Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

53290 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 Previous Next
  • looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    285. Nov 14, 2012 9:09 AM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

I did it!!  W9D3 is DONE.  I didn't do so badly on time, either, even though my legs felt like they were pushing through mud the entire way. 

To amuse myself, I like to come up with silly rhymes while I'm running.  So here is today's:

My nose is cold, my toes are numb,

Whoever said that running’s fun?

The temp must be ‘bout 10 below,

I’m sure I’ll catch my death of cold.

It’s dark right now, and misty too,

With fog as thick as split pea soup,

To think that I’m out here instead

Of snuggling in my nice, warm bed.

My lungs they burn, my chest it pounds,

My joints are creaking, what a sound!

My face is sweaty and it’s red,

Was that a raindrop on my head?

Two laps to go, I’m almost through,

The fog has gone, the dark clouds too,

The sun is warm, the sky is blue,

And did I say I’m almost through?

It’s over now, my workout’s done,

I’ve finished yet another run!

I’ve feeling in my hands and feet,

It doesn’t hurt so much to breathe…

I feel great!  I really do!

I really love to run, it’s true!

I just can’t wait to get outside,

To hit the road and find my stride!

If you've read my past posts, you know that I don't actually find running all that fun.  However, I'm hoping that if I keep telling myself that it is, and keep working at it, then perhaps one of these days I will believe it. 

Good luck, everyone!  I'll keep checking in to see how y'all are doing!

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    286. Nov 14, 2012 11:18 AM (in response to maureen0131)

Maureen, thank you for the encouragement! And thank you for being so motivational!!! I also liked your story about the squirrel. haha. I know you weren't directing that towards me, but I think if everyone else is like me, we were all revved up about running after we read that! Congrats on your knee feeling better, by the way!

Well, I bought some dr.scholls arch inserts to go into my daytime shoes, and I went to the doctor to get a recommendation for a podiatrist. I think if I wasn’t running, I think would be fine getting along with arch supports and/or goodshoes (as I have for the past 5 years), but I am guessing the podiatrist will tell me that I need some good custom orthotics. And, I agree. I can never seem to get enough arch support on the inside of my injured foot. The Superfeet inserts that fleet feet sold me just aren’t cutting it. But, I will make an appointment and see what he says!

Welcome Leigh Anne! You will definitely lose weight, but your leg muscles will get bigger and more toned from running!! I don't think that will be a problem though, as they should appear slimmer... which should help you get into those skinny jeans!

Sep 24, 2012
    287. Nov 14, 2012 11:23 AM (in response to looney2ns)
    Re: Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

THAT IS THE BEST POEM EVER!!!! I can't believe you really came up with that while you were running!!!  I am very impressed!!

edit: And congratulations on finishing!!!! Good job!!! Hopefully we will all be joining you soon as C25k Alumni!

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    288. Nov 14, 2012 4:36 PM (in response to looney2ns)

Love that poem!!!   Hope you don't mind I copied it and will be putting it on my inspiration board for my 1000 mi in 2013 group.  A friend of mine started it on FB last year  to get people aware of just moving and they are what inspired me to start the C25k.

Congrats on finishing!   Did your daughter watch your last run?   My daughter is running her own race (the kids race) when I do my first 5k this sunday.  I'm hoping she continues a life of activity and doesn't have the problems I do.   Keep us updated hoping everyone continues this  thread  even after they have finished the C25k.

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    289. Nov 14, 2012 4:49 PM (in response to maureen0131)

I absolutely laughed out loud when I read your comment about the squirrel! My husband asked me what I wad laughing about and had a good chuckle when I told him.

AlmightyD... run your race. I haven't run since last Tuesday because of my ankle. I am running a cross country 5K on Saturday. My goal is just to finish. Don't worry about your time. Just do what you can and celebrate your completion. I finished towards the front with 34 minutes. If you finish in 45 you will have plenty of company. There were people who finished in 57 minutes. Just run your race!  You can do it! Just remember how far you've come. I can't wait to hear how it goes!

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    290. Nov 14, 2012 7:58 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Holy s---balls I did it!  Finished w9d3 this morning, and with some extra credit to boot.  I'll have to get my Nike+ uploaded to see how much extra credit I got, but it should be a run of about 3.25 miles or so.  Here's a shot of my usual route in the mornings (don't worry this is straight from Google Earth so I'm not disclosing any secret Gov't info and the start of the red line isn't really where our compound is so no targeting help for the Taliban):

Run.jpg

Up until this morning I would follow the red line and go a little further each week whenever my run time went up.  That red line is about the furthest I had ever had to go to get my 28 minute runs last week.  This morning, I decided that I was going to do "the loop".  Sgt. Snesavage can't even do "the loop" sometimes and ends up walking part of it...of course he runs a lot faster than I do but I'm fatter than him so for my own satisfaction I'm going to call that a wash.  Instead of turning right this morning and following my usual route along the red line, I kept going straight along the green line.  I was probably right about where the red line ends when my Podcast beeped at me to let me know my 30 minutes was done.  At that point I was determined to finish so I kept at it and made it back to our LSA.  I think by that point I was running purely on stubborness.

Oct 26, 2010
    291. Nov 14, 2012 8:06 PM (in response to sy5temfire)

sy5temfire, seeing as how I am from Cincinnati when I'm not in Afghanistan I probably shouldn't be aiding someone from Pittsburgh, but you're new here so I'll let it go this time .  This is a website I found once upon a time with treadmill conversions:  http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php

• PineGroveDave Amateur 7 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    292. Nov 14, 2012 8:41 PM (in response to jeb6294)

Well done. It's a great feeling of accomplishment, is it not?

Oct 4, 2012
    293. Nov 15, 2012 8:25 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

My second 5K is coming up on Sat. I am nervous! I have been having a lot of aches and pains. Tonight I couldn't run after my first mile. My left knee was killing me... The race is cross country so I am extra worried about rough terrain. Wish me luck!

Oct 4, 2012
    294. Nov 15, 2012 8:28 PM (in response to Nicolette78)

Oops forgot to attach my run. Very sad.... My first 1K was a record breaker though!

Attachments:
    Sep 24, 2012
    295. Nov 16, 2012 6:34 AM (in response to Nicolette78)

Good luck of your 5k tomorrow Nicolette!!

Congratulations on finishing, Jeb! And 3.25 miles! wow!! Any plans for whats next?

As for me, I'm still on break from running. My last run (W8D1) was one week ago today, but it feels like so much longer. I never thought I would be saying this... but I really miss running!! I've been looking up info about Plantar Fasciitis and I'm pretty certain that is what it is, so I have been icing my foot and I found a taping method that really seems to help. I'm not going to start running again until I see the Podiatrist, though, because I don't want to risk hurting anything even more.

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    296. Nov 16, 2012 6:45 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Congrats Jeb on finishing and going the extra mile ....hahahahaha

Nicoloette - Good luck on your race!   and way to go on breaking those records!!!

I have a renewed energy on my running and weight loss.  My Mother had back surgery on tues fallowed by a stroke last night.  It is going to be a very long recovery for her and I am NEVER having that surgery. Thats where I was headed and strolling towards a heart attack and stroke as well and I will be running in the other direction.    Down 47lbs as of yesterday ( since starting with Dr in aug) ! Going this morning to pickup prerace packet for sunday plan to write my age, weight and time on that bib after I am done and maybe even a small raceday snapshot of Leighton and I.

Oct 26, 2010
    297. Nov 16, 2012 7:47 AM (in response to greenybeany)

Apparently the SGT found another loop that is right at 2 miles.  I was thinking about sticking with the same schedule as before but maybe try doing 2 miles with a faster pace on days 1 and 2 and then doing a long run around "the loop" on day 3 with my usual walk on the in between days.  I'm definitely going to keep doing something...I feel great and I didn't do all this just for the sake of finishing it.

We went over to shoot some archery at the prison today so I was able to upload my Nike+ stuff.  My distance was pretty close to what I thought it was but the thing I was also really happy about was that my pace was the same as all my previous runs and it was pretty consistent over the entire run.  In fact, my last mile was actually my fastest by 3 seconds/mile.  Now that I know I can run the distance, I'm hoping I can improve my pace with shorter faster runs.

Oct 4, 2012
    298. Nov 16, 2012 7:58 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Thanks for the well wishes guys. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to run tomorrow. My knee is messed up. My husband who has knee surgery doesn't think I should risk further injury. He wants me to take 2 weeks off to heal. I am going to listen because I want to be a lifetime runner!

Oct 4, 2012
    299. Nov 16, 2012 8:00 PM (in response to greenybeany)

Congrats on your weightloss! That is awesome. What did you say you were doing?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...