Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1892630 Views 11,335 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 9:16 AM by BreezyB24 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 710 711 712 713 714 ... 756 Previous Next
  • Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,665. Dec 8, 2012 8:55 PM (in response to James98473)
    200+ Pound Club!

I am not big stretcher before running/waddling/walking etc.  I do loosen up ankle, knee, hips etc.  I tend to stretch after completing workout when muscles are warmer.  I've only had one bad injury and it was not warm up related  --  twisted knee in karate.  I have noted that my hip flexors are much tighter now than before injury.  I have been working on stretching them more during and post waddle. 

P.S.  @dkknaebel - done the fall in front of watchers before.  Mine was at a complete stop on my bike when I forgot to unclip from pedals....talk about embarrasing. 

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• dkknaebel Amateur 28 posts since
    Nov 29, 2012
    10,666. Dec 10, 2012 10:02 AM (in response to Ogr44)
    200+ Pound Club!

It was very embarrassing but I'm going to walk tonight and see how my wrist does with that. I'm just thankful I didn't really hurt myself

12/3/2012- Began C25K

12/7/2012-Fell and broke left wrist

2/17/2013- Back to C25K

3/2/2013 First 5K- Suncoast Classic finished in 48:59

4/6/2013- Seminole Stampede 49:17

5/25/2013- Color Me Rad- Tampa

• PeterVaritimos Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 6, 2011
    10,667. Dec 12, 2012 1:05 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi, My name is Peter and I’m 48 years old and I recently lost 109 lbs, although I gained 30 of that back.  My success has been from a few methods, first and foremost is Weight Watchers.  I couldn't have done it without this program.  Second has been exercise, from initially going to the gym on the treadmill, transitioning to weights, then what was my favorite of all, running.  I was training for a 1/2 marathon, when I was having problems with my feet getting numb, so I reluctantly (on my doctor's advice) had to stop running and try to find another exercise venue, which I found in cycling.  During my transition from running to cycling I gained some weight back, but have managed to keep it from climbing due to my cycling. I have recently seen a neuro surgeon and he prescribed some medication which has helped my feet from becoming numb.  So here I am.....I am really thinking about getting back into running, but I am very apprehensive to say the least.  I actually love cycling as much as I do running, and I am currently training to complete the PanMass Challenge which is a two day 190 mile ride.  I am up to where I do about 80-90 miles a week, so I know I'm ready for it. Two reasons I'm apprehensive about starting up running again.  1) Which is obvious, is that I'm worried about my feet and 2) I have an extra 30 lbs on me and I know how difficult it was when I 1st started. So any advice would be appreciated whether I should start running or just keep with the cycling, or both.  Thanks

• J_Garcia2k12 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 2, 2012
    10,668. Dec 12, 2012 7:32 PM (in response to Ogr44)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey, I'm not a big strech person myself. I do however do yoga to build up my hamstrings. I haven't had any injuries or grab my calves after finishing a race. I"m 34 years old, ran my first race at 300 pounds. If you go the yoga route, I would suggest to doing vinyasa yoga, youtube it or take a class and tell your instructor about your injuries.

• tomjohn777 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 13, 2012
    10,669. Dec 13, 2012 9:54 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello All, I came across this site "after" I signed up for my first 5K ever . I am 52yrs old 5'9 and 240lbs. I started a spin class @ my gym last March 278lbs then. Well at first I didn't know if I could make it thru the class, but now I go about 4 time's  a week 1 hr each and can keep up with the instructor pedal for pedal. Somehow that accomplishment gave me the idea that I could run a 5K NOPE!! not even close. After a hundred yards I am hoping a car will come along so that I can throw myself under it. I am gasping for air and painful shin splints. I just went to a running shoe store and bought a pair of Brooks Ghost. I am hoping that they will help with the shin splints. I am going to start the c25k plan today with the goal of learning to enjoy running and getting below 200lbs, Doctor's order's. ( I wish I found this 2 months ago )

O yeah, did I mention that my 5k is Sunday.

• hobbsserv Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 4, 2012
    10,670. Dec 13, 2012 7:35 PM (in response to tomjohn777)
    200+ Pound Club!

Ok, I'm not an experienced runner nor am I a doctor. But I'll be glad to share my last 4 months as a new runner well over 200lbs. I started running in hopes to improve my hiking stamina and for some reason fell in love with the idea of becoming a runner.

August i weighted In at 260lb. Threw on some old sneakers and took off. Feet hurt, hips hurt, knees hurt. So I went to a running store and got a professional analysis. Now I have my very own pair of Brooks Ghost. Fast forward a few weeks and my chins are killing me.  I began to look at every YouTube video on running, chin splints, form, etc.  That's when i began to study barefoot running. I went out and bought a pair of Vibram Five Fingers. I ran 1 mile and felt like I was floating on a cloud. NO pain in my hips, knees or chins. Wow, that was the answer. By this time I was at week 6 in my C25K. I also learned from this site to slow way down to let everything heal. So I started back on week one to give my chins a chance to heal. Made it all the way to week 8 and ran my first 5k race and turned a 29:31 chip time. And by the way I'm down to 242lb. I am still doctoring my chin splints with compression during and ice after I run. They are getting better, not worse. No other pain but sore muscles when I push my self.  The barefoot shoes do work out your calves in the beginning.  I gave away my Brooks, I'm a believer. If my work would permit, I would go barefooted to work.

• tomjohn777 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 13, 2012
    10,671. Dec 14, 2012 11:40 AM (in response to hobbsserv)
    200+ Pound Club!

I have seen those Vibrams and considered them and still might. Do you run on the road with them? Do they provide enough cushioning? I run on a combination of paved and dirt roads. I would love to have my leg pain go away It is the main thing holding me back.

• hobbsserv Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 4, 2012
    10,672. Dec 14, 2012 7:14 PM (in response to tomjohn777)
    200+ Pound Club!

If I'm off work I'm totally barefoot or wearing my VFFs. I mostly road run. I also have trail run as well. My first 5k I had to move off the shoulder a few times and it was packed gravel. It's amazing how its not as uncomfortable as you would think. It's actually more comfortable.

No there is no cushion. It's like wearing a foot glove with a thin piece of rubber under your sole.

Again, I'm no expert. I just spent a lot of time trying to figure out why I hurt and how to fix it. Lets face it we (on this thread) are 200 pounders and I do mean pounders. Running barefoot style keeps the stress off of the parts that should not have stress. As I have studied I have learned that our bodies came from the factory built to run as is. When we added cushioning we changed the biomechanics of how we are designed to run. That's where the problems start.

I know it seems foreign, but spend some time researching the subject with an open mind. It will be a revelation.

• JBrian65 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 23, 2009
    10,673. Dec 15, 2012 6:27 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi,

Followed a link here from Active and found it great and wanted to chime in. I'm a 47 year old, 6'2" 282 pounder that has been running for several years now in an effort to get healthier and try to get leaner - with limited success at both. I've competed in several 5k's after following a C25k app program and had my best finish at the Atlanta Kaiser Corporate 5k this past September @ 38:45, the followed that up the following Saturday at another local one with a 37 minute 5k. With two boys under 5, my motivation is to get healthier and live longer and better for them. I currently have High Blood Pressure and Diabetes which I was hoping could be eliminated with running, but am still struggling. I picked up running a few years back because it gives me a great way to reduce stress and unwind plus push myself. Walking turns to strolling and biking turns to coasting, but running is running. Thanks for the post and a place I can share with fellow 200+er's

Brian Smith

Loganville, Ga

• dmstrong Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 5, 2012
    10,674. Dec 19, 2012 2:06 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi All,

I'm new to the web site and this group.  I thought I would share my success story with those that might be struggling or questioning if it's worth it.  A little bit about myself first.  I've always been on the heavy / stocky side.  I'm 48, when I got out of the Air Force 29 years ago I weighed 190 pounds on my 5'10" frame, smoked 2 packs a day and was never a guy that liked to work out and definately never wanted to run.  Over the next 20+ years my weight bloomed to 270 pounds but at least I stopped smoking.  I knew I wasn't the picture of health but didn't consider myself lazy and thought I ate pretty good but I ate for all the wrong reasons and ate too much because of it.  Reality set in about 6 years ago when I had two stents put into my heart.  The good news was I didn't have a heart attack but it was scary for sure.  I have two beutiful daughters and the thought of not seeing them grow up was sobering.  You would have thought that would have woken me up to getting healthy but it didn't.  I ate better but still didn't move.  Three years ago I went through a pretty nasty divorce after 22 years of marriage.  My ex decided things were greener on the other side and decided to go find out for herself.  My girls chose to live with me and we set up a new home and started living again.  About the time the divorce was finalized I actually started dating a woman that was the picture of health.  She ate right, exercised regularly and most importantly ran...like marathon ran.  I had started going to the gym and using the eliptical trainier convincing myself that I was on the road to perfect health...that was wrong though because I still wasn't eating properly and the weight just wouldn't come off.  One day I saw a picture of myself and my girlfriend...I have to admit I was emabarrased by what I saw.  She was in such good shape and I was just a fat slug of a man, it wasn't pretty.  I decided that it was time to change things up.  I started paying attention to what I ate and exercised with a renewed interest.  Most importantly I started running.  I thought there would be two benefits to that.  1. It was something I could share with my girlfriend and 2. It would be good for me.  Well about 6 months later we broke up but I kept running.  I'm proud to say that two years later I'm still running (and loving it) and have lost over 70 pounds getting down to 200 pounds even while at the same time loosing 6 inches around my waist and generally feeling much better...I have more energy, more confidence and feeling good about myself for the first time in a long time.  I set a goal this year of running 600 miles which I did.  I ran numerous 5K races, a couple of 10Ks, two 10 mile races and most recently my first 1/2 marathon (2 hours 2 minutes 21 seconds).  I never thought I would run a half and now can't wait to run another one to get under 2 hours.  Added benefits to this is my cardiologist considers me an ideal cardiac patient.  My coloesterol is down to healthy levels, my weight is good, blood pressure is great and most importantly my resting heart rate is a cool 44...not bad considering where I came from three years ago.

So keep it up...it takes a change in your mindset to do it but you can.  I'm not a goal setter but it does help to have one.  Embrace those days when you run and appreciate the fact that you can.  You will be amazed at what the success can do for your self confidence, appearance and overall health and well being.  Many people ask me what I did to shed the weight and I give them a real simple answer...Eat less and do more.

Good luck!

Doug

May 24, 2008
    10,675. Dec 19, 2012 6:52 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hope all have been doing well - I flirted with the ever elusive 220 mark this weekend  --  Flu helped!  Now that I'm feeling better I did not manage to keep the near instantanious wieght loss...and am back around 225.  One thing that helped was I used the sports drink tablets I use  (nuun I think - lemon/lime)  highly diluted (4x H2o to tablet ratio) to help keep hydrated.  Made a big difference once I got thru the initial elimiation phase...

Just having the water bottle handy and taking one sip  then another...good thing was flu passed quickly and I was back out waddling on monday  -- very sedate pace 5.3k /43 min.  still feel some minor side effects as system gets rebalanced.  i really wanted to take pic of the scale when the needle was hovering by 220....

Have safe and happy holiday season Merry Christmas and Happy New year or other politically incorrect seasonal greeting of your choice!

May 24, 2008
    10,676. Dec 19, 2012 6:59 PM (in response to hobbsserv)
    200+ Pound Club!

I will add that while I don't use the VFF  --  I cannot get them to fit right in one size; I do use a minimal shoe as well.  Little more padding than the VFF but more traditional in toe box.  I made switch going on two years ago and love it.  I'll wear my old running shoes now and they feel like my old flight boots  (not that bad but noticeable).  I cross train Karate and am pretty much bear foot (or sock) when at home.  I have not had any running related issues since I switched  --  I did jack up my knee in karate this spring and have greater empathy now when I hear that someone has sprained a knee.  been 6+ month long road back to pain free walking let alone running etc.  I've just started to push pace past fast walk  (for me that is 12 min/miles)  and hope to finish the year on a upward swing.

the right shoes make a difference especially for those of us on the upper end of the scale.

• mountainrunnerkaren Rookie 10 posts since
    Jun 11, 2006
    10,677. Dec 19, 2012 7:25 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Good for you.

I am a 180 lb female, so I feel I qualify.

This number should soon be changing, as I return to running after recovering from an injury and gaining lots of weight

• Funat50 Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    10,678. Dec 20, 2012 4:14 AM (in response to dkknaebel)
    200+ Pound Club!

Keep at it. I spent 2weeks on week one. Couldn't run 1:30 without stopping at 1st. Last Saturday I ran25 min. Nonstop and it was a huge rush. I have been doing c25k since late Sept. and I am just now on week 7, but I have not missed running my 3 days a week yet. Just repeat weeks you need to and advance when you feel ready. Down 23lbs, and feeling the best I have in years. Wish I had done this sooner.

• dkknaebel Amateur 28 posts since
    Nov 29, 2012
    10,679. Dec 20, 2012 7:04 AM (in response to Funat50)
    200+ Pound Club!

I'm out for running for a bit. When I fell on 12/7, they discovered I fractured my wrist. My ortho said it took a lot of force to do it, so I told him I was running really fast. LOL

12/3/2012- Began C25K

12/7/2012-Fell and broke left wrist

2/17/2013- Back to C25K

3/2/2013 First 5K- Suncoast Classic finished in 48:59

4/6/2013- Seminole Stampede 49:17

5/25/2013- Color Me Rad- Tampa

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...