Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

730228 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 299 300 301 302 303 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,500. Dec 5, 2012 7:09 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Legs are still a little tight, especially my calves.  Stretching and massaging through that.  Running a Jingle Bell 5k on Saturday morning benefiting a local arthritis foundation. 

Not looking forward to these Wisconsin winter months.  December, January and February are the worst.  Cold and dark when I leave for work and cold and dark when I get home.  Temps in the 30's don't bother me at all, but colder than that with a wind and running can be down right miserable.  I'm supplementing my slowed running schedule with P90X Lean and running on the days that the weather cooperates.

Coyote - Good luck on the job search.  If there's anything I can do (middle management at a large midwestern manufacturer), I'll be willing and happy to do so.  PM me if you're interested.

Mkayc - Yeah, I expected my legs to be tight.  Massaging and stretching.

Melody - I know you had success a primal/paleo diet.  If you're lactose tolerant, how much dairy did you cut out?

Cheers All.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,501. Dec 5, 2012 9:59 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4.5 miles, 48 minutes, up and down South Table Mountain.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,502. Dec 5, 2012 10:51 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 29 min. Donated blood yesterday so been taking it easy.

jimsab 43 is fast

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,503. Dec 5, 2012 12:12 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Seems like I get two pages of posts behind every time I look on here; sorry I can't respond to everyone, it'd take me a half hour just to make notes of everything I want to say.

OC good luck on the job hunt.

Melody congrats on the magazine article!

Snerb  my Jingle Bell is this coming Saturday too, enjoy!  I'm planning on making a lot of noise, I pin bells to myself all over the place.  I'm not looking forward to winter running either, glad I haven't had to start dealing with snow and ice just yet.  I do a lot more TM time in winter, only running outside on the weekends. 

This past weekend was a nice 5.5 mile run in a tee shirt and capri's, no tights no mittens etc.  Unheard of in Wisconsin in December!!  I planned to do 7 but had to cut it a little short due to sore legs from Wednesday's Cardio Fusion class...I was too enthusiastic in class yet again.  I did a very slow 2 mi (TM) on Thurs just to warm up the muscles so I could do 15 min of stretching to try to loosen everything up.  Need to remember to take it a little easier this week .

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,504. Dec 5, 2012 1:04 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

We finally got a (brief) taste of the warmer weather you guys have been talking about here in Maine today. It was about 51 when we took off (9 a.m.) for our big hill run, 4.25 miles. At 3 p.m. it was 41. Back to reality tonight. But we had a good run. 34:14, in shorts and a long-sleeved shirt.

Oshcat... It must be tough running with all those bells on you!!

NHLA.... with Dr.'s blessing at the end of the month, I'll start donating again. Had low iron for a while now.

Snerb.... Roger that on the cold months. C'Mon, April!!!!!

Found this quote last night on one of the Active motivational postings:

“Some of the world’s greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible.”

- Doug Larson

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,505. Dec 5, 2012 7:17 PM (in response to jmsab23)

Hi All -

13.3 miles at 10:45 pace. Horrible pace. Great new distance. I decided to try that new route (thanks for the advice OldCoyote but I got it too late). I have not been running with any food/drink for about a month now, and Ive been loving it. Today, I think I pushed that luck a little too hard. Started off near 44 degrees, but quickly got to 38 and I was much wetter than I realized as the wind whipped through me. That new trail ended up bringing me for 2-3 miles up a hill. My legs havent been trained enough for them, but I made it. Explains the pace. I wanted to get that 1/2 in 2012, and now thats done. Im probably going to cut back the milage and work on speedwork some more. 10K race on 01/01. Its nice to know I can do the 13.1, but dont need to push that for now. I'll sign up soon for the 26.2 - The Memorial Day run that Im signing up for put out a picture on FB. tough-marathon.jpgIm not sure what makes it the toughest, there are some hills on the route, but guess I'll find out. Its both inspirational and scarey at the same time.

mkayc - you were right, I could do a 13.1 - I didnt get your note until just now. What is a 'cutback' ? "Take a weeks cutback and go for it" - Im still very neewbeeish.

OC- Not sure how much you were joking about the "bring drink and food". What food does anyone carry on a run? I am often worried that I'll be hit by a car and left in the woods overnight. I did have a good app on my iPhone called "Find Friends" it worked great. My wife could see me on the iPad. Now, I have a Droid phone and cant find any good tracking apps.

snerb- I like your idea to do P90X on the cold days.

After today's run, I coughed a little, one was strong enough to almost make me vomit. Im thinking dehydration, but since Im new, I know nothing. I did some static stretching after the run, but a few minutes later my legs were in really bad pain. Took a hot shower and had some fluids. They got better. As I said, I also did some hills today, so maybe thats all it was. I dont know what dehydration looks/feels like.

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

Apr 9, 2011
    4,506. Dec 6, 2012 6:47 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

What I meant to post yesterday (but kept getting an error message)

degregorius - friend, that gelatto-like desert has some serious chemistry lab ingredients in it. Can you run a route that takes you past Whole Foods? Michael Pollan's Food Rules changed my life.

Melodylea - I spent 2 day's pay at age 18 on my first Gore-Tex. Well worth it.

jmsab - I held 9.2 MPH for about 1/2 mile yesterday...downhill.

snerb - Good on you for not devoting the dark months to bowling and beer. 15 days until the days get longer!

oshcat - See above, and thanks for the good word. 

Jeff - 10:45 is a respectable pace for a 13+ mile training run. My first half marathon was a 10:13 pace.

As far as food on the road, recent research shows that endurance cyclists get peak performance when consuming 90 grams of carbs per hour, in a 2:1 glucose:fructose ratio. Powerbar products have this ratio, Gatorade is 50/50. You'd have to drink 3 pints of gatorade per hour to get the carbs you can use, or 3 packages of Power Bar Energy Blasts, or two packs and 12 oz of Gatorade, which is more reasonable.

I do most of my runs without nutrition. If you can get into the 60-75 minute range, you'll train your body to burn fat instead of glycogen (stored sugars). But I wanted to also train myself for ultra distances, so I started eating real food - PBJs, bananas, oranges - on my LSD days. I ran a series of out and backs and left a cooler in my car. I'd eat 100 calories or so and get back to running, then use GU or gels as a supplement on the trail. I believe my strategy was successful, as I never hit the wall in my marathon, fueling similarly.

EPA estimate only, your mileage may vary. The constant jogging of a runner's digestive tract can add a certain delicacy to the fueling process, but with practice you can figure it out.

On yesterday's run you probably were dehydrated. I try to ingest 2 oz of water per 10 minutes on runs longer than an hour or so. As far as coughing, I used to have that problem, too. In fact, I popped out a hernia while coughing after a run. (Had surgery, I'm in great shape, thanks!). It went away. I'm not sure how much is based on core strength, but I suspect that a stable core supports the diaphragm, easing breathing.

I looked up the marathon you're talking about. http://www.memorialdaymarathon.com/  I doubt it's the toughest in the East, but the elevation profile looks challenging. It's never flat - you are always on a hill, including 2 miles at a 3% grade (downhill at mile 3-4, uphill at 22-23). That uphill is at a Very Dangerous Point in the Marathon, and could break a few spirits if they haven't trained for it. Do some hill work as part of your training, and you'll be OK. And it looks absolutely beautiful.

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,507. Dec 6, 2012 2:30 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

Old Coyote After reviewing the ingredients, yes there were some additives. On the other hand, I only had a few ounces.  Try everything once.  Anyway, I also had the fresh squeezed orange juice that same day.

I shop at Whole Paycheck once in a while.  They sell a sunblock that is well rated.

"The constant jogging of a runner's digestive tract can add a certain delicacy to the fueling process, but with practice you can figure it out."

Good one!  I make sure I wait at least 90 minutes after eating oat meal, or bread with orangge marmalde on it before running.

One thing that made me go "Huh?" was before  the Chicago's Perfect 10 race.  I saw peoople eating bananas.  Sorry, no one can digest THAT fast.  A GU gel pac? Yes.  But bananas?

Oh yes, and good liuck on job searching.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,508. Dec 6, 2012 3:27 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 30 min.

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    4,509. Dec 6, 2012 5:38 PM (in response to NHLA)

Hey guys! I'm taking time off, but wanted to stop by and read what you all have been up to.

Snerb: Awesome come back run after 4 weeks off. Welcome back! Good luck on your 5k this weekend.

Mary Kay: I'm so glad you're allowing yourself to rest. Best wishes for a full recovery. :-)

dilljeffrey: Congrats on 13.3 miles! You've run a half marathon. Now you need a medal. Sign up for a race and get some bling. And yea, the World's Toughest Marathon sounds pretty darn scary, but I'm sure you will rock it. I'm no expert, but I think your coughing could be attributed to the weather and whether you were inhaling through your mouth during your run. I usually don't inhale through my mouth, but I noticed myself coughing at the end of Chicago and had a weird feeling in my chest. I know I started inhaling through my mouth at the end of that run because breathing through the nose just wasn't working for me. Regarding nutrition, just see test and see what works. I can run on empty up to a 10k, but I wouldn't go any further without having something in my system. But, everyone is different, so it's about figuring out what works for you. By the way, you're making amazing progress for a newbie.

Melody: Great job on getting that 3 miles in, even though it was tough.

FrancessMom and Jmsab23:  Sounds like you're enjoying unseasonably warm weather like us here in Atlanta. Pretty cool to be running in spring like temps in Dec, huh?

Good luck on your races/runs this weekend, guys. I'll be back to read about it. Run happy, run strong.

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,510. Dec 6, 2012 6:35 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Had the whole afternoon for training today, so I did the complete deal- 2 sets of core/strength XRs, including my new crunches, and then put in 10 miles on the TM (it was about 29 degrees out with some wind). Felt pretty good on the run, but didn't push it like I usually try to do, finishing in 1:17:20. Left the incline at 1% for the whole run, since I did the big hill run yesterday.

Jeff.... NICE 13.3, no matter the pace!!                I'm another one who doesn't hydrate or fuel unless I'm doing a long run. Today I took a couple swigs off my water bottle after 7 miles or so. My 10k races I might grab a cup at one of the water stops, but that's about it. I've built up to that over the past two years. A friend who's been racing for years told me hydrating on the shorter races was more mental than physical -- it's sometimes your excuse to slow down or stop for a few seconds. In the heat, though, I do take my hydration belt and a GU for my longer training runs. Also, I've also had a couple runs with some coughing lately, so I'm attributing it to the colder temps, even if I'm on the TM in the cellar.

Degregorious... About the bananas, I've read that before -- eating a banana before the longer races will help supply your fuel and give you a quick energy boost. I've never done it. I usually don't eat for an hour before a race. I may take a bite or two off an energy bar a few minutes before a longer race.

NRDgirl.... As you can see, our warm weather didn't last long.

Coyote.... Great job on the speedwork!! How'd the 9.2 feel? Do you think you'll try faster? or 9.2 for longer? I'm hoping to do a mile next week at 9.4.

NHLA.... What's your next race?

Take a minute, please, people, to remember Pearl Harbor tomorrow, Dec. 7. Another day to make a special effort to thank a veteran.

Apr 9, 2011
    4,511. Dec 6, 2012 7:49 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Degreg - yes, bananas. They give you a shot of fructose and potassium and um, slow things up down there.  I know, TMI. Fortunately Whole Paycheck has competition in Denver, so we have access to some good foods for a cowtown. And thanks!

NHLA - steady as a rock

NRDgirl - don't stay gone too long!

jmsab - My next goal, speedwise, is a 7 minute mile which is 8.5 mph. Pretty sure I have it in me now; just need discipline. Or a TM to pace me.

7.2 miles, 70 minutes up and across South Table Mountain in a night run with a group. I usually chase a faster sub-group with these guys, and I did tonight again. Real good workout, and a beautiful view of Golden from the Castle, a prominence at the west end of the mesa. Lots of Christmas lights below us.

Registered today for the 2013 Quicker Quaker 5K on January 12. It's a fairly large event - over 1000 people in a bad weather year, 1350 last year. Hoping for sub-24 minutes, but weather can be a big factor. This was my first 5K - 33:30 in 2006

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,512. Dec 7, 2012 6:10 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles on the TM at 5.3 (11:19) which is a little faster for me.  I was getting tired at the end but made it through.  No soreness this morning so that will be my new base to work from going forward.  Long runs are still ~ 12mm but that's just fine for me.

Jingle Bell 5k tomorrow morning, looking forward to the fun!  Then long run on Sunday a friend of mine who lives on the route wants to join me for a bit, so that will end up being mostly a walk since she is a zero-time runner.  I don't mind so long as it's the beginning of an exercise routine for her!

Have a good weekend everyone, may you all be blessed with good running weather (whatever that means to each of you).

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,513. Dec 7, 2012 6:11 AM (in response to Old Coyote)

Nice runs everyone.  I have been following the discussions and agree about fueling on longer runs.  Any run over 5 miles I bring water unless it is hot out.  I use Gu if run is longer than 8 miles.  When I run I have 3 areas of concern: muscles, breathing and stomach.  Stomach issues are usually my biggest monkey wrench.  I usually save the banana for afterwards.  Signs of dehydaration include thirst, headache, dizziness, flushed skin, fatigue, dry mouth and dark colored urine.  Dehydration can happen in the winter!  Be careful!

My 7 y/o son is home sick Day 2!  No run yesterday and it looks doubtful for today. This morning he was sick in the bathroom sink, then he broke a glass on the kitchen counter and there were shards of glass everywhere  - even in my hand!  I am running with you all in spirit! Stay healthy!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

Apr 9, 2011
    4,514. Dec 7, 2012 9:39 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Just a mile jog this morning to keep a streak going.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...