually started the healing process and haven't torn it down this morning, the next step is to protect it by not doing something stupid, like go for a run. 

I'm going to rest and try this for a few days.  I may cross train, but won't do anything to undo the healing that's going on.

Thanks again!

Dec 10, 2007

D.H., I wonder if a deep tissue massage would get rid of the build-up of scar tissue you've created over the past few years of fighting P.F.  As you know, scar tissue is weaker than the surrounding tissue and susceptible to re-injury, but can be removed through massage.  Something to consider.

I'm shocked at how much better my foot feels after just one night of sleeping with the foot in a flexed position,   and my home grown version of a Strassburg sock was reasonably comfortable.  It wasn't that complicated to make, just pin an ace bandage to the end of a sock, put the sock on, pull the bandage tight and take a few wraps just below the knee and you're done...lol

I'll look into a splint though and keep up with the stretches.

Thanks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...