Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

577560 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 289 290 291 292 293 ... 327 Previous Next
  • MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,350. Nov 16, 2012 4:26 PM (in response to NHLA)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Another great run!! My goal was three runs back to back and I did it. 3.5 super strong miles this morning. Chilly at 30 degrees, but not as cold as yesterday morning.

OshCat I sure hope the Zinc works! Dang. Maybe some Vit. C too

NHLA "Had to wear camo" ? Because that's what you have or you need to blend into the landscape. 

DebM Run report???  <~ I cant seem to unbold this! Not meant to be yelling at you Deb. 

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,351. Nov 16, 2012 4:38 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Got out of work very early today, and the wife is in Conn. with her family this weekend, so the dog got her walk, then I hit the downstairs for a real workout. Two sets of core/strength exercises with a few minutes on the bike between the two sets, then to the TM. 1 1/2 m. warmup; 4 x 200 sprints (100 jogs); 3 sets of 3 x 400 sprints (100 jogs, 200 walks between sets); then 6 x 100 sprints (100 jogs); finishing with almost a half mile jog cooldown. Total 6.5 miles, just over one hour.

Total workout: 1:50.

NHLA.... wearing camo to keep warm, or so the women in town don't see you?

Oshcat.... Here's wishing you good health for your Jingle Bell Run and for the whole winter, too.

Melody, and Oshcat ... My hands are cold just reading your posts!!! I can bundle up and snowshoe in it, but I'm no fan of running in winter cold, especially below 30, never mind in the teens or single digits!!!

"I don't usually run in cold, but when I do, I run Tres Layers. Stay warm, my friends."

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,352. Nov 16, 2012 6:43 PM (in response to jmsab23)

After bad day at work, I didn't have time to walk the dogs and run, so I decided to run with the dogs.  I have been avoiding this because my border collie sometimes scoots behind me and nudges my legs to make me run faster, and in the process trips me up.  But they needed a walk/ run as much as I did.  I put on my knee brace and headed out for a 2.5 mile easy run, all paved.  I used a Y leash so my Aussie could keep the BC in front of me.  I let them off the leash once I got to the local grade school which is surrounded by woods.  My BC took off after a deer and came back quite bloody from a wound on his ear.  I was very glad it was almost dark as we ran the last 1/2 mile home, as both dogs as well as legs were quite blood-spatter.  It took a good 20 minutes of pressure to stop the bleeding.  Needless to say, I lost track of my time.  Tomorrow I run alone!

NHLA   Do you run more than once a day?

Jmsab  My issue with the cold are  #1 that my glasses fog up if I try to were any kind of scarf, #2 my eyes water to the point where tears are streaming down my face. Even today with temps around 50 my eyes were tearing.

Oshcat  and Coyote  I hope you both feel better soon!

So what runs do you have planned for Thanksgiving?  I was going to do a 5K Turkey Trot but nearest one is almost 1 hour away.  So instead I will try to do a 5 mile run around town.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,353. Nov 16, 2012 8:14 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Yes, I ran this morning!!  4.2 miles.   33 degrees.  Took a few stretch breaks.   My muscles need to acclimate to running in the cold.  Thanks for the encouragement everyone!    And  no, MelodyLea, I didn't think you were shouting, but I probably needed it any way. 

OshCat - feel better.  I am a huge fan of Zicam - it has saved me from a full blown cold many a time.

Francessmom - I hate the cold too, but there isn't much choice in New England.  My eyes water during the first mile or so, but I still have to carry tissues in my pockets.  I swear my nose runs faster than my legs.  And yet I'll go camping in the mountains in November.  Go figure.

NHLA - did the camo work?

jmsab - so cool to organize a C25K group.  Good Luck!

OldCoyote - I hope the hip feels  better soon. 

Happy running and stay warm.

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,354. Nov 16, 2012 10:21 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.4 miles 58 min.

camo is warm. below 30 grear.

I run a lot of 2 a days when building mileage. Still trying to get to  80 mpw. Its easyer if you break it up.

I think I might make it this week.

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,355. Nov 17, 2012 5:55 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

After the Chicago's Perfect 10, I took it easy.  I did a short high intesive interval training run at lunchtime on Wednesday,  (Short as in 30 minutes.) Other than that, does standing up at work count as training?  I had my desk modified to work standing up. (OTOH, I am NOT walking on a slow moving treadmill while I work. That looks hazardous. Check out the Commonhealth blog to read about that.)

Although, when noone's looking I do march in place. :-)

Speaking on marching, I did what I call a "March to Marianos", a 21/2 mile walk from work to the nearest Mariano's Fresh Market.  The novelty of having a new grocery store chain in the Chicago area hasn't worn off yet.

For the non-Midwesteners on the list Mariano's is a subsidiary of the Milwaukee-based Roundy's chain, It entered the Chicago area market two years ago.

Try the produce.  Very cheap.  [DISCLAIMER: I have no financial connection with Mariano's Fresh Market or Roundy's, although large chunks of my paycheck end up there :-) ]

Today's Saturday, and warm enough for a long run.

Mayyou all be kale and hearty..I mean hale and hearty.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

Nov 27, 2010
    4,356. Nov 17, 2012 11:14 AM (in response to degregorius)

I tried LSD again!!!!

I mean Long Slow Distance. (Whadya think I meant?)

15.3 miles in 2:29:15

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,357. Nov 17, 2012 12:11 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Francessmom - I know exactly what you mean about lacerated ears.

DebM - Yay! on the 4.2.

MelodyLea - Yay! for the bold font.

I determined my hip pain was sciatica and not musculoskeletal, so running on relatively level, non-technical trail is OK. Went on a 12.3 mile group run up Waterton Canyon this morning. Weather was 40 deg at the start and a light wind, but the sun was out so short sleeves it was. I took the out half easy; it's uphill and I did it in 1 hour flat. I was the slowest of the sub-group and after I reached the turnaround I determined to not get dropped on the way back. So I started out keeping up, and then had to tighten my laces (faster pace + downhill) and it took me a mile to catch them after that. Settled in to a good pace and ran with the leaders the rest of the way. Second half 54 minutes flat, 8:47 pace, which is pushing the pace a bit for me on a long run, but you can't get faster if you don't run faster.

Level II Smug Alert: The climate here is such that the answer to the question "What do you do about your running when the temp drops below freezing" is "If the sun's out, wear shorts."

I'm not going to do a Thanksgiving day run. I think I'll smoke a turkey, a small one. I'll get it started and then go do 5 miles while it smokes up . I think I'll do a club run December 2nd, a 4.5 mile road race.

Run Free!

Nov 27, 2010
    4,358. Nov 17, 2012 1:25 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

Old Coyote: When it gets to freezing, I will break out the tights-sun or no sun.  Until then?  I'm ore interested in keeping my upper body warm.

And here's hoping that the sciatica is not too limiting.

NHLA: How do you find tome to run 80miles a week?  If I get in 20 plus, it's amazing.

Also: Someone-I forget who-recommended using Map My Run.  You have my thanks, espcially since Active.com has "disaapeared" the shoe tracker, and the mapping program.

Feb 23, 2012
    4,359. Nov 17, 2012 3:04 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

12 miles 1 hr 41 min. Carl Sanburg home and back. Nice day 41 degrees. Only 11 miles short of 80 miles.

degre: I have been standing at my desk for years. I used to use a drafting table. Now I use a re-loading bench. It helps your back and drives co-workers nuts.

OC hope you get better soon.

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,360. Nov 17, 2012 4:40 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Happy Saturday everyone!

Overcast all day, threatening to rain or snow anytime but temps steady around 40 degrees ~ so tempting to cuddle up on my comfy sofa, with cup of hot cider &amp; do nothing but watch a movie: do need the REST but the thought of gasping for breath in my next race got me off my butt, dress in my winter gear, wore a thicker balaclava as a cap to keep my ears warm &amp; toasty :() Found my 'groove' about 5 miles, whew! Finished 10.25 miles in 1:40:03, WHEW!! Contemplated going for 12 but temps starting dropping &amp; I started getting very hungry :(( low sugar, losing energy ........ will need to add more mileage next few runs .......... 10 miler &amp;/or HM in Dec when back in AZ......... no turkey trots up here, bummer!

OC: hope you aren't sidelined too long, those TRAIL miles are hard to get back esp with the distance you've racked up.

NHLA: you continue to amaze me!

Melody: WTG!! 3 days in a row!

Deb: kudos on staying motivated &amp; running Fri! Support system made sure you did, lol!!

Stay warm &amp; safe everyone!

Trail runner

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,361. Nov 17, 2012 4:52 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Had to work today, but still wanted to run when I got home, so hit the TM and pushed out a nice, hard 4-mile progressive run, running the last 3/4 mile on 9 and 10 mph. Finished in 29:10.

Degreg.... Had to laugh when I read you tried LSD again. Then Coyote says he's smoking turkey. Couldn't have been better timing.

DebM... A runner true to her word!!! Good for you!

Francessmom..... When I run with my Husky, usually pretty fast, she catches a whiff of something (or thinks she has) and stops on a dime to sniff as I go hurdling over her or into a ditch trying to stop.

NHLA.... My wife has been standing at her desk job for a few months now, due to her hip issue, but I don't think she's heard of a re-loading bench. We'll have to look that one up. She's going for arthrscopic surgery in three weeks.

Melody.... Accomplishing a goal is always a good thing -- Great job!!  Is three in a row the most you've done? Is four in the works?

Run safely, people. This week I'm giving thanks to all of you for the continued support, advice, and encouragement I get here, from the regulars and those who might only check in occasionally. It's a great thread and I'm glad I found it.

Feb 23, 2012
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,363. Nov 17, 2012 10:27 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 28 min cold night. Looking for meteor shower but haven't seen any yet.

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,364. Nov 18, 2012 6:03 AM (in response to NHLA)

Philly Marathon and HM today! GO MaryKay!  Perfect weather.  Temp at 8 AM was 41, sunny and very little breeze.  I wish I was running the half!  Can't wait to here MaryKay's race report.  Headed to Philly around 10 with my family, may be we will see some of the race?

This AM ran easy 4 miles in 38 minutes.  No pain, no problems.

AZ - Do you bring along any fuel, gels etc, when you run longer distances.  If I run over 7 miles, I need to have a GU or I will bonk.

Great runs everyone! Just like Jmsab, I am very glad I found this thread.  Thank you for sharing your running with me!

Stay strong!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

Actions

More Like This