Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

656187 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 300 301 302 303 304 ... 327 Previous Next
  • NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,515. Dec 7, 2012 11:35 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

7 miles 58 min. Nasty day. Wet and cold but no wind.

jmsab no race plans for now.

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,516. Dec 7, 2012 5:30 PM (in response to NHLA)

Hi All -

I planned on a shorter run today. Original plan was 8 miles minimum, then decided to shoot for 11. Just shy of 9.5, I felt too many little pains to ignore. Its been a great week and I didnt want to end it badly. Downside? It was raining and cold and I was 2 miles from my car. - Oh yeah- I drive 1 mile to get to the spot where I run from. Kinda silly, but I live on a steep, winding, rural road. Its got a 25 mile speed limit that nobody sticks to. And remember its steep. Ive done a couple runs up the hill ending back home, but am not bold enough to go down the hill and have it face me for my final mile. I am no NHLA- speaking of whom, congrats on the 7 miles under an hour! Impressive as always.

So, I had to walk 2 miles to get to the car. I'll try to plan better for my runs. Ive walked 1 mile before at night when my lights failed me.

I still need help finding a good DROID based maping system. I can map my runs, but I like my family to be able to find me in real-time. Just in case. It seems the Google Maps might work, but havent gotten confirmation yet.

I have started a new routine. I usually run 3x a week. I was coming on here only when I ran. But you guys give such great support and information, that I signed on last night just to read the posts.

OldCoyote - Thank you for all the great details on fueling. I ran the 9.5 today no problem. Body felt pretty good afterwards. Im a little hypoglycemic, wasnt too hungry but need to get something more into me. Ate 5 eggs 2 hours before running ( I eat a lot of eggs ) and had a glass of juice and a cup of coffee. Had some reflux, but fairly minimal. Had 20 oz of Gatorade before the run and nothing during the run. It worked out well. I wasnt dying of thirst after 9.5 miles - rain on my face probably helped that.

NRDgirl - read  your response last night. Thank you, very helpful. I tried to focus more on nasal breathing today. Woke up to 28 degrees, but it was 37 by the time I got on the road. Very little coughing tonight, and seemed like less during the run. I found myself mouth-breathing when I wasnt paying attention.

jmsab23- I agree with the hydration being mental with shorter runs, at least once youve trained to longer runs. My first 5k race I slowed down for some water. It gave me stomach cramps (and several other people) - from then on, I decided I was going to bring my own. On the TM I always took sips. But on the road, in the fall, Im loving no fluids. I liked everyones suggestion for around 10k or 10m. Depending on the weather, I think I am fine until I hit those levels.

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

• runpeterson Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 8, 2012
    4,517. Dec 8, 2012 1:59 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My last run was on first on the 1st december, 5 km, trying to keep in cardiovascular zone

It was snowing and frosty....brrrrrr

Feb 23, 2012
    4,518. Dec 8, 2012 9:25 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

10 miles 1 hr 27 min. Davis, Hebron, & Ecco Mts. Clear up high, fog in the valley.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,519. Dec 8, 2012 1:08 PM (in response to NHLA)

An hour at the gym. Really wanted to be outside, weather was good and I was planning to try a short run but I read a few posts before going, felt the lump in my chest and dialed it back. Thank you?  I'm running a 5k next Sunday in a Santa Suit (Santa Merry) and am starting to worry I won't be able to. I know that sounds ridiculous but if I had to do it today, I have serious doubts. This is put on by my friend Scott's local running group that I've struggled to run with because they are so fast. I was talking to the store owner that sponsors the group about starting a run/walk program and he jumped on it and somehow I am now *volunteered* to organize a C25k type group starting January. In four weeks? )&*(^*&*^&^&%$!!! Be careful what you ask for. Seems everyone is having balmy weather, even in Maine!

DillJeffrey, the adage says the solution is in the problem. You know your body best. The fact that you had discomfort after your run and you thought to ask about fueling leads me to think on some level you recognized a need to fuel and hydrate. OC has a great formula here for what he does. I am going to try it. There's a lot of options between the two extremes of too much and too little. The ritual of eating and drinking can be a nice distraction while you run but it's not comfortable for me after I've done it so my goal is to find that method that allows me to perform as well as possible taking in as little as possible.

Don, I was just poking fun at your jaunts for gelato. It's a wonderful way to end a long run!! Plenty of protein and you've earned it. And, yes, I see all kinds of things before races, too. They attract a wide variety of folks. I'm not eating a banana right before I run and I'm not running in a kilt, thank you very much.

Snerb, mixing running and P90 Lean is hard core. That's some fierce training!

OC, that's some thoughtful fueling! You are steady Freddy with your plan!

Oshcat, you are back! 5.5 and 4+ are great! Hope you had a wonderful race!!

Jeff, 10+ is great on a trail for a HM!! Finished mine in four painful hours! That's a pace of 18+. Well, only the last two were truly painful. You're doing great!! Just focus on hill work so the ups and downs don't sap you. OC would know. Ha! Sounds like you're addicted to the thread.

FranMom, hope DS is feeling better real soon!

NHLA, you are amazing! With no race plans, when you run so often and so fast, what are your goals?

Shine on, like the moon and the stars and the sun!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,520. Dec 8, 2012 1:27 PM (in response to NHLA)

3+ pages of posts!  Whew - no time to comment on everything, but I love reading them

Tues I could not get my body moving.  Calves were tight -  borderline painful, breathing off, ugh.  I made it a 1/2 mile, felt like injury was imminent, turned around and ran home for a whole mile.  Wednesday was better - 3.25 miles with lots of stretching along the way; Thursday cycling and weightlifting at the Y; Friday a few dozen snooze-button presses.  Work has been exhausting.  Then had an a-ha moment that I've been slacking off on the iron pills the last month or so - probably anemic again so I'm being really good now.   Water aerobics and weightlifting this morning.  Hoping for a nice long run tomorrow.  The hardest part is getting out of bed.  Signing up for a New Year's Run - maybe I need external motivation.

MaryKay - R&R is exactly what you need

OldCoyote - good luck on the job hunt

run happy* friends.

*credit duly given to Brooks

• LeighDS Amateur 21 posts since
    Feb 11, 2012
    4,521. Dec 8, 2012 2:31 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I'm not new to running but I just starte dposting on the forums. My last run was today actually. Started out as a 7 miler but ended up going a full 9 miles. Time was decent (1 hr 24 m) but it was freezing rain and kind of windy here. I really hate wearing a lot of clothes during my runs but in NH the winter season is approaching.

Finished Races

2010 Tanger Outlet 5K

2011 Tanger Outlet 5K

2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon

2012 Stonyfield Earth Day 5K

2012 Make-A-Wish Big Lake Half Marathon

2012 WOW' fest Trail 10K

2012 Tanger Outlet Fit For a Cure 5K

2012 I Survived The End of the Wolrd 4-Miler

Upcoming Races

TBD

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,522. Dec 8, 2012 4:27 PM (in response to LeighDS)

Been a crazy week getting ready for a big art show today (which went really well)! So, I only snuck in a few runs, but both decent, with the last run being a very cold (teens) morning run. It was great to know all the gear etc. I use for the cold works. I'm really looking forward to get back to my "normal" now the art show is behind me.

jmsab23 Thanks and really nice TM work plus that sweet warm weather running

Snerb I hear you on the cold dark winter days, it is a challenge! The cross training will work, for sure. Regarding me and dairy, I had to cut ALL dairy, including whey protien.

Old Coyote You da man! Thanks for sharing your great running wisdom with Jeff. I've allways soaked in your wise words regarding running and appreciated every one of them!

OshCat Thanks. Re: article. Running in short sleeves and capris sounds dreamy!

JEFF CT I would'nt call  10:45 terrible! (IMO). Big congrats on the marathon sign up, hey, that's MY race too! I usually run the 10k on the same day and course and raise money for animal charity. Very cool. We will have to high five.

NHLA Nice! You never cease to amaze me...seriously.

NRDgirl Thanks, girl! Safe journey.

OshCat Best of luck on the Jingle Bell 5K!! You are a good friend to support your neighbor in her exercise efforts.

mkayc I'm glad to hear you are healing and listening to your body.

Debm2011 I hope the iron pills do the trick! Keep those calves stretched out.

LeighDS Welcome! There are several of us runners here that power right through the tough East coast winters, so we'll be here for support.

Me...geared up for winter running.

Winter Running.jpg

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,523. Dec 8, 2012 5:01 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

A 6 mile run in cloudy 38 degree weather.  I'm trying to find out what would be a sustainable pace for a marathon.  9:38?  No, although that's what it averaged out to this afternoon.

Now that I know what a "fartlek" is, I'll try it tomorrow.

Monday, I have the day off, so it's off to the Lakefront trail.  30 degree weather be damned.

And on Tuesday, my legs may file for divorce.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,524. Dec 8, 2012 5:30 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Jeff - Good job cutting the run short. Cold tightens the muscles and connective tissue, making injuries more likely.

NHLA - step step step step step step...

runpetersen - Welcome!

marykay - Rest is GOOD for 5K times. I promise. Doing an easy 3 on Wednesday and Friday might be helpful. You'll rock that Santa suit!

debm - A day I run only 1 mile is...a day I run!

LeighDS - Welcome to you, too also!

melodylea - congratulations on a successful show.

45 degrees, windy, but sunny up, down, and around North Table Mountain. In exposed spots the west wind gusted to 25, and was sustained over 10. I was a bit chilled, but stuck it out for a strong 2 hours, 10.5 - 11 miles of varied terrain. Quite technical in spots (especially downhill), mostly runnable with some spots it is necessary or at least prudent to walk, some flats, some rolling terrain. Lots of up and down . Tonight the temp gets down to 14, and a high of 24 tomorrow, so I won't be traipsing around in shorts on my run in the morning! And yes, I'm running at sub 20 dgrees tomorrow, and I will relish every moment!

I had a discussion with a fellow runner the other night about my planned 50K. She asked which one, and then said, "Not THAT one. Pick something that's not three flat loops, something with some hills. Do the Dirty 30." Now, the Dirty 30 is a climber/scrambler course. A local legend, with a $100 prize for bloodiest runner, as voted by the runners. Very difficult terrain.  A bit intimidating to me. But I started thinking - if she thought I could do the Dirty 30, then I really should start looking for a more challenging course, so I researched the North Fork 50K in Pine, Colorado, along the South Platte drainage. More scenery, more hills. I want to run htat one and volunteer at the Dirty 30 in 2013.

Run free!

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,525. Dec 8, 2012 8:20 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

DS woke me at 5 am coughing.  Took 30 minutes to get him back to bed, then I couldn't sleep listening for more coughing.  So I got up and had a 6 AM breakfast.  Eventually DS must have fallen asleep, so I snuck into my room to grab some running clothes without waking DH.  Did 3.1 miles in 27 minutes.  Hadn't run or done any exercise in 3 days so it felt good to sweat.  But ran with some emotional baggage so I felt slow.  Light rain with temps in 50's even at  7 am; it can't last much longer.

Old Coyote - What time of year are the ultras?  Have you done any before?  Thay always seem to be out west and very rural. I am very curious.

Degregorious - Is the lake frozen yet?  Sounds peaceful.

Melody - Congrats of the successful show!  Love the high vis red hat and gloves!

Mary Kay - Yeah for volunteers! You get to motivate and inspire a whole bunch of newbies.

Deb - Nothing motivates me like signing up for a run.  Get that iron up first!

Jeff - Did you change your name from Dilljeffrey? I don't like hills at the end of a run either.  I sometimes drive 2 miles to get to a safer (traffic wise) area.

Peterson and Leigh - Welcome! Running in winter weather is definitely a challenge!

NHLA - You are are amazing!

Weather permitting I hope to run tomorrow.  I got new running shoes and I need to try them out!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    4,526. Dec 8, 2012 8:44 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

I figured out how to send message 

thanks in advance for any info

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    4,527. Dec 8, 2012 8:47 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

last run was Friday 5.2 Km - 40:33.  Getting more and more tempted to jog/waddle vice walk.  The little remaining twinge I get from the knee reminds me to keep to the rehab plan.

weather here was great - temps in upper 40's no wind to speak off.  I started off at about 1915  (7:15 PM)  finished just before 8.

I keep waiting for winter - Thats right there is no winter here in NOVA!

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

Feb 23, 2012
    4,528. Dec 8, 2012 10:16 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.4 miles 57 min down and up Ecco Mt. misty but not cold.

Mary Kay My foot hurts so motivation is low,

mel lol grear. that should keep you warm.

fran 27 is not slow.

OC we have some nice ultras hear.

leigh I hate wearing all this stuff too.

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,529. Dec 8, 2012 11:50 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Hi all- No run today.

Francesmom, yes I changed my name from Dilljeffrey. Did a Google search of myself and the #1 and #2 results were this post! So, I figured a touch more anonimity wasnt a bad idea.

Plan to run tomorrow, then I'll attempt to clean out the furnace. Never done it before, but it stopped running tonight and the service call came to $550 for a new transformer, screen and (spout, nozzle?) The guy wasnt up for cleaning it, or maybe he was actually being contentious about the bill. Hard to tell, I wasnt home. So, it still needs to be cleaned.

Was planning on dumping $500 into a pound puppy this week. But now a little worried the pup could go to someone else. Wont get paid again till Friday. Wait and see.

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...