Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1517 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2013 8:57 AM by Crissy_Jo RSS
squilky Pro 91 posts since
Jul 18, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 20, 2012 6:45 AM

Training Pace Confusion

I'm a 39 year old male.  I completed C25k in the summer of 2011, and have since run in a few 5k's and 10k's. I signed up to do the Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon in March of 2013. I want to do the Hal Higdon training plan. I was reading Hal's recommendations and he suggested doing the slow runs to build endurance at about 65-75% of maximum heart rate. When I plug my age and target heart rate into the Actice.com target heart rate calculator, it says for me 65% is 117 BPM and 75% is 135. BPM. I seem to have a naturally faster heart rate. When I run, I can get up to the 130 range inside of the first 2 minutes. I usually hover between 150-170 when I run shorter distances (3-4 miles). So I'm confused as to what I should do about this. I'm not sure if I am pushing myself too hard during each run if my average HR is around 160. My pace per mile seems kind of slow, I average around 10:00 miles. So I don't think I am being overly tough on my myself.

So I'm at a bit of a loss here. Do I run and as soon as my hr hits around 130-135 slow down and walk? That just seems so low. I feel like I would be stopping to walk every few minutes. And I feel like it would slow my overall pace way down if I had to keep walking. So does anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about training for my 1st half? I don't want to burn myself out, but I also don't want to pamper myself too much.

Couch to 5k completed: 7/15/2011

USPTO 5K 10/16/2011; 29:14 110/238

Bull Run Festival of Lights 5K 12/31/2011; 31:30 324/683

Primal Mud Run 4/14/2012; 1:29:29

Cody's Crew 5k 9/16/2012 31:15

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,269 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Nov 20, 2012 7:59 AM (in response to squilky)
    Re: Training Pace Confusion

This is just a brief explanation of the basics.  You need to know your actual maximum heart rate (MHR) to calculate zones correctly.  Knowing your resting heart rate (RHR) is also helpful.  The 220 minus age formula was not meant to apply to the general population and is accurate only 50% - 60% of the time.  There are ways to approximate your MHR, such as in http://www.howtobefit.com/determine-maximum-heart-rate.htm, or you could get tested at a "human performance" type lab ($$$).  Your RHR should be taken before you get out of bed in the morning, several mornings in a row, and average the readings.  Then, using the "Karvonen method", which takes RHR into account, you will usually get more realistic heart rate zones.  The formula is "Percent of (MHR minus RHR) plus RHR"  So if MHR=181 and RHR=55, 75% is 0.75(181-55)+55 which is 149.  A higher MHR moves the zones higher.  Interestingly enough, a lower RHR (somewhat desirable, since it tends to indicate a stronger heart) moves zones lower.

Hope this helps.

Len

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Nov 20, 2012 8:12 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

A fairly easy way to get a gage is do a 2 mile run with a HR monitor.  Run this 2 mile run as a time trail all out see what your max HR is and take 75% of it as your training pace.  I find it best to train some in all zones, but your LR's should be as listed.  The longer your race the more important the HR becomes. 

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    5. Dec 4, 2012 10:42 AM (in response to squilky)
    Training Pace Confusion

If you run a half marathon at an 11:03 pace, your finish time will be 2:24:41.  

Seems like a reasonable goal to me, good luck!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    6. Dec 4, 2012 11:32 AM (in response to squilky)
    Training Pace Confusion

I think you will find your HR will be lower towards the end of your cycle.  If it's higher you are over training.  When you become more fit it will go down some!

• Crissy_Jo Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 24, 2009
    7. Jan 5, 2013 8:57 AM (in response to squilky)

If it helps you any, my max recorded heart rate is 205 bpm and my resting heart rate is ~52 bpm. I'm a 39 yr old female.  Last night I was doing some speed intervals with my bpm in the 190's.

I remember doing a heart rate test/experiment at 13 and discovered my heart rate was well above everyone else in my science class.  I lied about my actual heart rate because I thought everyone would think there was something wrong with me.  I also have low blood pressure, and I always thought that might factor into it - but that may not be the case.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...