Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

952176 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 303 304 305 306 307 ... 315 Previous Next
  • az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Hi everyone!

Changed my name on my profile.

Last minute travel plans for Thanksgiving:  ended up driving 5 hrs to ND to spend the holiday at the in-laws instead.

I was visiting an elder couple when the elder wife had a mild seizure.

Daughter and elder husband thankful that I was there and knowing what to do.

I have had similar experiences over the years so just kept her calm (including the daugher/sons/husband) while waiting for the ambulance.

Apparently, she has had other incidents.  Good news:  she was okay and being monitored when we left for home.

It has been snowing since Thursday in ND and MN but not much wind which is great!

I have not run since last Monday but planning on running tomorrow ............ hoping it is not windy.

Will be back in AZ this coming Saturday so I hope to pick up my training for my 10 miler race on Dec. 16th!!

Hope each of you had a wonderful holiday.

Stay warm and safe running!!

Trail runner

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

MaryKay~Congratulations on your AWESOME HM in Philly!  Twenty-eight minutes faster than in Colombus, and a quantum leap from Flying Pig!  So happy you enjoyed celebrating with DD.  After all of the blood, sweat & tears  you shed this summer, you kept moving forward.  So proud of you!  Bravo on shaving 2 minutes off your best 10k time, also.  Don't you love when that happens!  All the best to you as you continue to strive toward next year's goals --  You can do it!

az2mn~Thanksgiving took on new meaning for the elder lady!  Glad you were there.  Sorry about the snow, get ready for your first winter in MN.  I've dusted off the x-country skis & snowshoes -- ready for it!

Nan~Happy to read the PT is helping.  Mud Run looks, eh....fun?  Congrats on the 5k PR, too!

Bill~Welcome back, and good news about your foot.  Hope your family Thanksgiving run was great!

WDWRich~Bet the 10k in San Diego was great.  Love that town!

kathruns~ Welcome back, WooHoo on your speedy 5k!  WTG!

Steve~Did the Galloway "motivation" work for you?  Hope you were able to get in some miles before the thermometer dipped.

Webpro~Hang in there, buddy!  Hope the toe is feeling better.

I hope everyone enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday with family & friends!

• WDWRich Amateur 17 posts since
    Feb 1, 2012

The Thank You 10k here in San Diego was fun.  "Challenge Hill" between miles 5 and 6 kicked my butt a bit, so my time was two minutes slower than my training runs (58 mins as opposed to the 56 mins I have been running in training.)  My wife did the 5k and enjoyed the free Karl Strauss beer at the end of the race. 

Next race will be the Resolution 15k in January.

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving weekend!

08/19/2012 AFC 5K 28:29

09/01/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08

11/22/2012 Thank you 10K 58:17

01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17

03/10/2013 San Diego HM (registered)

09/01/2013 Disneyland HM (registered)

Aug 2, 2010

Ogre44~Sory, missed your post!  Welcome, and although you are just a "youngster", we're happy to have you join our group.  Morton Arboretum - one of my favorite places to visit.  I didn't realize they had arun there.  Might have to check it out.

Participated in 2 5k's over the holiday weekend.  Thanksgiving Day was spent w/ family and friends running the inaugural Drumstick Dash  5k run/walk.  Over 2600 participated, amazing for a first time event and on a holiday.  Lots of $$$ and provisions brought to fill a local food bank.  It was held at the State Fair grounds and part of the course was run on the historic Milwaukee Mile race track.  Lots of folks in the spirit of the holiday were dressed as turkeys, Pilgirms and many wearing theme headgear - hilarious!  My goal for the race was to enjoy running with fam and friends and to test pacing for another race on the weekend.  The weather was lovely for November in the upper midwest;  sunny, 58-degrees, with some wind only noticible on the open race track.  Finished in 31:45 with negative splits which told me my pacing plan for Sunday looked promising.  Festive, fun event and plan to make it a holiday tradition!

Ran the second of six winter races yesterday.  Sunny, but with temps at 23-degrees and a NW wind!  The goal was to come in under 30 minutes, and with a flat course I was hopeful I could get 'r done!  I decided to move up to the mid-pack area of the start line area.  I usually stand back at the rear because I am not fond of the "crunch' of people when the start gun goes off.  I recognized a woman in my AG who runs at the pace I needed to run to come in under 30.  I asked if she minded me pacing with her and she welcomed me.  The first mile was run much faster than I normally go out, but I was determined to keep up, although my lungs were screaming to stop!  I had been doing tempo runs and some speedwork the past few weeks, and I told myself, "You are not going to die, just keep going!"  At the 2 mile flag I was still holding pace, but my right shoelace(which never became untied before!) was slapping against my ankle.  I pulled over to the side, retied it which isn't easy with gloved fingers!  I kept the gal I was running w/ in sight and tried to keep calm and move up.  As I approached the 3 mile flag on a small hill....WHAT?!?!  The other shoelace became untied!  Pulled to the side again, retied it and thought there is no way I'm doing this today.  Turned the corner for the final .1 mile and my eyes located the clock reading 29:"something".  I didn't think - just ran - whoo, made it! Guntime 29:53, chip time 29:25.  So happy to have accomplished this goal, but lesson learned about checking those pesky shoelaces at the start line.  Found and thanked my pacer friend, enjoyed some post-race goodies and celebrated with a delicious breakfast with DH and DSx2! 

Run strong this week, friends!

Jan 20, 2010

girlintheorchard:

WAY TO GO!!

So proud of your determination and back to back races: VERY IMPRESSIVE!!

If you had that pacer in your first 5K, I know you would have been WAAAY under the 30 minute chiptime. 

You muscles had enough rest I guess but those pesky laces ...........  your speedwork training paid off!!

I'm definitely not a 'sprinter' which is what the 5K and 10K are to me so I run them on very rare occasions.

Despite the rain and thunder, I had a trail race once and most of the runners were dealing with loose mud packed and soaking wet laces for most of the race in the rocky mt terrain.

Running with loose laces slapping against your calves, in the rain, HURTS!! and leaves marks too!!

But in the end, it was one of the best and enjoyable races I ran in, many of the runners had the same opinion, with big smiles and laughing crossing the finish line, covered in mud and soggy from head to toe: was awesome!!

Snow is everywhere here in northern MN; sunny today so it's such a beautiful winter wonderland!  Going for a short run!

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010

WDWRich:

How wonderful that you and your wife run!

Not too many couples will or can.

As my husband always says:  "not everyone should or can run"

He is my loyal spectator.  He is more of a swimmer, mt biker, walker and hiker.

My intensity demands more intense activity so I enjoy my trail running and races.

Is your wife running the Women's Half Marathon/5K event in San Diego in Feb.?

It's part of a series and San Diego was added to the series for Feb. 2013. 

It's not the Rock and Roll event, that is usually held in June.

I am hoping to run a trail marathon in San Francisco in Feb. but if it falls through I may join my 15 yr old niece in San Diego for the Women's race event.

I'll run the HM but she will be running her first race, the 5K, and she asked me for pointers.

I paid for her entry fee as a gift.  Maybe she'll get the running bug, haha!

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010

HI NAN!!

That looks like so much fun ........... your smile gives it away

Congrats!!

I was hoping to run the HM in Tempe on Dec. 2nd but my schedule doesn't allow me the time and I don't feel ready anyway.

But I am hoping to run the women's 10 miler event in Fountain Hills on Dec. 16th.

Where is the Bay of Fundy marathon?

Trail runner

• WDWRich Amateur 17 posts since
    Feb 1, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,567. Nov 26, 2012 11:14 AM (in response to az2mn)
    50 and over, 5k and beyond - what are your challenges?

Thanks az2mn.  Due to a foot issue, my wife power walks 5k races.  I'll be running the San Diego HM in March, and she'll do the 5k with one of her friends.  We're both 59, and really enjoy these events.

08/19/2012 AFC 5K 28:29

09/01/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08

11/22/2012 Thank you 10K 58:17

01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17

03/10/2013 San Diego HM (registered)

09/01/2013 Disneyland HM (registered)

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Wow, I've got some reading to catch up on! Lots of posts!  One quickie....Debra......way to go!! Awesome 5K!!

Quick report for me, still training for Goofy. Did 20 miles today w/ DD. She was not feeling well,otherwise we would have done 23, but figured 20 would suffice. I did 10 mile walk Saturday by self....that is long & boring, but learned I can do it too.  I do all my midweek runs by myself, but the long stuff I really prefer having a partner. The wak should have been done the day before the long run to prep for the Goofy, but since my family celebrated Thanksgiving on Sunday, the logistics just didn't work. Besides, I think preparing for 31 ppl for dinner was a marathon in itself!

Take care all of you mighty masters and happy running.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Debra-  I know you'd do it soon!  Way to go!!  Considering the darn shoe laces, you obliterated that 30 minute goal.  Enjoy that feeling!

Marie- I was wondering how the goofy training was going.  It looks like you are doing those long miles just fine; it can be tough to be out there that long; it really does develop the mental as well as physical stamina, I think.

Active had me blocked for most of the last week.  DS & I did the small local turkey trot, they netted food items for the local food pantry, and we enjoyed a near 5K run, most of it along the Baraboo river walk.  Nice and scenic.  You were right Debra, Thursday was an amazing late November day in Wisconsin, perfect for the run.  I've managed an easy 5 miles Saturday on my rural roads, and 2 mi on TM this morning. 

Run strong and safe this week friends.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

Aug 2, 2010

Thanks, Marie! Nice work on those training walks and runs.  Dan's right about building mental toughness on those long, solitary training days.  I know you're ready to take it on.  If you can plan, prepare and serve Thanksgiving dinner for 31 people between a 10 mile walk and a 20 mile run..... Goofy's Challenge will be a piece of cake! 

ax2mn~ Thanks so much!  I also prefer longer distances, but not many events here in SE Wisconsin until May.  I just read about a Trail HM/FM in Upper MIchigan(not sure where you are located in MN).  It is the Grand Island Trail located near Munising, MI on Lake Superior.  Sounded beautiful!  Check out www. greatlakesendurance.com

Dan~Thank you!  One more 5k for me this year, so hopefully I can repeat it to prove it wasn't a fluke!  Glad you enjoyed running the Turkey Trot with you DS.  Sounds like a beautiful route along the river.  I haven't signed up for the DCHM, yet.  That weekend is proving to be very busy for our family, and it still 6 months away!  If it falls through, some young women from church have asked me to be part of a relay team for the Fall 50 that runs from Gills Rock to Sturgeon Bay.  As you can imagine, much of the route is filled with hills.  Lovely women (who are all young enough to be my daughters), and I'm looking forward to training with them.

Heading out for an easy 4 miles today.  Bright and sunny, but 15 degrees!  Time to put on layers!  Run strong, friends!

Jan 20, 2010

girlintheorchard:  Thanks!  I will check that out, I should be around in May.  I live in Bemidji, MN but not a stranger to traveling for new races, especially trail events!!

I tried to run yesterday but the MN cold went through my bones even though I was covered head to toe, wearing a balaclava too, in winter gear!!  After a half mile, I had to go home!!  Such a wimp, haha!!  But I didn't want to get sick again and miss out on races I have paid for!!  I've lived in ND for ten years, and in CO as well so I am not new to winter conditions, and while living in northern AZ, I have run on mt trails in the snow, low temps and at a higher elevation, and I do fine.  So wierd!!  I'm sure I have to adapt to the MN winter and that means staying in one place for a longer amount of time which is not possible lately.  Anyway, my schedule should slow down in Feb, and will spend more time in MN, which will still be experiencing WINTER so I guess I need to invest in a TM:  I'm more depressed now, haha!!

I want to kick some butt in my next race, a 10 miler in the PHX area so I am anxious to train on my mt trails in northern AZ next week!! Got lots of mileage to make up for!!

Stay healthy, warm and safe everyone!

Trail runner

• Captjer Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 19, 2012

Please excuse the intrusion,but I'm new to the sight. I don't see a place where I can make a post other than replying to someone's post. Can you tell me where I can find the post button?

• Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009

Debra-I loved your race story. I had a shoe lace situation come up a Turkey Trot race  couple years ago. I was having a good run and there was a big downhill right before the finish (steep to). Half way down my shoe untied and I probably lost a minute trying to re-tie it in 15 degree weather. The important thing is that I still beat my brother . Sounds like you really challenged yourself in that race and it showed by your impressive results.

-Bill

Jan 20, 2010

Captjer:  Welcome!!  You are not intruding; this forum is open to anyone.  Most are at least 50 but we have some 40-something youngsters too, haha!! 

I just click on the "reply to original post" if your message is not to reply to anyone specific.  It's at the bottome of the page on your right. 

Again, feel free to share your running experiences or just life in general.  You'll find a very supportive group here.  

Trail runner

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...