Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

645242 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 291 292 293 294 295 ... 327 Previous Next
  • NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,380. Nov 20, 2012 7:24 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

4 miles 34 min. Just could not get going.

OshCat get well soon

Not a lot of light polution here. After the leaves fall the sky gets very clear at night. I miss the skys in the TX hill country.

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,381. Nov 20, 2012 7:54 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Lunch time HIIT run of 3 miles.  High Intensity Interval Training, that is.  Today at lunch I'm running to the grocery store and back.  Not Mariano's.

I take "running erands" literally now. :-)

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,382. Nov 20, 2012 9:55 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hey, all! I"ve been crazy busy and tired. So sorry I haven't caught up on your fabulous accomplishments yet but hope to get some time this evening to do it. Hope you are all doing well or getting there!!

Philadelphia was wonderful and I will definitely do it again! Probably the best organized of all but also has the most difficult prerace to navigate if you're not familiar. The Start is at Eakins Oval in front of the Art Museum and parking does not exist. Roads were closed, including the freeway exists more than an hour before race time. Cabs were warned and NONE showed up at the hotels. NONE. Most folks had to walk at least a mile to the Start. I led a group from the Omni to the subway. We were told it would be free with a bib but they were charging and only took cash. Cashier ran out of change for $20 after three runners so she let a bunch of us on for free. They had over 60 big UPS trucks for stowing bags with drivers actually handling them but the police had the course completely gated so that if you entered the course from the right, there was no way to get to the bag-check on the left. Well, I jumped five metal gates; the crowd pulled the gates apart at the last juncture. Everyone was pleasant, though. Things that were different: No one was in costume. Maybe it's a Quaker influence? Police were everywhere, like two posts per block. Things that were nice but normal: Folks were friendly. Course was very scenic with rolling hills, none daunting. It had good cheer spots, music, and live high fives from Mayor Nutter who for some reason didn't recognize me. What?? Wore my AF marathon hat and as I crossed the Start, announcer gave a shout out to the AF marathoners. I ran 3:1 for two miles, 2:1 for next 3 mi. and switched to 1:1s with a few 2 min. breaks. My gadgets all said my splits were under 12 min. which was faster than any race before so I thought I was cruising. Somewhere between 7 and 10, the one that was giving me notices jumped a mile and ended up recording the course as 14 mi. So, I started taking pix. Probably burned 5-10 min. but thought I had the time. Official time ended up being 1 min. slower than Columbus. RATS! Live and learn. Still loved the race, though.

Of course I could be just a little biased. DD and I had a wonderful visit and ate/drank every good food neighborhood from Broad and Market Streets south. No sammys for us. *Kids* in their 30s have gentrified the area and the food scene is A-Mazing. If you go, be sure to see East Passyunk and Hawthorne and the Italian Market. DD was fantastically generous with time and pleasantries but she's clearly stressed beyond her personal limits. She promised to run me in AND actually showed up. That was a moment to remember and certainly made my last miles a lot easier. No cry face for me! but I did leave it all on the course. Whole left leg was threatening to give out, hip to ankle. If she hadn't been there, I definitely would have walked that last mile. Slowly. Mayor Nutter was still high fiving at the Finish. I always liked his civic pride.

Left leg pain disappeared the next day but right leg is now screaming. Strange. I am very very tired but still high on the trip/race. Got some decent pix. You're welcome to view on fb: Mary Kay Chuey. They are public so friend request is not required but totally welcome. Hope to catch up on your fantabulous progress tonight.

Run strong and fierce, my friends!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,383. Nov 20, 2012 11:23 AM (in response to mkayc)

Congratulations, Mary Kay!  It sounds like you had a wonderful time.  Your pic's are great, and the weather looked like it was lovely!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,384. Nov 20, 2012 12:37 PM (in response to OshCat)

Awesome Job, Mary Kay!  You owned that half!  Hope your soreness is very brief. I love Philly.  I got to high five Mayor Nutter when I did Broad St Run in May!

I am definitely considering this race for 2013.

Today ran 3.89 in 34 minutes which is under 9 minute/mile! Weather was sunny and 45.  I didn't even need gloves.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,385. Nov 20, 2012 4:37 PM (in response to Francessmom)

I ran a strong 4.5 mile run today. The cold (35-ish) did bother my lungs a bit. It was just warm enough to remove my balaclava but cold enough to aggravate my chest. Still, quite happy with the run. My favorite running buddy/best pal/dog finally got to go running with me after two weeks of post surgery recovery. She was one happy pooch!

az1414 Lose dogs are scary. I carry peeper spray with me just in case. Hoping it would help with bear also!! Glad you get to keep your running schedule.

jmsab23 Nice quote!

Old Coyote Nice score on the shoes!! Yay.

OshCat I am SO sorry about the cold!! Bummer. Just ride it out I guess. ((Hugs))

NHLA "Just could not get going." <~ A rest maybe?

degregorius Nice multi-tasking with your "running errands"!!

Francessmom Awesome strong and fast run!!

mkayc GREAT race report and awesome pics!! SO so proud of you.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,386. Nov 20, 2012 6:47 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ive been running about 3x a week. Part of the reason Im at about 80mp month, not 80mpw like nhla. That being said, I normally get 2 days off once a week, but with the tendon tender, I gave it another day or two. Thanks nhla on the "knot" advice. I'll still have to look up what a friction-release is, probably not what I was doing when I was 18 and single. After my long break, I had to get a quick run in, so I dropped down from my expanding distances of 8+ miles to 6.25. But I was able to do it faster than ever, in 1:02. Today I pushed a little harder and got 7.3 done with 9:42min/mi. I've already planned to do a run out at sister-in-laws on Turkey day. Not sure if I'll go for 7 miles low intensity or push it. See how it goes, I'll try to map out a route with Nike+ tonight. degregorius I am glad Map My Run is working for you. With the upgrade, you can take photos and stuff, but I am too busy running to snap photography or take videos. Maybe someday I'll figure out how to do that.

DebM, congrats on keeping your Friday run.

NHLA so you run at night too? Looking for meteor showers? I am afraid to trip over a bump in the road still!

jmsab23 yeah, I am west of West Hartford. Sounds like the wife left you to fend for yourself on bird-day.

old coyote you are right - if you dont run faster, you'll never get faster. I had a good run today - Ran fast out of the gate, and that seems to encourage me to keep up the pace and see if I can stay under 10min/mi the entire run. But then around mile 5, I noticed I had some fatigue. Not exactly my muscles, not my chest or heart - I just felt it was hard to go fast. Congrats on your 8:47/mi

I tightened up my laces a little better today, I think that helped my tendon. Need to watch what I eat, keeping weight off my joints will be good for keeping my injuries low. Had some chocolate milk after running today. Need to figure out a post-run routine. I get really bad indigetstion / reflux. Could be worse, but milk helps. Also NHLA, I was running with a 8oz bottle for a 3 mile run and since the cold weather, I have been doing 6, 7 & 8 miles without any fluids. I drink about 15 minutes before the run, and immediately after. I probably should do something different, but I dont really want to start carrying a drink again.

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,387. Nov 20, 2012 7:31 PM (in response to JEFF CT)

justrundan - sounds like a fun Thanksgiving race - good times, good cause

NHLA - it is an odd distance - it's just the distance from the Y, past the pond, up the hill, and back. 

Francesmom - RIP fav running shoes.  Last weekend was raking the grounds of the sponsor church for my son's scout troop.  I'm looking forward to raking my own leaves this weekend for a repeat core workout. 

az1414 - no snow and temps in the 40s sounds like great Thanksgiving (and running) weather

jmsab23 - "I'm not telling you it's going to be easy. I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." <== Love that!

degregorius - too mugh light pollution here to - but I love heading up to the White Mountains and just staring at all the stars in the sky!  Why am I stuck on italics!

Old Coyote - score!  enjoy the new gear. 

OshCat - feel better!

MaryKay - YAY!  Loved the pics.  Now take it easy for a few days and bask in your glory.   I might even consider the Philly Half for next year - a trip home to my old stomping grounds and a race sounds like fun. 

MelodyLea - congrats on the strong run with your running partner.  give her a pat from me. 

dilljeffrey - thanks; and take care of that tendon - there's nothing more aggravting than being sidelined by injury.

3.2 miles this morning.  30 degrees but somehow it felt colder - frost glistened on everything from lawns to lamp posts.  I wish I could wear a balaclava, but my glasses just fog up and I can't see where I'm going.  Thanks goodness for my smartwool ski socks - feet and calves were quite happy.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,388. Nov 20, 2012 7:43 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Had another great run tonight on the TM. Was going to be 5 miles, maybe 6, but when I got closer and was figuring the finish time, I thought about a full 10K and a possible best time, even though I was inside and on the TM. The incline was, after all, set on 1% the whole time. So, as I got past 5 miles, and still felt great and running faster, I turned it up some more in hopes of breaking 44 minutes. Started the full speed finish too late, though, and ended with a 44:08 time. I'm still pumped. I've been doing more and still feeling strong on my last week or so.

Dilljeffrey.... No, the wife came home Sunday. She'll be here for Turkeyday.   I don't usually run with water any more, unless I'm going to be pushing myself and for an hour or so or more. I also hydrate about 15-30 minutes before I go out, and a few sips just before starting. Then, as soon as I'm done.

Melody.... How did the running partner feel Or look?

Francessmom..... Great job on the sub-9 run!!!

Maryk.... You are getting to be one race-savvy, challenge-searching, goal-chasing young woman!!!!!!!  Hip, hip, hooray for you!! And a good finish with your daughter, too. Be happy!!

Coyote... It doesn't get any darker than 5:10 a.m. around my house in the woods. The sky was clear, too, but I didn't see any meteors in the 2 minutes I was out getting my newspaper and searching the sky. I wasn't about to give it much more of a chance than that when it was all of 24 degrees out.

Oshcat... I was bummed just reading about your cold and your not being able to run the Jingle Bell run. You put a lot into your preparation for it.

NHLA..... Still a pretty good run. Was it too cold? Or maybe tired from last week?

Run safely, people, and have nice days.

• 85oneone Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 29, 2011
    4,389. Nov 21, 2012 2:21 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

booked 7 miles here in Kuwait. Went out thinking, "it's windy so i'll keep it around 9-10 min/mile"...actually went out and kept a 8:19 min/mile pace for 7 miles straight. I was actually surprised at how good i felt, especially with lack of food. I'm excited to see what i can do if i actually eat some carbs and get out there before the wind kicks in... *looking for friends*

nobody's ever drowned in sweat!!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,390. Nov 21, 2012 12:36 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 31 min 17 out & 14 back. 6 hours yard work.

MK great race. I don't see link to pics.

85 welcome leave with the wind in your face and come home with the wind at your back.

jimsab you are improving and that's exciting.

dill friction release is sort of like rubbing one out. You grab the knot and rub it out. Gets the scare tissue out. There is little blood flow in tendon so it needs help

Deb try a silk scarf like the cowboys wear. It will trap heat and will not fog glasses.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,391. Nov 21, 2012 3:05 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Almost died on the big hill route this morning with my son's buddy. Slight wind in our face when we turned onto the incline stretch (3/4 mile), and a bit chilly - about 35 degrees. But we made it. Actually finished in 34:08, a little faster than last week.

Today's quote:

“I never hear someone say I’m not a real runner. We are all runners, some just run faster than others. I never met a fake runner.”   (I like this last line.)

- Bart Yasso

85oneone..... Are you in the military?

NHLA.....   Yes, I've been on a nice string of workouts lately.

Enjoy turkey and naps, runners.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,392. Nov 21, 2012 4:30 PM (in response to jmsab23)

I ran a nice 4 miles this afternoon. I rarely run in the afternoon, and I didn't gage the amount of fuel needed. I was trying to balance that fine line between eating so you don't have stomach upset later on during your run, or not eating enough! Luckily I always carry a Hammer Gel with me, so I was all set. Gorgeous Nov. afternoon! My running buddy/dog/best friend is doing well and feeling strong after her surgery. Its so good to have her back running with me!

dilljeffrey I hope the tendon issue clears up...remember, easy does it. You certainly don't want to get sidelined with an injury!! Regarding post run choices, I personally have 1/2 cup Choco Soy milk (I'm  actose intolerant) and a splash of pasteurized egg whites. That gives me the protein and the carbs needed to repair muscles.

Debm2011 Meant to tell you! If you wear your glasses OVER the balaclava you'll have no fogging up. You'll look like a scary Ninja, but your lungs will appreciate it!

jmsab23 Super nice treadmill run AND uphill into the headwind!

85oneone Nice 7 mile run!

NHLA 6 hours of yard work!?!?! Woah.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    4,393. Nov 21, 2012 6:50 PM (in response to mkayc)

Sounds like you had a great race!

I was out traveling last week - I rarely check e-mail etc these days when traveling - very liberating - I did not even fire up PC when at hotel.  IPhone was all I needed to keep in touch with Wife back home.  I did get one 5+ mile walk in  --  hotel to Main river, upriver for a bit, crossed river, back down, back to hotel  This was in Frankfurt, Germany. 

On this past Sunday managed 6.22 Km in 44 min - tried a new route around the neighborhood that actually included a class 5 rated climb  --  lowest of the ratings but still long enough to qualify.  getting prepped to do local 5K tomorrow with my wife - she is shooting for post Chemo PR for 5K.  This will be her second timed event since treatment - She will be 3 yrs post chemo for Stage 3 Ovarian this jan.  Makes for easy day for me however I find it tough to stay slowed down to her pace - I will be carrying cup of coffee to help me slow down  -- not that I am fast normally --  in any case we are looking forward to a nice walk in the morning,

Hope everyone has wonderful thanksgiving.

Skoal/OGR44

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• 85oneone Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 29, 2011
    4,394. Nov 22, 2012 12:08 AM (in response to jmsab23)

Got my toe socks and Accel Gel in the mail today...i'm even more excited to run now!! **Happy Thanksgiving all**

NHLA: thank you! 4 miles in 31 mins was your warm-up for the 6 hours of yardwork.... Nice!!

jmsab23: yes sir, forward deployed right now. Gotta get my runs in no matter where i go... Great Quote of the Day btw

MelodyLea: what kind of dog do you have? I have a French Mastiff and he can't go much further than a mile. Sometimes he's so tired i have to lift him into the truck (not easy with a dog that weighs 130lbs).

nobody's ever drowned in sweat!!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...