Skip navigation

12496 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2012 6:20 AM by RylanMede RSS
mommyjill05 Rookie 4 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 12, 2006 8:34 PM

Mom to 2 babies - tips on finding the time to train

I've done 2 sprint distance triathlons but now that I'm a mom to an 18 month old and a 3 month old I'm completely out of shape. I'm about 35 lbs heavier than I was when I got pregnant with my 18 month old. I haven't worked out in at least 2 years and I really know that planning to do another tri will help motivate me.

My question is - are there any other busy mom's out there? Any tips on finding the time and the energy to train? Is it possible to really get in shape without going to the gym? I live in AZ where it's over 100 degrees all summer, so training outdoors is out of the question and the closest gym is too far for me to realistically go to. I have a nice treadmill at home and I plan to start on that. I also would like to invest in some weights and I'll just have to try to fit the bike in on the weekend mornings when my husband is home and can watch the kids. Any suggestions or tips would be great! I really want to do this and just don't know where to get started.

Thanks.

Jill

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 13, 2006 9:47 AM (in response to mommyjill05)
    dad of 2 kids checking in

look at a bike trainer/rollers or a bike trailer for the kids.  early AM or late PM workouts could also work when everyone else is asleep.

here's a similar thread:

http://messageboards.active.com/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=3231&tstart=135

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• the123super Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

My wife and I have two kids (2 & 4) and we both have full time jobs, activities, etc... so time is tight.

I am training for my first sprint tri in 3 weeks and a marathon in the fall but have competed in half marathons and other events.  My wife is training for her second half marathon this year after having no running or athletics experience.

I've found that you have to find a training plan for your level and schedule it into your day, just like anything else.  For example, I workout at 5 in the morning, then I pick up the kids after daycare and she goes for her training runs after work and on the weekends. 

Having friends or neighbors to workout with also helps keep you to your schedule.  Try to find a local running, swimming, or biking club to keep you motivated.  Even better, get your husband training for an event for that added support!

• BigGirlsTri Expert 59 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

I have an 8 year old and a 7 year old.  I train at 5 in the morning and am home before they are awake.  Also, I know you said the gym is far, but our gym has a room that will watch the kids while you work out.  Our gym has a separate part for babies.  I was watching my 6 week old nephew and they even watched him for me while I was working out.

I live in Chicago, so my winters are as cold as your summers are hot.  I bought a bike trainer that I set up in my room and ride my bike.  I like it better then a stationary bike because I am riding the bike that I will be riding in events.

The best advice I can give you is to just find the time to do it.  Even if you have to do 15 minutes here, 20 minues there, etc.  The one thing that I have noticed over the years is how much my kids talk about my working out and how they are now excited about training for their own kids triathlon for next summer.  This is the best thing you could do, not only for you, but also for your kids. 

If you are looking for some help on the weight loss as far as food goes.  I've been going to Weight Watchers for years now and couldn't do it without.  If you can try and find a buddy or a support system in that area and you will have more success.  If you want you could always email me for encouragement.  I love encouraging others.

My email is Mommymeepa@aol.com.

Take care and I know you will do this.

Melissa

• bigmamajones Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

I too have a hard time finding time for training, but I have made a commitment to do this for myself. You have to believe you are worth the time, and you are.  I am convinced exercise helps me be a better mother, wife and teacher.  I live in a hot area, (running after 9 am is out of the question) with three children, 8 yrs, 6 yrs and 4 months.  The best thing I could do before I joined a gym (which is a twenty-five minute drive away) is used the track at the local high school.  I know your children are still a little young to play on the field in the middle while you run around the track, but at ages 4 and 2 my older children brought a soccer ball and played while I ran around the track.  I used it for interval training.(I hate running with a jogging stroller, but I will when I have to.)   I also used exercise videos at home on days I couldn't run, Remember even 15 minutes is better than nothing.  Be good to yourself and carve out a little time to take care of your health and sanity.

• torellichik Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

Yes, there are tons of busy moms out here just like you. You can absolutely do this as long as you realize that your training has to take a non-traditional approach.You can get into shape without the gym.

Assuming that you are training for sprint distance races and that you are more concerned with getting in shape and finishing the race as opposed to your overall and split times, I would start with your treadmill and map out a training schedule on it that you can do around your kids schedules. Having a workable plan is a great idea but just starting to move will go the longest way in getting you back in touch with your goals. Get on that treadmill in the meantime while you are figuring out a plan of action even if it's just for a short walk. Before you know it, you'll be running.

I would start nice and slow and build gradually from there. Get yourself a good pair of running shoes. Get fitted for a pair now since your feet post pregnancy may have changed in size. Investing in some weights is an excellent idea because you will need to build muscle as well. You can realistically train for the bike on weekends as long as you are consistent or if it's a possibility to gain access to a stationary bike or indoor trainer, you can also supplement your road biking with that. This approach has worked well for me and I also do my road biking on weekends when my husband is home. Once you are in a routine and training consistently, not insanely, the weight will take care of itself. I would never suggest cutting back too drastically on calories because you need energy to train and take care of your children. Eating a sensible diet and good nutritious food is the only way to go. Clueing in your doctor on your plans may also be a good idea especially if you are breastfeeding.

I wish you the best. We moms fit training in whenever we can. We are amazingly good at it and make it work like no one else because we know we do not have the luxury to work out whenever we please.

I know you'll be out there racing again in no time.

• jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

You should check out that other thread that got posted.  There was some helpful info on it.  I posted the original request for help and now that I'm a little ways off from that I can definitely tell you that the biggest thing that helped me wasn't in any training device (though a gym membership and bike trainers do help)...  It was an attitude change.  I finally decided one day that I had to take care of myself and that I wanted to do triathlons and I would do whatever it takes.  For example, I am not a morning person at all.  If I could sleep every day until 9 am I would.  But my kids don't allow that and my husband is so busy (especially during the summer)that I can't wait until the evenings.  That leaves me with early mornings.  I have to take what I can get so I get up at 4 a.m. for my long runs and leave as soon as it gets light to go biking.  There are still some times that I can't get my workouts done due to my husbands schedule or sick kids or just plain being too tired but I have a strong will and I've worked hard with the time that I do have.  In fact, the day of the last tri I did was only the second time I even got on my bike since last fall and I ended up 34th over-all and 11th in my age group.  I also completed a 1/2 marathon in 1 hour and 54 minutes.  So I'm not super fast or anything but with the amount of training I've done I feel like I'm doing well and most importantly I've lost most of my baby weight and I feel really strong and healthy.

It's best to plan ahead when you are working around your family but there are also times when I have to just spur-of-the-moment run out the door and grab a quick workout.  I don't know if any of this is helpful but honestly the biggest difference to me has been in my head just having a strong enough desire that I'll do things I normally wouldn't. (like getting up at 4 a.m. and running for miles in the dark)

Good Luck to you.  If I can do it anyone can!!

• saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007

Here is the other thread Jen was talking about, mom of four needs a training schedule.

• julhodgden Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 20, 2007

I'm a mom of five and trained and finished my first marathon two years ago.  I found that having a flexible attitude and not beating myself up when I missed a workout were the most important aspects to keeping on track.  If you set a goal like a race that can help as well.  At first I worked out at the gym but after a while I got really bored.  Now I always run outside.  There's something so freeing about "escaping" the house and running in a wide open world anywhere I want to go.  It means to get my workout in I have to be pretty creative sometimes either morning or afternoon depending on the weather.  Don't feel like you are shortchanging your kids because you will be a much better mother when you take care of yourself.  Good luck!!!

• RylanMede Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 7, 2012

You need to burn more fats to decrease your weight, I see you start with exercising on treadmill which is good but here are some other effect things you can do at home to burn the fats:

Try taking a steam bath and the reason why it works is because our body’s fat becomes sweat at 43C (only recommended if your blood pressure is normal).

Diet is the most important factor in weight loss, avoid eating fat rich foods may be use olive oil so often than cooking oil because the fats you get from olive oil are very healthy unsaturated fats.

Learn more about what foods that make us gain weight and try to avoid them, perhaps you are eating high calories foods without knowing it.  Usually carbohydrates and fats can make us gain weight very quickly and there are dozens of diets that tackle this issue like Atkins diet.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...