Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

661203 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 301 302 303 304 305 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,530. Dec 9, 2012 8:14 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

ogr44 - Saw your message; had questions. Can you reply?

Francessmom -  There are ultras all year, all over the country; although spring and fall are traditional. There's one in Virginia Beach next week, in fact. The JFK 50 miler is in DC; and I've heard of a NYC ultra. See http://www.ultrarunning.com/calendar.html

NHLA - I'd love to run in your neck of the woods. I'd definitely enjoy the deciduous forests. I like conifers, but it's like corn fields after a while. Mile after mile...

Melodylea - Trying to type this with critters on my lap - my two 5 year old tabby boys need to help write, lol!

Easy three this morning. 20 degrees, trace of new snow. I love my Balega wool socks. I dressed well for the conditions; was cold for the first 3/4 mile or so and then just cool. 36.5 miles for the week, highest since my marathon 7 weeks ago, and 4th highest weekly total overall

Run Free!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,531. Dec 9, 2012 9:41 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

12 miles 1 hr 40 min. Somebody passed me. He must not know who I am. Dang he ran fast. Not painful but close. Crushed him when we started climbing the ridge.

OC  Joice Kilmer forest is the only true virgin forest in the east. Must see.

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,532. Dec 9, 2012 11:48 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hey there everyone!!

Flew back to northern AZ, Saturday, Dec. 9th early evening, no time to run, temps drop by 20 degrees once sun sets.....too dark on the trails too.

Sunday, ran the most flat trail I know but it's still a challenge at 7,300 ft elevation when you just flew in from MN!! 

8.1 miles, slow and easy run, 1:29:40. YAY!!

Don't want to invite injury just because I'm all gung-ho about my trails again, haha!  Kept the motto in mind of:  "too much, too fast, too soon" so took it easy and slow. 

It is soooooo awesome to run my trails again, and be immersed in the elements and nature and solitude.

Spent the rest of the week in my rental car and hotels taking care of business in eastern AZ and western NM.

Decent weather and temps outside but too late to run outside each day, also too many loose dogs in these areas, and don't feel safe running alone on unfamiliar trails.

Monday:  rested.

Tuesday:  9.2 miles on TM, 1:35:20.

Wed.: rested.

Thursday: work schedule took most of the day but I got done and headed home, a 5 hours drive from NM to home in northern AZ, dark by the time I got home, so just counted it as a rest day.

Fri.:  10.1 miles on trail, 1:44:45.

Sat.:  10.2 miles on a more hilly and rocky trail, 1:58:40. Tough but loved it!!

Got call from son-in-law that daughter started having more painful contractions so I decided to head down to PHX for the weekend, to be closer to her just in case the baby arrives earlier than the due date (which I predict), and brought all my training gear to run some desert mountain trails. Will work on endurance due to much lower elevation so I know I can run longer, YAY!!

Getting ready for a 10 miler on the 16th in PHX.

Will be flying back to MN in Jan for a few weeks.

But I hope to run my 3rd marathon sometime in Feb. when I have to be back in AZ for some followup work again.

Been  reading all the posts, sorry too many to respond to but you all are such a motivation for me.

OC:  love your insight and suggestions from your experiences; from one trail runner to another, those technical scrambler/climbing trails are demanding but exhilarating at the same time!  I love them, I ran a 25k, finishing in 2:40, had to climb up from a sandy arroya to the finish line!!

Stay healthy and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Trail runner

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,533. Dec 9, 2012 2:26 PM (in response to az2mn)

Nine hours of blissful sleep last night!  Woke to soaking rain and temps in 50's.  The heavy rain tapered off after lunch.  I didn't get out until 4 PM, thinking I would break in my new Asics at the track.  Temps had dropped into the low 40's with a steady wind and drizzle.  I made it 2.25 miles before my ears ached so much I had to stop.  I forgot ear warmers!  I did wear gloves so I need to remember that if gloves are necessary so is ear protection. New shoes get 2 thumbs up!

NHLA - I am sure that guy who passed you will remember you now!

Old Coyote - Thanks for the link!  I had no idea there were so ultras!

Az2mn - Best wishes on the new grandbaby!  Awesome mileage!

Run happy!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,534. Dec 9, 2012 2:46 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Francessmom:  It hasn't been consistently cold enough for ice to form on the lake shore.  Maybe later this month.

No fartleks today: I decided to do some core work.  Save the legs for tomorrow.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,535. Dec 9, 2012 3:54 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

OC- My 3 today in the snow and cold was not 'easy'; seemed like more work than it should have been!

NHLA- love picturing you toasting that guy during the climb!  lol

AZ- you are really putting in the miles!  Jealous on the second grandchild. DW & I are waiting, 'patiently'!

Francesmom- I know what you mean about the ears, except for me it's the whole head; as you can see, there not much insulation on top.    I always wear a baseball cap when it's over about 40, and stocking cap below that.  Took my balaclava with me to run on the riverwalk in town, but wasn't snowing or windy enough to need it, so just used my blaze orange warm cap.

Just over 3 miles today during light snow, first one of the year here in southcentral WI.  This is some of what it looked like!

Baraboo River walk 011.JPG

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,536. Dec 9, 2012 6:32 PM (in response to justrundan)

MelodyLea congrats on the successful art show!  Love the cold weather running gear.

Old Coyote - I don't know, flat sounds pretty good to me.    As for socks, when it gets cold I love my Smartwool ski socks - they keep my calves nice and toasty

Francesmom - hope DS is feeling better - glad to hear you got that great night's sleep.

Ogr44 - everyone's waiting for winter but won't we all complain when it gets here!

Jeff - good luck with furnace and puppy

NHLA - passed you?  we can't have that - you are our running hero!

az - congrats on the new grandbaby and being back on your beloved trails!

Dan   -  beautiful picture! 

6.5 miles this morning - strongest run in weeks.  Not sure to what to attribute the turn-around:  better fueling?  I had cheerios and a 1/2 cup of coffee 30 mins pre-run  the iron pills kicking in?  I've been good.  better stretching?  I did some yoga this morning too.  Definitely not due to a good night's sleep. Miles 1 and 2 were at 10:40 and 10;30 respectively, and then the GPS went askew (I did not run mile 5 in 7:42 hahaha no) I also didn't run 7.30 miles total - verified 6.5 miles at overall pace of 11:06 m/m.  Included some trails around the pond - not like where I go hiking with the dog that are way to tough for me to run - these trails were not too rocky/root-y/unstable for me and my weak ankles -  I'll do these trails as often as I can.

Hopefully this bodes well for upcoming runs. 

Happy running all!

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,537. Dec 9, 2012 10:16 PM (in response to Debm2011)

INJURY???

Yeah, I know I should know if Im injured or not, but I dont.

I didnt run today, was just playing with the kids on the floor in socks, and I felt a "pop" center bottom of my foot. I was able to walk on it fine, so Ive been doing that. Tonight I feel pain when I flex my toes. (Doctor it hurts when I do this, "stop doing that").

So, not sure what this is called. Not sure what the plan should be. I may end up running, but most likely Im going with "rest it". But anyone who can elaborate- Thanks.

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

• mgrwlondon Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    4,538. Dec 10, 2012 2:45 AM (in response to JEFF CT)

Is it sprain? If it is sprain you really need to rest, apply ice  compress on the injured part for 5 minutes then elevate it.

Apr 9, 2011
    4,539. Dec 10, 2012 5:19 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Jeff - When in doubt, REST! Especially feet; they take forever to heal. Massage them, and roll a golf ball between your feet and the floor to stetch your plantar fascia. Flexing your toes is a good excercise, but maybe not right now.

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,540. Dec 10, 2012 6:29 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Melody - congratulations on your successful show!  Loved your pic,  you really look like a 'scary ninja'!

NHLA - "He must not know who I am" made me laugh.  Good thing you Showed Him!

JustRunDan - great pic, sort of looks like that around here too.

Jeff CT - +1 to OC's comments.  Feet must be taken care of!

Saturday's Jingle Bell Run was great, we had beautiful weather and all the members of my team were very nice (I had not met some of them before this).  We all tried to start close together, turns out I ran the whole race with a girl from the team who I also work with.  When we got to the finish we discovered they actually did have a timing clock running (nothing official but at least a good estimate).  Our time was either 33:28 or 33:38 I don't remember, but that's about as fast as I've ever done a 5k.  I guess running with someone does help.  Then I went back up the route to find my friend Lori and ran with her to the finish, as I have done every time we sign up for an event together.  I hope everyone else had as good a time as I did!

Sunday my friend called and had to drop out of our planned run/walk so I went on my own, planning for just a short run since I had done the race.  About a mile into it the snow began; by the time I hit mile 3 the wind picked up too so I just headed for home.  4.25 miles in the first snow to stay on the ground here.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,541. Dec 10, 2012 12:17 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 30 min running in the rain.

oshcat you rocked the jingle bell.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,542. Dec 10, 2012 4:11 PM (in response to NHLA)

Ran a decent 4 miles yesterday morning. I bought a new pair of Under Armor tights on eBay auction ($30.)! By far my favorite running tights. So warm and stretchy. Tomorrow I hope to start a streak od four runs back to back.

degregorius Save those legs.

Old Coyote **High Fives** on the sub 20 degree runnin'. "I want to run that one and volunteer at the Dirty 30 in 2013." <~ Smart move! LOVE those sweet Tabbys. Give them a rub under the chin for me.

Francessmom I hope your son feels better soon. Glad the new shoes get a thumbs up. I hate having my ears cold, so I put on a hat for temps below 50. You can always remove a hat too.

Ogr44 Smart man sticking to the rehab plan.

JEFF CT Plantar fasciitis perhaps? I concur with rest as a wise choice. I also like to ice any painful spots.

NHLA "He must not know who I am. " <~ LOL!! For sure.

az2mn Congrats on the new grand baby to be!!!

justrundan Beautiful snow!

Debm2011 Thanks. Re: art show and my Ninja gear. So happy to hear you had a strong run.

OshCat Yep, scary ninja...that's me! The Jingle Bell Run sounds wonderful.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,543. Dec 10, 2012 5:36 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Read all the posts, actually had a post Saturday night, but it disappeared just before I finished it.

Had a bad Sat. morning. Our 13-yr. old husky (Penny) had a seizure of some sort on our bedroom floor at 6 a.m. We got up and tried to help her or wake her out of it, but within a few minutes she was gone. No signs of trouble Friday or Friday night. We had her 10 years. It was tough.

Ran just 4 miles Sat. evening, didn't feel like it. Worked real late Sunday and until 6:30 tonight, and the Patriots are on, so no run today, etiher. Should be back at it tomorrow, then wife has her surgery Wed. Only working one day in the next 10, so I should have time to get in some good runs. (Unless wife needs more attention than I'm planning.)

Take care, runners.

Apr 9, 2011
    4,544. Dec 10, 2012 6:00 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

jmsab - I grieve with you. I've been exactly there, and it still hurts, and I still wouldn't trade a second of my time with that beautiful dog to avoid all the pain.

Yesterday after my run I scratch-made whole wheat buttermilk panckes and ate standing up as they came off the griddle. I had a bar set up with real butter (do I need to specify?), peanut butter, preserves, molasses, honey, and...nutella. NOTE: I am a trained professional. Signs of nutella intoxication may include a seemingly irresistable urge to consume the other half of the jar.

Decided yesterday afternoon that I was due a true rest day, streak or no. The last 9 days have all been 5K or longer, and there've 2 hard group trail runs and a road race in that time. So I did 10 minutes of step aerobics on the Nintendo wii fit, and marked it as a mile in my log. It's my log, I can do what I want. Streak continues!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...