Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

661887 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 290 291 292 293 294 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,365. Nov 18, 2012 7:12 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

The sciatica is not bad; I had one bad attack several years ago when I was fat and lazy. Since the best treatment seems to be proper posture and core strength, running is therapy.

degreg - I broke out the tights this am because of the wind

az1414 - Nice 10 miler!

nhla - Getting in some good, quick miles.

48 minutes/abt 4.25 miles up South Table Mountain, 6:45. Temp was 30, wind was brisk out of the west and it was a beautiful morning! Visibility to the horizon, which is about 30 miles at the top of the mesa. Air so clear that I could recognize landmarks with the naked eye at nearly 20 miles. Saw a couple of deer, a small doe, and a spike buck that was nice and fat for the winter. The scenery was so bright, the contrast so sharp with the sun rising, that it's easy to see how the early settlers saw Long's and Pike's Peaks from 100 miles away and thought they'd be there by supper.

Run free!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,366. Nov 18, 2012 1:53 PM (in response to Old Coyote)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Another awesome run! On a beautiful, crystal clear morning, I ran 8 miles feeling super strong. It was "warm" at 35 degrees. I'm so happy. Feeling like I'm back to where I was pre-half marathon.

jmsab23 NICE workout! Re: the cold...I agree, the cold is a challenge. I feel that as a New England transplant from California, I can either become hostage to winter here, or I get out there and embrace it! Re: 3 runs back to back, I was there pre-half marathon, so its great to be back at that level.

Francessmom What an ordeal, running with those pups! Luckily I have just my one little dog, who finally has recovered from her surgery and will get to run with me on Tues. Yay!

Debm2011 Good for you, Deb!! Keep it up, girl.

degregorius That's very cool about standing up at work. Smart man! LSD is my FAV!

Old Coyote It sounds like the hip is manageable. That's great news. Mmmm...smoked turkey! Your run this morning sounded a lot like mine, only with Berkshire Mountain scenery. Beautiful! It's easy to feel deeply grateful on mornings like this, no?

NHLA You rock, as usual!

az1414 Thanks. Really nice long run in the elements! Bravo!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,367. Nov 18, 2012 2:27 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

9 miles 1 hr 22 min  82 miles for the week! Tired feet.

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,368. Nov 18, 2012 2:30 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Glad your run went smoothly! Here's rooting for MK too! My regular route run is about 4 miles consisting of mostly paved road but about 3/4 packed dirt road in neighborhood ~ So I get to run by my house about every 2 miles, sounds kinda boring but it's pretty quiet & sometimes I'm priviledged to see a family of deer chasing each other through the state land woods behind our home on 3acres ~ anyway, I don't carry water or food becuz I can stop at the house for that when I need to. Got low on fuel that day becuz I ate too early & ran later than planned.  I do carry water, dried fruits, gatorade, gels, etc when I run more than 6 miles esp trail running in AZ. No nearby water stops on trails & may not see other runners/hikers/mt bikers for miles. Gosh now I am missing my trails :((

Trail runner

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,369. Nov 18, 2012 5:50 PM (in response to az2mn)

NHLA - congrats on breaking 80 miles this week - I don't know how you do it, although maybe if I ran as fast as you do, I could get more miles in too. 

jmsab - still amazed at such long TM runs

Francesmom - glad to hear no pain on your run

OldCoyote - sounds so beautiful!

MelodyLea - I'm happy to hear you're back to pre-HM levels - that means there's hope for me, too, right? 

az1414 - if I looped by my house I'd be tempted to go inside and stay there - esp. if it were cold. 

MaryKay - how did it go??

6 miles and 28 degrees this morning.  Longest run since the HM and coldest all season so far.  How did Thanksgiving get here so fast? I just realized that on Friday I have a 4.25 mile race - "To Hill and Back" - hmmm the  "Hill" part never really sank in before - and it's a doozy, too.  But I refuse to be stressed about it.  It's my local Y's race so it's in my back yard -  so to speak - familiar territory (except that hill that I've never done).  Yesterday was 2 hours of leaf raking - talk about good core work! 

run strong and stay warm!

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,370. Nov 18, 2012 6:29 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Melody- Good job on your strong run.  You are really back in the groove!   I see from your future races you are planning waaaaaaaay into the future.

NHLA- I take my hat off to you.  What a model of consistency! 

OC-love the pictures you paint of your runs.  It's pretty here, but that's something else entirely!

The weather here was so nice for late November I had to run outside despite the deer season activity.  48 degrees and slight breeze.  4 miles tempo run on my usual route.  Nothing drastic, but made myself work harder than I have been recently.  Planning on doing a 5K Turkey Trot early Thanksgiving morning;  very low key event sponsored by the coach of the HS CC team; "No frills, No shirt, No fee".  Just bring food item for local food pantry and you are in!  I may persuade DD and DS to run with me, since they'll be back home for the big day.  That would be fun.

Run Strong and Safe this week friends.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

Feb 23, 2012
    4,371. Nov 19, 2012 4:41 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 27 min. 14 min out & 13 min back.

Dan wear orange. Hunting season runs me off some of my favorite trails. Sounds like a fun race.

Deb thats an odd distance for a race.

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,372. Nov 19, 2012 3:41 PM (in response to NHLA)

No run today. My 47 year old body needs a day off to recover between runs. I did mow the lawn - hopefully for the last time until spring. When I put on my current lawn-mowing shoes, I got really sad. They are my favorite running shoes (ever!) now demoted to lawn duty. They are Asics Gel Kahana, jet black with silver and royal blue stripes. These are the shoes I used most of last summer into fall and carried me through a Masters Trophy for a local 5K, a triathlon, and my first trail race. The color made me feel fierce and the fit was perfect! I have had 2 new pairs of Asics since then, grey not black, but they just don't have the same magic.

NHLA - Are you training for an Ultra?

Dan - Your Turkey Trot sounds like how most races should be run. I never really care about the t-shirt or refreshments or awards. Its all about running with like minded people and trying to get a PR. It is nice to give back to the community.

Deb - Yard work is excellent cross training. So you are really multitasking!

Melody - Congrats on getting back to form! Is there another half in your future or perhaps a full 26.2?

Old Coyote - I can picture it in my head. You are lucky to run in such a beautiful area.

AZ - When not at track, I run tentacles out from a corner a block from my house. That way if I need to stop I am not stranded miles from home. The corner store has a digital sign with time and temp which is very helpful.

I hope everyone has a fantastic Thanksgiving! I am thankful for my ability to run without pain.

Stay healthy and happy!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,373. Nov 19, 2012 5:54 PM (in response to Francessmom)

NHLA Your really are so inspiring for many of us here! Nice work.

az1414 That's clever to pass by the house for your water, etc. I'd be afraid of getting sidetracked when I walk through the front door and then never get back out!

Debm2011 Thanks, Deb! It's good to get that first longish run in after the HM and welcome to winter!

justrundan Thanks. Yes, I'm giving myself all winter to build some endurance and speed. I'm hoping to mostly enjoy the season. Your TDay run sounds great. I love the no-frills approach.

Francessmom Rest is good! Sorry about your fav. sneaks. Maybe a new style will pop up for Christmas. Yes, I'm planning on either the Maine 1/2 or the Fall Foliage again. I did a full marathon 35 years ago...I'm not sure if this 53 year old bod is ready for that again. My goal is to run injury free for the next 15 years!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

Feb 23, 2012
    4,374. Nov 19, 2012 5:48 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7.2 miles 52 min.

frances there is no telling what I'll run. I get my base up run some long runs then pick a race.

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,375. Nov 19, 2012 6:04 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4.10 miles today, 39:52; a little 'warmer' today, about 47 degrees when I ran but it sure does cool down quickly! 

Short run today:  had to walk a few times when a couple of neighbor dogs ran up to meet me, barking away!! scary but I just walk until I feel 'safe' ........ haven't gotten bit .....yet; also, hubby called to inform me of change of travel plans forThanksgiving: in-laws and sister-in-law and her family are visiting us instead for the weekend!  I'm not much for the holidays except for New Year's but we are looking forward to them visiting our new home.  No snow and temps in the 40's predicted so it should be nice to do some activities outside. His family is wonderful but not 'active' so that should be a challenge, haha!  Glad they are traveling here instead of us driving 5 hours there.  Staying here, I will be keeping up with my running for sure, YAY!!  

Justrundan:  I wish we had an event like that here.  I enjoy those 'no frills, no fee' events, and as it should be 'year around,' we should be keeping our local food banks full. Since you are near MN, I'm gonna have to bug you for some summer races around WI and MN area. 

Francessmom:  That is so frustrating and a sense of loss when your favority shoe is discontinued, 'been there, done that' .............. feeling your 'pain,' being 52 yrs young, "just one more run" in our favority running shoe is a bit risky when you have to add days to recover, LOL! 

OC:  WOW!! that has be to an incredible view of the 'peaks' ........... having lived in Denver for a couple of years, I loved my weekends driving and running as close to the 'range' as possible.

Melody:  is that not an awesome feeling?!?  Love those days when my body is in tune with my mental state! 

NHLA: your 'plan' is kinda what I do, just keep up with my running while I search for a race .......... depending on where I may be.  Great time on your 7.2 miles!!

Trail runner

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,376. Nov 19, 2012 6:13 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Did one set of strength/core exercises and then 4 miles, 29:20 on TM tonight. Felt really good and could have done more (maybe a lot more), but had to eat dinner as wife got home and was waiting.

Good weather forecast for Thanksgiving. No races for me, but I might just sneak in a solo run while turkey is cooking.

Googled motivation running quotes last night and there are some great ones out there.

One for today: "I'm not telling you it's going to be easy. I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."

I don't know whose quote it is, but I love it.

NHLA.... Reloading bench isn't what I thought it might be.

Coyote..... We were amazed when we drove up Pike's Peak how far you could see. That road up and the entire area (Garden of the Gods, Manitou Springs, etc.) is just gorgeous.

Maryk.... I hope you did well and are planning on telling us about it.

JustrunDan.... Yup. That's a nice idea for a Thanksgiving Day race. Just enjoy it knowing your entry donation is going to help someone. Getting the kids in will be a nice bonus, too.

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,377. Nov 19, 2012 7:52 PM (in response to NHLA)

Meteor shower..oh, sigh..the disadvantages of living in the big city.  I've seen one streaking Westward across the early morning sky.  But a shower?

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,378. Nov 20, 2012 5:59 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA - I used to be able to see meteor showers from west of Denver, but the light pollution has gotten too bad. I blame Chuck and Kent Stevenson personally and corporately.

MelodyLea - yay for "strong"!

az1414 - I make a PBJ on whole wheat tortilla, roll it up and refrigerate (or freeze) it to carry on the trail. Or PB and Nutella!

4.6 miles this morning, 45 minutes. Cold and crisp! No breeze, no moon, no other runners, either. A very quiet morning running around Crown Hill Lake.

I dropped by Runner's Roost Lakewood on Sunday after church to see if there was anything I couldn't live without. I needed a new pair of socks anyway, so I found a pair of Balega ultralights and then searched the clearance section. Nothing in my size at first, but what's this? Track and XC spikes for $15.00? So I'm now the proud owner of a pair of silver and lime green Brooks track shoes. I haven't been in spikes for...I'm not even going to say. I may do some 1200 repeats tomorrow .

Run free!

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,379. Nov 20, 2012 6:38 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hi all,

The cold got me, yes I'm sick.  Coughing so no running   plus I just feel so run down

I did not run Sunday, have no plans to work out all this week, and will not be doing my Thanksgiving Dedication run for all of my Jingle Bell run teammates .  Extra sad because the weather is forecasted to be ideal for a nice morning run on Thurs.  Hoping that my general good health helps these bugs find their way out of my system quickly.

On the bright side, the Jingle Bell team is now up to 12 runners plus myself, yay!

Degregorius - love LSD, my fav run of the week by far.

AZ1414 - I run zigzags in my neighborhood, passing a block or two from my house every so often.  That way if I need to cut my run short I'm never too far away but I'm not running right past the front door, that'd be too tempting.  I carry my water/fuel with me on longer runs.

OC - your views sound so amazing especially for someone living in the flat land like me.  Nice that your climate warms up enough just from the presence of sun for you to wear shorts.  Around here it makes a little difference but not that much.  Grats on the great clearance find!  I've never run in spikes, sounds interesting.

JustRunDan - I have a couple of orange shirts and a couple of neon yellow shirts I grab if I plan on running while visiting my parents' home in the U.P.  They live out of town so "safety first", even if the shirts are cotton.  No one is going to mistake me for dinner.  Your t-giving run sounds great. 

MaryKay - thinking of you and hoping your run went well!  I hope you're away because your busy prepping for the holiday and not because something unfortunate happened.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...