Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

731998 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 302 303 304 305 306 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,545. Dec 10, 2012 6:21 PM (in response to jmsab23)
    My last run was...how was yours?

jmsab - condolences on the loss of Penny.  <hugs>     

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,546. Dec 10, 2012 7:04 PM (in response to justrundan)

justrundan: Beautiful picture.  Here in Chicago no snow stuck to the ground.  Oh well, there's still time. 

Took the bus to the Lakefront trail and ran from Irving Park to somewhere South of McCormick Place. 

On that area there is a stand of trees and bushes set aside as a bird sanctuary.  Today: one crow, one half, the usual bunch of Canada Geese laying down an "obstacle course" for the runners, if you know what I mean.  I'll have to get down there in the Summer to see more ornothological diversity.

Didn't make it back to Irving Park.  Stopped at Grand Ave., and had a chilly walk to the Grand & Milwaukee Blue line station.

Total miles, including walk= 12.5.

Yes the legs get a rest tomorrow. 

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,547. Dec 11, 2012 5:42 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Jmsab - so sorry for your loss

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

Nov 27, 2010
    4,548. Dec 11, 2012 5:51 AM (in response to jmsab23)

jmsab23  Ow.  Sorry for your loss.

Nov 27, 2010
    4,549. Dec 11, 2012 5:54 AM (in response to justrundan)

As a contrast to justrundan's photo, I heard this stat: Chicago has gone 283 days without measurable snow.  That is, stuff that sticks to the gound.  I saw a few flakes in the air, but that's it.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,550. Dec 11, 2012 6:54 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7 miles 57 min. Champion Hills. Great day.

Sorry jimsab

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,551. Dec 11, 2012 9:59 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

degreg - Nice sightseeing trip. I'd so run that if I were in Chicago.

NHLA - do you run through the golf courses?

16 degrees this morningcoldweather.JPG

Light snow 1sttracksbefore-crop.jpeg

First tracks in my MT10s firdttracksafter-crop.JPG

Clear Creek in winter ClearCreek12-10-12.jpg

Went for a 5 mile photo run. I did fartleks, mixing up my pace and stopping often for pictures. I have photos of a lion track on the ice , will post later.I traced her (probably) backtrail to a tree overlooking someone's backyard...Don't let your small dogs out alone. It was 16 degrees when I left, but the sun was fierce, so IR heating made me overdressed. 28 degrees when I got back, little over an hour later.

Run Free!

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,552. Dec 11, 2012 10:36 AM (in response to Old Coyote)

Jmsab - So sorry to hear about your dog. I hugged mine extra today.

Five miles in 43 minutes - pace of 8:29. I ran to the Delaware River again today. Was thinking about all of you that have gorgeous scenery to run through. I was feeling jealous as I ran passed the now defunct SUNOCO Refinery, soon to be a natural gas depot. But I realized I get to experience alot of interesting things on this run to the river: I cross over I-95 twice, cross over the Northeast Corridor Amtrak tracks twice where I often see the high speed Acela trains whizzing by, I pass 3 town squares with clocks, at the river I see historic ice breaks from 1874, a historic church and graveyard with remains of soldiers from every war in which Americans were involved beginning with the Amer Revolution, I pass 3 elememtary schools, a lumber yard that smells of sawdust, two parks and best of all, a seafood shop that always smells like fresh steamed Maryland blue crabs (YUM!). Here are some pics-

Attachments:

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,553. Dec 11, 2012 1:31 PM (in response to jmsab23)

jmsab23:

Sooo sorry about your loss,   Running can be a lifesaver, but it also makes you think of the loss during the run.  I do much of my thinking when I run.  Cherish the time. You have a lot going on.  Can relate to that.  Time management and staying discipline to your training schedule can be chaotic but take it one day at a time, one training run at a time.  Again, my sympathy to your family.

Melody:  wow! soooo impressed on your training runs in the cold!!  I'm sitting pretty in PHX where it's considered 'freezing temps' when it gets below 60 degrees!!!  Poor Phoenicians!! haha!! 

OC:  I have been wanting to try Nutella since I really love PBJ before my runs and for my recoveries.  I am one of those who does eat a banana and drink Gatorade and/or water before my training runs and races especially when I have to run longer than 8 miles.  It seems that once I get passed 8 miles, I tend to go for "another mile" then challenge myself to run "one more" and might as well "run 10" ...... so I do need to eat prior but I just take water mixture with HEED or Perpetum (hammergel products) for runs longer than 10 miles on the trail. Trails become more demanding so I need the fuel and food the longer the distance.

Anyway, false alarm on the arrival of second grandbaby on Saturday night.  So still in Phoenix, would rather train on my trails at 7,000+ elevation at home but I need to stay near my daughter just in case.  Love spending time with granddaughter and we have been taking walks nearby. 

Ran 4 miles on mt trail with a steady incline from the start for almost a mile, then rest was rocky, dirt, and good up and down trail, made it!!  Got dark so got off mt trail and ran 2 miles on paved road in the neighborhood, ugh!!!  Worked on speed and legs are feeling them today; good hurt though!! 

Trail runner

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,554. Dec 11, 2012 1:45 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Francessmom:

WAY TO GO!!  awesome time in your 5 miles!! great pics too!!

Trail runner

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,555. Dec 11, 2012 3:08 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

JMSab, so sorry about Penny.

Love everyone's pictures! They make it so much easier to imagine your runs.

3.2 on TM. Nothing special except that I was able to do it so chest must be clearing. I couldn't tell for all the coughing and Mucinex. Thanks OC for the Pre-race run suggestion. At least I'm sure I'll finish.

Run strong and safe!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,556. Dec 11, 2012 6:22 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Thank you all for the condolences. Penny was a loving, good dog.

Ran 5 miles tonight after one set of weights and core exercises. Could have pushed harder, but I'm doing a speed workout tomorrow, so ran a solid 35:42 for the 5 miles.

Wife's surgery has been postponed, as she has some sort of virus. Right now she's at the local First Care clinic to see what they think it is. Her surgeon said to call him in the morning to see what they say tonight and discuss a new date. All her paperwork -- disability, sick time, leave of absence, my paperwork for days off to stay with her and/or drive her around, etc. all wasted for now.

Coyote..... They make snowshoes for trails in the winter.

Francessmom.....Great pics. Those geese were in my pond four weeks ago!!!

Az2Mn..... Sounds like a tough trail run, but then again, any trail run sounds tough to me. Especially when they look like Coyote's trail, with snow on them. I want to see what I'm stepping on!!

Degreg..... Nice total mileage -- 12.5! Check the bottoms of the sneakers before boarding the bus, please.

Run like you're trying to catch Santa, people!!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,557. Dec 11, 2012 6:44 PM (in response to mkayc)

Ran a decent 4 miles this morning, although I didn't quite fuel enough before and I have run out of Hammer Gels. So I flagged a bit half way through. Hit my "reserve tank" though, and finished strong.

jmsab23 I am SO sorry for your loss. Warm ((hugs)) I'm giving my dog an extra hug tonight, too.

Old Coyote So funny about your Nutella pancakes!! Rest is GOOD. Loved your take on Ninja runner and gorgeous pics.

degregorius That's a nice long run! Funny re: "Canada Geese laying down an "obstacle course" for the runners"

NHLA **High Fives** as you fly past me.

Francessmom That's a nice speedy run and thanks for the visual tour!

az2mn Thanks. Re: cold weather running. I really don't have a lot of choice, so I make the most of it. I'm the same way, I often add on miles if feeling up to it and can turn a 5 miler into an 8 or 10. I've been carrying Hammer gels "just in case". That has been a life saver on occasion.

mkayc Sounds like you may be healing!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,558. Dec 11, 2012 7:17 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

OldCoyote - you're giving MelodyLea a run for her "dressed like a ninja" money!  Looks toasty.  Beautiful country - I love how the snow sparkles in the sun.

Francesmom - niced 5 miles!  Loved the pix too - the sight of the ship on the river brought me back.   I was a little more inland, but with cousins in south Jersey, we crossed the river constantly.  I even remember the ferries before the Barry Bridge was built.    It may not be the country, but you have some interesting sights to behold on your run through the city!

az - good luck when your daughter finally "decides" to have that grandbaby, but in the meantime have a great time with granddaughter #1.   Enjoy the warmth of Phoenix as long as you can.

jmsab - continued prayers for you and Penny.  Re:  surgery postponement:    So frustrating!  Not that anyone looks forward to surgery, but still, . . . . getting sidelined at the last minute must be aggravating.   I hope your wife is feeling better soon.

MelodyLea - "Hit my "reserve tank" though, and finished strong." --- that's all you need to do. 

Super strong 3.2 miles today - the hardest part was getting out of bed.  Love running through the Town Common with the Christmas lights lit. Such a beautiful sight  - even with the big pine tree in the center missing (lost her to Sandy).

Happy running all.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,559. Dec 12, 2012 7:36 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

francessmom - I love fresh seafood. Never had fresh Blue Crab, but I can imagine.

AZ2MN - Enjoy the warm weather, and glad the baby decided to wait.

MaryKay - Be sure to stay hydrated with all the snot.

jmsab - Good luck on the speed day. It'll prepare you for the "hurry up and wait" of the doctors.

MelodyLea - I have a black running jacket, too. I was wearing it this morning as I ninja'd up behind several walkers. They never heard me coming. The dogs did, though.

DebM - Our towns are too young to have a commons. Closest thing is Civic Center Park in downtown Denver. But we DO have a lot of dedicated open space.

4.2 easy miles this morning at dawn, 27 degrees. Not bad at all. I ran around Crown Hill Lake twice. The parks department is tearing up and replacing sections of concrete that look perfectly fine to me, I guess they have money "left over" that they "have to spend". They never thought of returning it to the taxpayers, if they don't need it?

Nutella: Nutella is not a low-calorie food. It is fat mixed with sugar (no wonder it tastes so good!). But if you stay with the correct serving size, it's a helpful part of an endurance athlete's table. This summer I would spread peanut butter and nutella on a whole wheat tortilla, roll it, freeze it, and take it on the trail with me for a perfect combination of sugars, fats, and protein. Note, use tortillas, not "wraps". Wraps are what desparate housewives eat after having their nails done. Tortillas are FOOD. Or, as we called it when I was growing up, silverware

Run Free!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...