Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

775 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2012 5:22 PM by Dark-Horse
Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
Dec 10, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 27, 2012 3:05 PM

Runs & workouts, Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Another 3 miles on the railtrail today.  Nordic walked the first mile, tossed the walking sticks into the brush and walk/jogged the second mile, then retrieved the sticks and finished with another mile of Nordic walking.  Splits were 14:48, 11:09 and 14:31.

I think I'm making progress with this injury, but it's hard to tell, it's going so slow.  There's a huge difference in my arch between my good foot and the one with Plantar Faciitis.  When I roll a golf ball under my good foot, the arch is soft and pliable, with my bad foot it's stiff, tight and sore.

With that in mind, I wore racing flats today.  I figured they're more flexible than regular shoes and would let me stretch out that tight arch by over-emphasizing the push-off and using a longer stride.  It seems to have worked, but I'm taking this one day at a time.

I wonder if N.E. will have Gronkowski back in the line-up in time to welcome the 9'ers into town.  The Pats deal with scrambling q'backs like Rothlisberger and Vick just fine and with a defense that's finally coming together, they're going to be tough to beat.

I used to love watching Montana back in the day though, that guy could play!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    1. Nov 27, 2012 2:30 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich, I hope you are doing a lot of STRETCHING.

5 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, in 38:03 (7:37 mile pace).

First mile in 8:00, gradually increased my pace, and last mile in 7:04.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    3. Nov 27, 2012 5:22 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich in NH wrote:

I THINK a tight plantar tendon is what's making me sore, but time will tell.

Rich, my left foot has had the bad plantar fasciitis--obviously it's not as bad now as it was, or I wouldn't be running this much--and I have noticed that my ENTIRE LEFT LEG is tighter than my right leg--hamstring, calf, heel, they are all tighter in my LEFT LEG than in my right leg. So tightness is a big part of what causes theplantar fasciitis pain, and stretching out ALL the parts of the bad leg--not just the foot--is key to addressing this problem.

In addition to lots of the usual stretches, I stand on the edge of a step at my gym, on one leg at a time, with just the ball of my foot on the step, and I lower my heel down below the level of the step, and then raise up my whole body using just that foot. Five sets of ten raises with each foot. What this does, is not only give a really good stretch to each foot, but it really builds up the strength in each foot, too.

NOTE: I do NOT stretch on days that I run! I stretch only on days that I DON'T run. But when I stretch, I REALLY stretch, often for over half an hour. Before a run I will stretch out my legs for just a few seconds, that's it; then I run. I think my legs stay springier for my run if I don't stretch them out too much.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...