Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

55134 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 Previous Next
  • almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    315. Nov 25, 2012 7:26 AM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

I wish I had some great running story to post today, but the truth is I have been at the hospital with my Mom every spare second and they kind of frown on running around the halls. Plan to join the running group on monday though no matter what.  Hope everyone else is able to get there.

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    316. Nov 25, 2012 8:04 AM (in response to almightyD)

I hope your mom is doing okay. Maybe you can hit the stairs a few times to get your blood pumping. I know when I sit at the hospital my legs get numb.

• maureen0131 Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 9, 2012
    317. Nov 26, 2012 6:33 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I did my second 5K on Thursday with the Detroit 5K. It was a BLAST! It went so fast. I was so engrossed with watching everyone that I didn't realize I was running faster than I ever have. Had my best time according to my Nike + app. My pace was 12:07.  There was a major backup at the finish line so the posted times online are way off. It was like a herd of cattle. We spent 10 minutes walking about the last 100 feet. There were 22,000 runners. The city was alive and everyone was cheering. I took my dog with me and she loved it! She's a little 12 lb Maltese so she kinda pooped out towards the end.

What's next for me? Improving my 5k time over the next few weeks and doing at least one 5K in December and January. I'm going to start doing the 5K to 10K training app eventually.  Right now I want to gain more strength and speed so I will run a minimum of 3 miles every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday with cycling or elliptical workouts on the other days.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I sure did!

Dec 14, 2007
    318. Nov 26, 2012 9:58 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I actually got to make it to my running group class this tonight.  It was very painful and I can definitely tell I have been doing less running than normal, but it was good to get out. I love running in the cold!  Hoping I can get out there a couple more times this week but we have a Christmas weekend trip this weekend Christmas tree lighting in a little town called Levenworth washington) so we'll see.

Keep moving everyone!

Oct 4, 2012
    319. Nov 28, 2012 6:45 AM (in response to maureen0131)

Congratulations Maureen!

Dec 14, 2007
    320. Dec 1, 2012 9:00 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

uuuhhhhggggg!    other than my running group on tues I have not been able to get out and run.  Between running back and forth to my Mom and home and making my 4 yr feel like she hasn't lost her Mom I have not had the time or energy.  Today we off for our Christmas weekend in the mt's for the tree lighting in Leavenworth. If the trails are not to slippery  I may try to get out at least once.  anyone else having a hard time just getting out there?  

I did sign up for a run on Jan 1st, the resolution run and polar bear plunge. Yep the finish line  is in a very cold Lake washington. 

Oct 4, 2012
    321. Dec 2, 2012 4:59 AM (in response to almightyD)

I am having an awful problem with motivation! I have none!

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    322. Dec 2, 2012 11:39 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hi everyone! Congrats Maureen on your second 5k! That sounds like it was wonderful!

Tomorrow is my appointment with the Orthopaedic foot and ankle guy. I am so excited to start getting this foot problem taken care of, especially since it seems to be getting worse and worse even though I haven't run in almost 3 weeks. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Oct 9, 2012
    323. Dec 2, 2012 4:03 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I did my third 5K on Saturday and got my best time so far.  38:25.  I know that's not that great but for pokey me it was!!  I'm noticing that now that the C25K app is done, a lot of people are having trouble staying motivated.  I refuse to waste all the $$ I spent on shoes, inserts, socks and clothes so I won't stop.  There aren't too many 5K's going on anymore so I might start the 5K to 10K app over the winter months. 

Nicolette, I am in a great running group through meetup.com and I highly suggest looking to see if there is a running group in your area you could join.  If not, you can start one.  It doesn't require any prior experience or know how to start a group.  You just come up with a name and location to do your runs and people will join.   This group keeps me accountable.  I have been blessed to be with someone who is accommodating to my slowness and very encouraging. 

Oct 4, 2012
    324. Dec 2, 2012 8:38 PM (in response to maureen0131)

Congrats on improving your time! That's awesome. I will check out that website...

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    325. Dec 4, 2012 1:11 PM (in response to maureen0131)
    Re: Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Maureen!! I totally agree with you. I have spent way too much money on this to give up now (and am continuing to spend money with this injury).

I went to the Orthopedic Dr. yesterday! He says I have Plantar Fasciitis! I figured as much. I guess I was pre-disposed to it after that injury I had 5 years ago (which likely affected my Plantar Fascia, leaving it prone to re-injury).

I was expecting to be given arch supports since it is my arch that is hurting so bad, but they gave me Spanco inserts (which, granted, do have some arch support in them), and added a slab of outer foot support all along the outer edge! I was very confused by that... But, I am going to wear them religously for the next three weeks and see how it goes. If they don't help I will go back.

The thing is, I am really not sure when I should start easing back into running again. The doctor just said to "take it slow"... well what the heck does that mean?! That isn't very specific! But, I think I will start going for 30 min walks 4 times a week or so... and when my feet stop hurting while I walk, maybe I will ease into running from there? Idk.

And for the record, I still haven't finished the C25k!!! I finished week 8 and that is when my foot started really going crazy.

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    326. Dec 4, 2012 1:57 PM (in response to maureen0131)
    Re: Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

I finally made it home for R&R after three days of travelling, but I've already increased my running time while on R&R by 300%.  Every other time I've come home I've been somewhere in the middle of c25k but just never managed to keep it up.  I can also add Kuwait to the list of places where I've run now.  I was stuck overnight but I wanted to try and make the best of it so I went up to the gym tents and did my 2 miles on the treadmill and then headed to the weight tent.  So far since I've gotten home my wife and I went up to the gym one day and I did 2 miles on the treadmill again.  Today was kind of crappy out but I managed to get out and run a couple, although I somehow managed to lay out a route that had a huge hill in it.

I was on meetup once upon a time when I was living in Louisville and was able to find a softball team to pick up some playing time so it defnitely works.  I just jumped on there a few minutes ago to see if that was the same website I thought it was and there were a ton of things on there for Cincinnati so I may have to check out some of the stuff around here.

Dec 14, 2007
    327. Dec 4, 2012 4:44 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Glad there are some people who are able to get out there and run.  My Mom had just gotten home an gotten comfortable, and then ended up  going back to the ER last night with an infection under the insision of her spinal fusion and a fracture under one screw so it is back to the operating table for her and we start all over again.    Someday I will get back out there again. Totally agree I spent too much to let it go.  Tonight was supose to be our last C25K class and I was really looking forward to it, sad i will miss it.

Keep moving everyone!

Oct 9, 2012
    328. Dec 19, 2012 1:42 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Where did everybody go?  I hope everyone is still running.  The holidays and the earlier sunsets make it difficult to run. Not to mention the mucky wet weather.  I've been running but not as diligently as I was before.  I ran last sunday (12/9) and then didn't run again until Monday night (12/17).  It was an ok run.  My pace was awful - 13.45 or something but I was indoors.  I don't care for indoor running.  I have yet to run on a treadmill as there is a track inside the gym I use. 

Well, I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays and I hope Santa brings everyone something fun to use for running!  I plan to register for 5K's as they come available throughout the year.  Maybe even a 10K or half marathon by years end!  woo hoo! that would be something! 

Keep on running!

Maureen

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    329. Dec 23, 2012 1:28 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Wow, that was awful.  I'm back in the 'Stan after my R&R and went for my first run this morning.  The first 50-100 yards were great and then it all went downhill.  I made it about 1.25 miles in and finally had to walk for a little bit before I could finish it out, although, it was only about 50 yards or so until I could catch my breath.  The last time I really ran was over a week ago while I was still home, but I think the biggest issue was just being back at high altitude.  I had a serious side cramp going and felt really out of breath, but I've only been back in country since Thursday so it will take a little while to get acclimated to being back at 5,000 ft.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...