Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3411 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2012 5:56 AM by James Avis Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • RaynaC Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 21, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Nov 27, 2010 8:59 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Event Reviews

first 5K with my 18 year old daughter running with me - we had a great time and will probably make it a tradition.   It was nice to have a Thanksgiving day run so close to home.  Agree with other reviewers that next year should have 2 lanes for runners.  Last road was a little confusing b/c the cones were on the left but most runners went to the right hand side.  Overall pretty organized, started on time which was great!  Will definately run next year.

• Row4Peas Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 12, 2007
    16. Nov 27, 2010 12:07 PM (in response to Guest )

I really enjoyed the 10K run Thanksgiving morning.  It was organized very well with plenty of port-o-lets at the start, water stations, people cheering, snacks at the end.  Great way to start the holiday!!!

• Orangenut Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010
    17. Nov 28, 2010 12:08 PM (in response to Guest )

Event well organized.  Would have liked a more scenic route instead of down the street and back.  Had a good time with two daughters and their husbands also participating.  Might even come back next year!!!

• Edchuck Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010
    18. Nov 29, 2010 8:04 AM (in response to Guest )

Very well organized; I had a great time and hope to do it again next year.  My only complaint is with the course--it would have been nice to run some of the race on the college campus or follow a more picturesque route.

• keith304 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 7, 2010
    19. Nov 29, 2010 8:58 AM (in response to Guest )

Great race on Thanksgiving!

The positive stuff:

Great packet and chip pickup

Starting time was perfect (early and not to hot)

Helpful volunteers

Beautiful route (for the 10K, done the 5k before and very boring)

Could use improvement:

Need to start the 10K earlier and a different start line like other races (ex. Monster Dash in Pearland).  This would take care of the traffic situation we had in the first mile.  People could not pass safely.  Another option is to instruct everyone to line up in order of time.  They tried but they had limited audio resources.

I've done the 5K route before and decided to switch to the 10K, since the 5K route is very simple (just a turnaround). Some people did get confused on the turnaround and they could add the instructions on the map they gave us at packet pickup.

Since the run starts at the On The Run store (and they are a major sponsor) there is limited safe routes to take.  Would rather start at UHCL or anywhere else to have a better route for the 5K.

• BT93mpkins Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 30, 2010
    20. Nov 30, 2010 11:05 AM (in response to Guest )

Overall the race was a smashing success.  Luckily only a few people in turkey feathers.  For some reason they got the teacher from Peanuts to give the announcements.  I couldn't understand a word they were saying.  If the sound system worked, the confusion of the turnaround may have been resolved. 

Not great weather, track wasn't great, but overall a pleasant experience. 

• RunAroundSusi Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 1, 2010
    21. Nov 30, 2010 1:37 PM (in response to Guest )

It was a great way to start off Thanksgiving!  I enjoyed the run through the neighborhood area, but seemed to trip over several sticks along Space Center on the way back.  Overall it was a fun morning!

• rlatimore Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 17, 2009
    22. Dec 2, 2010 6:11 AM (in response to Guest )

My family of 5 participated along with my mother and my sister (and her family of 5).  We had a great time!  It was a great way to start Thanksgiving!  Everything was well organized!  One issue was the traffic along Space Center for the people who had turned around and were heading to the finish line.  they had to weave in and out of cones (next to cars) to avoid the people coming the opposite direction.  Maybe have "lanes of cones" next time.   overall a great experience!!

• James Avis Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 7, 2009
    23. Nov 22, 2012 5:56 AM (in response to Guest )

Poorly organized.  My 4 and 5 year olds were going to run in the kids k, which I was told by the organizers at packet pickup would do a fun warmup at 7AM (should start a kids race later, in my opinion) then race, but they started the race as we were arriving around 6:50!  Imagine their disappointment at hearing the starting horn from across the street!  They had to run a second kids k for everyone who didn't get there early, which I appreciated, but it wasn't the same.  I don't think we'll be back.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...