Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

552 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 3:16 AM by Rich in NH RSS
Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
Dec 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 4, 2012 5:07 PM

Runs & workouts, Tuesday, December 4, 2012

About half of our group training here at Tyndall Air Force Base is Army like me. The other half is Air Force, and our instructors are Air Force. The Air Force is higher-class than the Army: much better facilities, smarter people, and the people are treated like human beings. There is a swimming pool here and a large beautiful fitness complex. Every day a maid enters my room during the day and makes my bed and cleans up the place and puts fresh soap and toiletries in the bathroom, like a motel. I've never experienced anything like this treatment in the Army. Army lodgings are typically shared by several people and you have to provide your own soap and supplies. No one makes your bed or cleans up. Before you leave, you have to clean up the place yourself, and someone inspects to make sure you do.

Tomorrow we are supposed to draw up some work products on paper, illustrating and describing how we would accomplish our mission. The Air Force instructors told us, "We would give you crayons for this task, but the Army guys tend to eat the crayons."

5 miles on the treadmill in the luxurious Air Force gym, with a TV attached to every treadmill and a little picture of a track for me to watch my progress, 1% incline, in 44:25 (8:53 mile pace).

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    1. Dec 4, 2012 5:17 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Runs & workouts, Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Hey DH, good work.

Rich, you just keep on truckin'.

Still sitting on the sidelines.  Hoping to start walking tomorrow.  Grew up near Travis AFB, so half my friends dads were Air Force.  Several times they quoted that average IQ ratings where Air Force > Navy > Army > Marines.  Must have heard a few other military related jokes, not that I can remember any now.

Ray

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    3. Dec 5, 2012 3:16 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Real funny you two...

When the gov't was trying to get me killed back in the Vietnam era, I was accepted into the Air Force until I failed their silly color blind test.  Seems wires with different colors mean different things.  Who knew?

Then the Army tried to draft me, but I thought I might need to be prepared to fight a war, so enlisted into the Marine Corp (Unlimited S*%t, Mass Confusion) to get some decent training before being shipped out.

I won't go into the differences in productivity between the Marines and Army, but the difference was striking...

Nice workout D.H., good luck walking tomorrow Ray

Me?  30 minutes on the ski machine, push-ups and sit-ups

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...