Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1128 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2012 9:06 AM by Dark-Horse RSS
Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
Dec 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 21, 2012 2:11 PM

Runs & workouts, Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Hi, guys. Thanks for keeping it going.

Ray, I hope your injury heals up quick. Maybe you should follow Rich's example and stay off the injury and rest it. Oh wait, Rich isn't doing that. Never mind.

I see Mike is still standing in line to vote. If he stands there long enough, he won't be late for 2012, he'll be early for 2016.

5 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, in 45:06 (9:01 mile pace).

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    1. Nov 21, 2012 2:34 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Runs & workouts, Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Cool.  Rich just posted and while I was reading your message DH it disappeared!  Gotta luv it.

I'm assuming he's replying right now.

DH, good run. Active recovery is usually quicker, so I'm not sure I disagree with Rich.  Knowing when you're helping or hurting is a fine line, can't know until you try.  And, from what you've told us not sure you're any better then the rest of us   I think we're all better at giving advice then following it...

Hi Rich - good job on the norditrack.  Never really got the hang of ours and it sits unused our converted garage.

I'll be walking a bit later, not sure how far, but need to get in my 10K steps.  Should hit 4 million steps tomorrow or Friday.  Fitbit has me at 2000+ miles since Dec 26th and when I'm running only get 3/4ths of the miles.  Gotta get some floors in today too...

Ray

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    2. Nov 21, 2012 6:04 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Look who's back, the guy who keeps reminding me how dumb I am...lol  Hi Dark Horse! lol

It's not all bad D.H., I've decided against running the turkey trot tomorrow.  My foot's actually holding up pretty well under the circumstances, but it's not race ready so I won't be racing.

The incentive for running the turkey trot was to maintain my status as 1 of only 15 people who have run every race since it's inception, but common sense kicked in and shut me down.  I know running that race would set me back and it just isn't worth it. 

On the brighter side, I love to cook and made 3 pies today to take to my daughter's place for Thanksgiving.  I'll watch the Patriots kick butt and eat more food than 3 people ought to, to take my mind off the fact that every runner in the state but me will be out running tomorrow... lol

Happy Thanksgiving!

25 minutes on the Nordic Track machine today.  To say I kicked butt is an understatement!

Thanks Ray...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    4. Nov 21, 2012 6:39 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Wednesday, November 21, 2012

D. H., now you've got me wishing I had a doctor for a sister so I'd know everything too...lol

And while we're on the subject of giving advice, you've got to try this... http://rpm-therapy.com/2011/contrast-bath-for-pain-relief-inflammation/  I just tried it today and it does help, let me know what you think.

And I agree, Plantar Faciitis isn't something you can run through.  But... if you can find an activity that increases blood flow to an injury WITHOUT aggravating that injury, it does speed up the healing process.  You've got a sister who's a doctor, so you should know this...lol

With Plantar Faciitis, as long as I strap my feet into XC ski boots, I can use the Nordic Track machine without doing harm to my foot.  I probably could do the same thing with a tight fitting pair of boots and go for a run, but haven't tried that yet...lol

And finally, I grabbed my wife's sewing machine and made a better version of the Strassburg Sock.  This one's got adjustable straps for the strap that goes around the leg as well as the one attached to the sock.

Here's another one of my creations, a 2 wheeled wheelbarrel with a 49 gallon tote.  Created out of necessity, it works great for doing yardwork and far better than any commercial version I've seen to date.  The tires and wheels are off a mtn bike I bought at a yard sale for 10 bucks.  The tote was 20 and the frame is mostly left over copper tubing I had from a remodeling project.

49 Gallon Tote Utility Cart 001.jpg

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...