Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1469 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2012 4:20 PM by PaintingLady RSS
charnie1958 Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 11, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 11, 2012 10:12 AM

Over 50, Overweight, Overwhelmed!

Just finished my first day of week one C25k....must say am very discouraged.  I'm over 50, overweight and have fibromyalgia.  I'm really hoping that starting (and finishing) C25k will help my symptoms associated with my fibromyalgia.  I've had it with the chronic fatigue and pain!  I've had it with the side effects of the meds!  REALLY want this to work! I've got my 16 year old daughter and my 33 year old daughter doing the program with me.  Anybody out there with fibromyalgia doing this program?  Any words of advice?

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    1. Nov 11, 2012 8:49 PM (in response to charnie1958)

I don't have fibromyalgia, but I do have two autoimmune diseases, both of which cause fatigue and joint pain.  I also have a progressive lung disease, as well as asthma, and I have been on steroids for years.  So while I don't know exactly what you're going through, I have experienced some of the same things that are frustrating you.  

You don't say how overweight you are.  If your weight is really an issue for you, I would recommend Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman.  You might be able to find it at your local library.

Get lots of rest.  In the beginning of C25K I had to take naps on the days I would run.  I also didn't exercise at all on the days I didn't run.  If I had I would have been so exhausted I would have quit the C25K program.  Now that I am at the end of the nine weeks I feel strong enough that I can add in some additional exercise on my non-running days. 

Drink plenty of water.  Dehydration exacerbates fatigue.    

Accept that you may have to modify the program.  Perhaps you will need to cut the increases of time or distance in half, so it may take you 18 weeks to finish the program.  It doesn't matter how long it takes; it only matters that you are improving your health.

Good luck!

• Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009
    2. Nov 21, 2012 3:02 AM (in response to charnie1958)

First of all congrats to you for making the effort to start training. Thats a big step and you should be proud of yourself. I think the biggest thing for you at this point is just start slowly. As the previous poster said you can always improvise. Start out doing a minimal amount of exercise a day (say 5 minutes) so your body gets used to it. Gradually you will develop a routine.  I started exercising 5 years ago at age 47 lost 60 pounds and have stayed with it.  I have severe allergies and asthma both have improved significantly from exercising. Good luck!!!

-Bill

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    3. Dec 12, 2012 4:20 PM (in response to charnie1958)

It is one month since your initial post. I hope you are still following the C25K program, if so, you are almost half thru!!! If not, start all over again and stick with it. You will never regret it. There are so many success stories here....I hope your's will be one of them. Keep us posted of your progress.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points