Skip navigation

2831 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 12:06 PM by huffy1029 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • RalphFuetterer Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 9, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 22, 2012 10:33 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: SLO GranFondo 2012 Reviews

Last year had me coming back.  This year had me thinking the organizers weren't planning on a next year.  Too bad, because the volunteers did a terrific job.

• brrosetti Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 16, 2012
    16. Oct 23, 2012 8:53 AM (in response to Guest )

I thought the event was great. Some places were poorly marked but that is why they hand you a map. Can't wait for next year.

• retat50 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 2, 2011
    17. Oct 23, 2012 1:49 PM (in response to Guest )

First time - did the 50 miler, great support along the way - only problem area was getting thru military base - no markings.

• Dave Gold Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007
    18. Oct 24, 2012 7:48 AM (in response to Guest )

This was the second year I've ridden this Century.  I'm an experienced Century rider.  The weather (especially headwinds) was not as good this year (not the planner's fault). I found the SAG stations to be ok, they needed more protein and salty snack options.  The route markings were absent in some of the Cuesta College area, leading to confusion.  When I got to the finish line it seemed like the fair at the end had already packed up and left (no food or entertainment as advertised) although it took me longer than usual due to headwinds and riding with a slow friend.  So overall I was not very impressed this year.  I've ridden better organized and run centuries.

• WilliamBurnette0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 2, 2012
    19. Oct 24, 2012 10:23 PM (in response to Guest )

Good volunteers but ran out of water at second water hole, unacceptable. Barely saw sag wagon.

• slsmb Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2010
    20. Oct 26, 2012 10:09 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first and last time doing this event.  The SAG was terrible. There were no marked SAG vehicles and the ONE van I did know of,  was back at the Mission at the end of the day....while there were still riders out on the course!  The nutrition was incorrect for a long distance ride. GranFondo could learn a few things from the Lighthouse Century, Solvang Century, Cancer Challenge Ride....  I do want to thank the volunteers, they were great... if not for them it would have been really bad.

• Veerpal Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 6, 2011
    21. Oct 30, 2012 10:26 AM (in response to Guest )

The 2012 event was simply horrible. After completing this same event in 2011 and enjoying the experience, I made the trek back to SLO from San Diego this year. It looked like a money grab, like the organizers weren't planning on running this event in 2013. No timing chips, no tshirts, a lack of carbs at stops, no water, and no meals at the completion! The route was poorly marked and didn't account for construction that was brutal on road bikes. The results were a mess, stating that several of my teammates were DNFs. All for the bargain price of $125! It's clear the organizers took the cash and ran! I hope the money truly benefits the charities they claim to support as none of the other promises were met.

• huffy1029 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 31, 2008
    22. Nov 19, 2012 12:06 PM (in response to Guest )

Great ride! Really appreciated the flaggers at intersections and volunteers at water stops. Heard complaints of the route not being marked well...I used the route slip provided and did just fine. Thanks for a beautiful ride, loved the band at the end!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...