Agree with what many others have written. Very disorganized, no signage, late start (personal pet peeve), no water, no security in bag check, no water stop during the race, no water at the end, no water to clean up with, o.k. shirt, safety issues on the course. Would like to do another race like this, but won't do it with the same people who put this one on.
Still had a GREAT time. Next year, offer better stuff or lower the price A LOT.
Wow, everyone seems really disappointed with this event and I totally get it.
People come to these events and the only chaos they want to experience is when their running and completing the obstacles.
I ran at 9am and I didn't have trouble with Registration. The lady who signed me in was very nice. I ran Tough Mudder last November so I guess I just don't expect too much from these events and that race was organized 10x better than this one.
A lot of people mentioned the watering station. Or the lack of water, but I think everyone was blind, because I had plenty of water from the watering station. There was a UHAUL with water and bottles of water by the registration. It was clear to me where the water station was located.
My biggest issues were the course and the missing wash hose. The "fire pit" and a "dip in the pond" were missing from the course. The fire pit is what I look forward to the most. And there wasn't a hose to wash the mud off. If it weren't for the watering station that everyone seem to have missed, I'd have went home dirty like everyone else on the shuttle bus. (Maybe that is why everyone had a hard time finding water. Sorry guys)
The bottle necking can not be blamed on the event organizers. Bottle necking is due to slow runners and their grandma. The earlier runs tend not to bottle neck. That is something I learned at other events.
Oh, I almost forgot. So there was the electronic tracking right? Well how come my name doesn't show up on the result list. My bib ran that race twice, I should see my name somewhere.... shouldn't I?
Although it wasn't what I expected, I had a great time.
And like everyone else, I will not pay to do this event again. I hope the volunteer fire fighters of "where ever" county raised a lot of money and I sincerely mean that.
Terrible!!! Where do I start? Let's start from the first poor experience and we'll move on from there. First the $10.00 parking at a public parking lot so we can wait in line to board a bus that I had to stand on. The actual registration process was o.k. except for the fact that on the online registration form you can select a XXL t-shirt only to find that they only carry XL when you get to the race. Once I found the starting line which was not clearly marked, we started at 10:00. The herd of participants starts heading in the wrong direction shortly after the start because the course in poorly marked. After two random volunteers yelling at us that we're going the wrong way, we backtrack up a hill heading in the right direction. The actual course was fun, but I was looking forward to the absent fire pit. After finishing the run I went to rinse off at the fire hose station. This is were I witnessed a creepy firefighter take over the hose and inappropriately spray a few females in the chest...and this is the fire station my registration fee is going toward! At least I got to sit on the bus ride back. Lastly, I pull up the race results today and my brother and I's time results are switched. For $65.00 a person I am extremely disappointed. I will never run this race again. If you are reading this review, I suggest you look into the Warrior Dash instead of Mud Chasers.
was disappointed with mud chasers. thought that the course was poorly marked. difficult to find water at the end. no music for the earlier heats-at least play the radio if the band isn't set up. no real announcement that your heat was starting. had emailed the organizers to see if their would be a bag check, and was told there would not be-only to find out when I arrived that there was one, but had left my stuff in my car too far to retrieve. stick to warrior dash, it is much more organized.
Mudchasers was so disappointing. The course and obstacles were lame, at best. All in all, I paid $65 (parking and entrance fee) and I can only hope that Hereford Fire Company got a good portion because that money didn't go to good race. My one positive note is that the check in went smoothly and the folks at the registration tables were nice. For some constructive criticism, 1-please have the bands set up and playing BEFORE the first heat (the atmosphere lame and people come for a good time), 2-ANNOUNCE when the heats are starting (with some sort of enthusiasm); 3-If you are going to have 12 obstacles, as announced on the website, make sure you deliver; 4-People come for a challenge, the obstacles were not a challenge; 5-If you're giving away products to participants make sure they're quality products (definitely quality over quantity). I hope the organziers read the reviews, take the criticism constructively, and revamp the event.
Don't waste your money!!! I'm sure the bulk of the profit, and there had to be a lot of profit because next to nothing was spent on the actual event, did NOT go to the fire company. Instead of chalking this one up to a good cause I feel more like I was scammed!
1.$10 parking fee- so I could wait on line for a half hour in the cold wind while I'm still covered in mud because...
2. No hose to rinse off with
3. No signs or any overall direction ie; starting line , or course directions.
4. NO WATER! I have never run a race that did not offer water at the end. Even my running club that only charges $2 a race has water and snacks at the end.
5. No announced waves. I was told that I could just go "whenever", and in retrospect I wish I had gone when there was no other runners starting because....
6. I had to wait at least 2 minutes at 2 of the obstacles because of bottlenecks.
7. The obstacles were few and far between and could have been so much more fun, but they were instead boring at best.
8. An MC would have been nice. Could have added some excitement or enthusiasm. I definitely wouldn't recommend bringing any spectators because there was nothing for them to do.
9. Crappy shirt=cheap, white cotton, and dog tag opener that doesn't even have your logo or a chain?
10. And last but not least, my personal favorite....the "chipped-timing" was WRONG!
1. Good cause...but again, I wonder how much of the profit actually went to the fire company.
2. Okay mug. It at least it had the logo on it and it wasn't as scratchy as the shirt.
Overall it was a terrible waste! The only way this event would be worth me doing again is if it was less then $15 and if I knew what I was getting into beforehand. The website is really nice and fools you into thinking this is a professionally run event but it is NOT.
i was disappointed. for $55, I expected more organization and resources. i expected to see more staff out on the course, water and food for runners, a place to hose down, music/mc... also, i would suggest holding the md race during a warmer month.
#1 The course was not marked - I followed someone off the "trail" for about half a mile and even with that detour there is no way this course was even 2 miles long. There was no one telling us where to go, there weren't markers on the grounds or tied to trees guiding people, nothing.
2. Someone told me afterwards, when I was driving home, that we were suppose to run the course twice. What?! There was no one telling us that, no way you could run past the mud at the end and have your time recorded and then go back and start over, AND the website had prices if you wanted to run it twice, so why would anyone think they needed to run it twice to equal the advertised distance?? And who would want to?
3. Complete lack of organization (2 women checking in every person?!), no idea if kids should get bibs or not... Bus drivers having a full bus but not leaving (who knows why). Bus drivers having no idea where they were going and asking the passengers where to turn.
4. No actual start times so you started running alone (or with the friends you came with)....
5. Beer at the end - oh wait it wasn't there. I don't even drink beer but am disappointed to hear that people were told a beer was included and then they couldn't even get one. (Note this issue came up with WD last year and they offered compensation to all runners.)
6. No water station ANYWHERE on the course (okay so it was such a weak and short course we didn't need any.)
7. Obstacles were weak. A "mud pit" you could walk through and only get your feet wet in? Hay bales that I just read below we were suppose to "hop" over? They were on the side of the trail, I thought they were just decorations. A cargo net that you claimed we would crawl under and get muddy - not one person was seeing crawling under it - they were bent over walking. And part of the trail was running up a hill trying to get around/past the people who were walking up the same hill to get their bibs???
Horrible race. Would never give it a second shot - and this is the first time I've ever complained about any race....
ACTIVE is the leader in online event registrations from 5k running races and marathons to softball leagues and local events. ACTIVE also makes it easy to learn and prepare for all the things you love to do with expert resources, training plans and fitness calculators.