Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

716934 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 294 295 296 297 298 ... 327 Previous Next
  • rinkreb Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 12, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,425. Nov 25, 2012 8:05 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Hello again! Ran my greatest distance ever today, 4.14 miles in 40 minutes in Week 3 Day 3 of my 5 to 10K training. Felt pretty good too!

Recent:

AJC Peachtree Road Race 10K, 7/4/13, 1:04:20

BTN Big 10K, 7/27/13, 59:19

Biggest Loser RunWalk Chicago 15K, 8/4/13 (first 15K), 1:34:25

Buffalo Grove Stampede 10K, 9/1/13, 1:01:04.9

Run For Your Lives 5K, 9/21/13, Untimed, finished Infected, 100% obstacles completed

Upcoming:

Itasca Oktoberfast 5K, 10/5/13

Des Moines Half Marathon, 10/20/13 (first half marathon)

F^3 Lake Half Marathon, 1/25/14

http://www.fatgirlrunn.com

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,426. Nov 25, 2012 8:22 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Last minute change of plans for Thanksgiving.

We ended up driving 5 hours to the in-laws after all.

It has been snowing since Thursday in ND and MN.

I have not run since last Monday!!

Hope to run tomorrow despite the snow packed road as long as it doesn't get windy or too cold.

Will be back in AZ in a week but it's cold in northern AZ too; at 7000 ft, the "cold" is similiar to MN "cold" .......... just hoping it is not windy.

Getting depressed from not running .

Hubby was with his family while I was visiting some elder friends of ours right before we left on Saturday when all of a sudden, the elder wife had a mild seizure.

Kept her calm while we waited for the ambulance.

The daughter and her elder father kept hugging me and thanking me for being there and knowing what to do.

I have had some numerous experiences with such incidents over the years and always thankful for the good outcome.

Such events makes one more thankful being in good health.

Wishing you all safe and warm days ahead.

Trail runner

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,427. Nov 25, 2012 8:52 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

BTW everyone, I changed my profile name ..........

Trail runner

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,428. Nov 26, 2012 7:50 AM (in response to Francessmom)

I haven't run with a back pack for a while.  Maybe next "errand run". Yes it was awkward, but not impossible, with grocery  bags.  Switched hands.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• c-catto Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 3, 2009
    4,429. Nov 26, 2012 11:53 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hello Everyone!

Whew, I'm happy to see the forum here is still going strong with so many familiar faces (and some new ones too?). One of the 'other' forums I visit seems to have imploded. I haven't posted here in a while but when I tried to sign in today, the system kept telling me my username/id was invalid, even after resetting my password several times. So, I'm using an old acct, and that works. Huh, strange. Anyways, I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. Lots of good running going on here!  I'm trying to motivate myself to stay active and not pack on the holiday pounds. My mileage has dropped quite a bit thru the summer, but I did win my first running award earlier this month--3rd place AG in a 5k! Woohoo, I won a free 1hr massage!   5 easy miles for me today.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,430. Nov 26, 2012 4:46 PM (in response to c-catto)

I ran a strong and easy 4 miles this afternoon. What a great early winter day here in New England! It snowed, then the sun burst out, then more snow all while clouds scuttled by on a blustery afternoon. I felt super strong even on the uphill. Happy to be alive today!! <~ Ah, the benefits of running

Debm2011 Nice job and ((hugs)) for getting back to the grind.

Ogr44 Sounds like a great 5k and a super hike as well.

rinkreb Really nice job on your longest distance yet!

az2mn Bummer about all the driving, but how great you are to help your elder friend!! Now, get out there in the snow and run. Who were you before the profile name change? So sorry that I don't recognize you.

degregorius We get used to running with our hands full, don't we? I run while holding my dogs leash and have done so for 8 years!. Its funny, when I do run without my dog, I find my right hand sorta stay in the same position as if the leash were there...lol

c-catto Welcome back and super nice job on the win and the 5 miles today!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,431. Nov 26, 2012 5:43 PM (in response to az2mn)

az- those times are amazing.  I'm 7 years older, but don't think I could match those if I'd started back then. Way to go.  And nice job helping with the woman with the seizure; those are usually frightening for family involved.  Re: races in WI, what part of MN are you in?  I'm more familiar with races in south central WI; I'm sure the LaCrosse area has a bunch though.  Let me know.  It is tough to run outside on some of these winter days-when the snow comes to stay the roads I'm near are too icy/snow packed for me to run safely; sometimes I have to go into town.

Melody- You are doing a bang up job running in the snow-are those roads without much traffic?  Sound beautiful where you run.

Active had me blocked for the last 5 days or so, could log in but not post a reply or report.  I did run the local 5K turkey trot Thanksgiving morning with my son. Good to run before the feast, and they got lots of food donations for the local food pantry.  Then did easy 5 miles Saturday, and 2 on TM today. 

Run strong and safe this week!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,432. Nov 26, 2012 6:34 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Didn't post last night, but did do a 5-mile progressive run on the TM -- 36:18. Felt really strong except for the first mile, which I stayed at a jog/run pace for most of. The I got my wind and was able to start pushing.

Cross trained tonight after five running days in a row -- weights and core/strength XRs.

Melody... Your dog pic looks like she was trying to warm up. In the sunlight, and apparently near the wood stove, as the firewood is behind her. Maybe just after a run in the "beautiful" winter weather of Western Mass.?

C-catto.... Welcome, and congrats on the 5k success!

JustrunDan..... Yeah, I've been having some issues logging onto Active for a while now, but it's been better the past four or five days or so.

NHLA..... Did you have any other runs this week that you were just "not feeling it?"

az2mn.... Nice outcome in your visit. Even with my emergency training, I often wonder if I'll do things right if ever called upon.    After that part of your post, though, I thought it was kind of funny -- post and then tell us who you are after.

rinkreb... seems like you're doing fine in your training. Nice 4+ miler.

Ogr44... Good father-son race.

Great work, runners. Keep the feet movin'!!!

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,433. Nov 26, 2012 6:42 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

az2mn f/k/a az1414 - Good to see you back in the groove, lady!

melodylea - Oh, now I'm jealous. It's been overcast for 3 days straight in Denver and calls to the suicide hotline have tripled

dan - Shame on you for posting...whatever it is that got you banninated.

c-catto - welcome! Nice on the AG award, too.

I decided to run at least a mile every day, Thanksgiving to New Year's Day. So I did. 1 mile, 5:30 this morning, 28 degrees and humid. It was cold, I tell you. Grumble.

Run free!

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,434. Nov 26, 2012 9:08 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hi All-

Thanksgiving I got out there and pulled off 8.2 miles in 10:20/mi. I got killed early with hill work. Very big hills followed by a loose dirt downhill horse-trail. Happens when you're at the in-laws trying to find your own route. Even tried going off the road where I found a 1mi State Park Loop, but after about 0.1mi, I lost the trail and stood around then turned back. Not knowing the route didnt help the time. But, it was a great run. Didnt expect to go so far.

Sunday I did a 7.8 mi run. I was dizzy on and off during the day, but finally sucked it up and ran. 36 degrees. 4pm start time was not great. By 5:30pm it was so damn dark. When the phone/music/GPS battery died, I stopped shortly after. Figured if Im gonna break my leg in the dark, I at least want to be able to call home. My goal was 8.25 to 9.25miles. I was doing really well, but got too late a start. Will have to be on the trail by 3:30pm from now on, only gonna get darker.

85oneone -thank you for your service. My brother-in-law finally got ahold of the family from Afganistan at 11:30pm his time.

degreg- 30 degree run on Nov 24? So far I think my low was the 36 degrees on Sunday. I used the baclava, and it was great for the first hour, then I ended up taking it off as I was getting too hot around mile 4. My head was wet and uncovered. Seemed better than to keep sweating.

NHLA - Nice 15 mile run on Nov 25.

jmsab23-  I put  your "I didnt say it was going to be easy. I said it was going to be worth it" on my Facebook with quotes but no author. A bunch of people "liked" it and one guy - Oliver Valez (stock trader) ended up taking the quote and added "Oliver Valez to his trading students".  WTF? Can we do that now? If so, "We find these truths to be self-evident. That all men are created equal..." Jeff Dill to the Active.com Blog Community.

Oh well- Hope all of your Thanksgivings were great. I gained about 3# during the 2 days of Thanksgiving eating, and last check was back down 2.5 of that. Skipping a meal doesnt here every now and then.

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,435. Nov 26, 2012 10:44 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.4 miles 55 min. down & up ecco mt,

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,436. Nov 27, 2012 4:56 AM (in response to NHLA)

Hey all, hope everyone had a very Happy Thanksgiving, especially those who did Turkey Trots of some kind.

Been a while since last post from Panama two weeks ago.  Got in a whopping 17 miles last week including a very hilly 5k TT las Thursday.  Mileage way down from HM training levels but work travel getting the best of me.

Am writing this from my very humble accommodations at Bagram AFB in Afghanistan where I will be for next two nights.  Have an even greater respect now for our military as I can see through the perimeter fence just how close the bad guys are.  I had two nephews who served here and am very proud of what they have done.  I can only say that this is truly a different world over here.

Hope to get in some morning runs the next two days if I can survive the almost constant dust in the air.  Will be listening for sirens through the night announcing incoming rockets although it is really pretty secure here.

Will head to Kandahar on Thursday for 1 night before a 24 hour trip through Dubai and Dulles to get home in Denver around noon on Saturday.

Have really enjoyed reading all your posts, even though I don't have time now to respond.  Congrats to all the racers, welcome to the newcomers, and glad to see some returnees to this forum.

Keep inspiring each other with the great stories, and when you go to bed tonight, please say a prayer for all of our young men and women so humbly and proudly protecting our great nation.

And most of all, stay fearless!

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,437. Nov 27, 2012 4:56 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

5:00 am 3.2 miles 27 minutes 25 degrees. Dark. This is what it's going to be like for the next 4 months. But I love it

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,438. Nov 27, 2012 5:56 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I got back to my 'puter yesterday and spent so much time reading all the posts I was behind on that I didn't get a chance to post.  Congratulations to all of the Turkey Trotters!  I was happy to discover (on Friday) that the YMCA in my parents' city does host a Turkey Trot, so next year I won't have to make up my own route and I'll be able to run with ~ 400 of my parents' neighbors.  This year my cold was still too bad to get out there anyway, I was sidelined for over a week with those rotten bugs running rampant in my system UGH!

Happily getting back to my own home was the final straw for the cold germs and they have retreated.  I was able to do a nice 3.5 mi on the treadmill last night.  It felt so good to be moving again, I'm sure you know what I mean.  Looking forward to a complete week back at the routine, and maybe a 5k on Saturday; there's a "run for lights" in the evening that goes through the light displays in one of the city parks.  It raises money for the women's shelter in town and I've been told is a beautiful route. 

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,439. Nov 27, 2012 7:18 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 29 min. nice temp.

linus sounds like a wild trip. I hate it when dust gets between your teeth.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...