Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

644312 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 303 304 305 306 307 ... 327 Previous Next
  • MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,560. Dec 12, 2012 8:03 AM (in response to Old Coyote)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Ran a decent 5 miles this morning. Chilly, at 20 degrees, but beautiful, sunny and glittery-frosty. I realized why I had low energy in my last few runs; I'm cutting back again on carbs, trying to get below 20% body fat (nearly there). I already eat fairly low carb and Plaeo (no wheat, sugar or dairy). As I recall it took a while to adjust to low carb and "train" my body to burn fat instead of carbs. If that's the case, I just have to be patient and persevere if I want to trim up and slim down.   This weeks goal: 4 runs back to back...two down!

Debm2011 Thanks, hun! Re: "Reserve tank" "Super strong 3.2 miles today" <~ I like the sound of that! I love the holiday lights here too, it is SO old world New England-y

Old Coyote "... I ninja'd up " <~ LOL! You and me, babe...suit up, Ninja up, and get 'er done!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,561. Dec 12, 2012 8:44 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 26 min. That hurt.

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,562. Dec 12, 2012 9:06 AM (in response to Old Coyote)

OC:  YOU watch 'Desperate Housewives?!?"  would never have guessed?!?!    Thanks for the info on Nutella.  I love Denver in winter. Can't remember the neighborhood we lived in (I will at 3 am!!) but it was 17th/Monaco area, about 4 miles east of the city park, so I ran to the park, around the park, and back.  Didn't have a 'garmin' then but I would say it was about 9/10 miles??  I ran mostly 10ks and a few HMs then as I had less time due to a more hectic work schedule in comparison to the current one: travelling from CO to NM to AZ to ND to CA, and raising 2 kids, and working on my graduate degree, whew!!  Makes my running a 'cake walk' now that I think about it, haha!! 

Melody:  you and OC are die-hards, hard-core to be running in such cold temps!!  I have cold weather running gear but maybe if I get some NEW ones ........ been thinking about your gore-tex jacket you mentioned .......... we ride snowmobiles in ND (in storage at hubby's parents) so we are use to snow, cold conditions but I know running on snow covered trails takes extreme caution with every step.  I had to when I was training for a January marathon, I was out there on the snow, icy, slush trails at 7,500 + elevation, in the wind but sunny days.  I told myself then that I will be smarter on picking a date for my next marathon!!!!  I give you both high fives for your determination and persistence, WOW!! 

mkay:  YAY!!! way to go!! glad you're feeling better!!

msab:  wishing your wife a speedy recovery ........ and a successful operation .......and another speedy recovery.  Impressive run on your part, helps to cope with life interruptions.

Was gonna run a 10 mile on trail but had to take my car in for a new starter, and wait for daughter to get back from work as I was also have babysitter duty, then had to get my car at 4:30 pm, got caught in traffic jam which turned out to be a 5 car collision by the exit to freeway!!  By the time I got home, it was tooooo dark and I COULD NOT get my body and mind to run in the neighborhood on paved road, ugh!! and ouch!! and boring, and scary!!  Too many people racing for the nearest take outs or shopping!! 

So, definitely plan on running later today when daughter comes home ...............

Run safe everyone!!

Trail runner

• jane1224 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 12, 2012
    4,563. Dec 12, 2012 2:42 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My last run was rough.  I am trying to get back into it, so I only got in 2 miles.  Trying to get back in shape!!

I love being healthy and Lymphatonic Herbs Etc.!

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,564. Dec 12, 2012 7:40 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Did the speed workout on the TM today, after an afternoon bike ride that I should have started earlier in the day. It was brisk, but I wanted to get at least one more ride in this year, so I did about 5 miles. Still getting used to the bike -- not enough riding yet.

Ran a full ladder (200, 400, 800, 1200, mile, 1200, 800, 400, 200), all 9.0 or above, including a 9.4 mph mile. I wanted to increase the mile pace each week, so I did it, although I was asking myself WHY I was doing it at the time.

NHLA..... Holy speed demon, NHLA Man, that was some 4-mile pace!!!

Jane1224.... Welcome!! When I was a teenager, my friend kept trying to quit smoking, and I laughed at his efforts one time at his house. His father looked at me and said," Well, the important thing is he keeps trying." He quit for good a while later.

Melody.... Nice 5 miles. Two down, two to go. Make it happen.

12/12/12 concert for Sandy Relief -- award from this judge goes to Roger Waters.

Feb 23, 2012
    4,565. Dec 13, 2012 7:54 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 27 min.

jinsab did you get a road bike or offroad?

Never increase speed and distance at the same time,

Welcome jane

Mel 20% is perty low. You will get there,

Aug 19, 2011
    4,566. Dec 13, 2012 10:30 AM (in response to NHLA)

I got a used Scott road bike, a 2012 model. It's very light and goes faster than I remember bikes going when I was a kid. I haven't done a thing with a bike since 1974, I think. It's so light it's kind of shaky. Or I'm kind of shaky -- not sure which.

Aug 19, 2011
    4,567. Dec 13, 2012 10:34 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

Melody .... I was rough-tested at a health fair in October. My BMI was 24.1, and my fat percentage was just above 18%. The health coach said bring the papers to my doctor when I go for my physical at the end of the year, and I said, "Damn straight I will!"

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,568. Dec 13, 2012 1:41 PM (in response to jmsab23)

Mel, % body fat on men and women is not comparable. 25% sounds like a perfect goal. It can't be easy running without carbs. I can certainly feel it when my body is out of glycogen and it's not comfortable. "Suit up, Ninja up, and get 'er done!" <= sounds impressive!!

NHLA, you are at a 6+ mm pace? on trails? Just amazing!!!

JMsab, So sorry about DW's trials with surgery. Sounds so frustrating!! Hope her procedure is completely successful and receover swift! 18% body fat and a BMI of 24 is great!! You haven't been on a bike since 1974? That gives me hope. I was going to buy one and thought, "I haven't used a bike in 30 yrs so what makes me think I'll use it now?" and didn't. I've regretting it. 

Deb, I can picture your run through the commons seeing the Christmas lights. Sounds dreamy! There are benefits to living near historic areas in the NE.

OC, thank you very much for your concern. I'd prefer to hydrate with water though and save the snot for the Kleenex. Love nutella and PB on whole wheat toast for breakfast! It's pretty, too. Why freeze it? It's not going to spoil in the heat?

Off to the gym for an easy 3 mi on the TM. I am coming back but still coughing a lot. Had two beers this afternoon for the first time since probably last New Years so this might be interersting. Splat! Ah, well. One thing I know is how to get back up. Poor friend pulled calf on R leg on Sat. This has been ongoing since Oct. 10th. Injure calf, heal, repeat on other calf. He finally agree to see my PT guy who is infinitely better than the others but guy could find nothing physiologically wrong with his frame or gait or musculature. I told him I thought he needed a sports psychologist a while back and he stopped talking to me for a couple of weeks. I firmly believe in the mind body link and this person seems to be in denial about some emotional stuff. It's so hard to watch someone you care about flounder when you know they are trying really hard to excel and can be successful.

Run fierce and (as Mel would say) finish strong!   

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,569. Dec 13, 2012 3:58 PM (in response to mkayc)

OldCoyote - mmmmmm Nutella.  I'm with you on the tortilla vs. wrap front.  We took Nutella and PB with crackers (with other items) as our trail lunch when we did the 6 hour hike in the White Mountains last Sept.  The chipmunks were getting very crafty trying to steal it at the waterfall. 

MelodyLea - good luck with the weight/fat loss!  I'm back on Weight Watchers - it worked before, I fell off the wagon, and now I'm 10 ok 10+ lbs heavier than I want to be.  More veggies fewer cookies.  2 more runs for your 4 run streak?  Go girl go!

NHLA - wow just . . . wow

jmsab - I use the expresso bike at the Y a  couple times a week.  Riding a bike on the road makes me nervous in the suburbs so it sits in the garage.  Fast workout on the TM!

az - oh I have days like that!   

jane1224 - welcome!  remember slow and steady is a great way to start.  You will get there.

MaryKay - sounds like you're feeling a lot better!  But I don't think I"d run after 2 beers.  Nap, yes.  

I don't think I want to know my fat percentage!  Some things are better as mysteries.

Cold this morning - 28 degrees with glittery frost on everything.  I  needed the first half mile to warm up and get my lungs used to the cold again, and then stopped to stretch my calves  for about a minute.  Felt super strong after that!   Mile 2 flew by, and mile 3 got off to a great start!  And then . . . . SPLAT.  I went to cross the street, decided on a driveway curb cut so I wouldn't have to go over the curb, and my foot must have caught some uneven pavement because down I went, face first into the street (no cars at 6:00 am).  Right hand, right elbow, right knee, left knee.  I heard the clunk. I'm surprised I didn't wake any one up with the shout I made.  OUCH  There might have been some swearing too.   Sat on someone's steps for about 5 minutes and took stock.  I decided to turn back for home. Walked for about 1/2  mile and decided there was no permanent damage and I was running very late so I carefully  jogged the rest of the way.  Total of 4.1 miles.  Everything is good except a goose egg on my left knee that is fortunately getting smaller as the day goes on.  Iced at work will continue tonight and reassess in the morning.  Damn, I hate the dark. 

Run strong everyone and watch where you're going!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,570. Dec 13, 2012 4:16 PM (in response to Debm2011)

I ran a strong 3.5 mile run in the 20 degrees crystal-clear-glittery New England morning. My goal this week is to run 4 times back to back...three down one to go!

NHLA Zoom-zoom!! Thanks, re: 20%

az2mn Thanks, re running in the chill. Your day sounds like a "comedy" of errors and craziness! I hope today's run went well.

jane1224 Welcome and keep at it!

jmsab23 What a great ride. I'd be a little shakely, flying down the road on your bike at this point too! lol 18% *Whoot* High fivers, Mr.

mkayc I'm at 20% body fat now and would like to sneak down just a smidge to be in the "athlete" category. So glad to hear you coming back around after that nasty chest cold. Bummer about your friend.

Debm2011 We must be near each other on the globe, because you morning sounded just like mine: "...glittery frost on everything" Oh, man HUGE bummer about the fall. Glad there doesn't seem to be any permanent damage. Damn. I hope your next run is smooth sailing.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

Aug 19, 2011
    4,571. Dec 13, 2012 6:12 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran a 5-mile progressive run tonight on the TM, 36:05. The first 3 miles were getting to me, but I did what Melody would've done -- Got 'er done!

Just came in from stargazing with the wife for about 3/4 hour, watching the meteor "shower." DW said it was more like a meteor "trickle," but we saw about 8 or 9. They're fast -- you have to be quick with the eyes to see them, but I still think NHLA could catch some of them.

Debm..... Sure hope that egg goes down. Bad things I don't like about your run: 6 a.m. (uh-uh!!) and 28 degrees. No way. WAAaaayy too early AND too cold for me. I'd have taken a few spills, too.

Melody.... nice roll you're on!!

mkayc.... Yeah, today's bikes aren't built the same. I think if I run over a small animal or something with my bike, with these tires I'd probably cut it in half. They're about 1/2 inch wide, it seems.

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,572. Dec 13, 2012 7:00 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

Old Coyote: nice photos of the white stuff. What's that word?  [CONSULTS DICTIONARY]

Anyway

[NEWSMAN VOICE] Day 285 of Snow: Held Hostage!  [/NEWSMAN VOICE]

Not cold enough to really bundle up the way Old Coyote did.  On the other hand, I didn't wear shorts when I ran 7.41 miles this evening.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,573. Dec 13, 2012 7:52 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

MelodyLea - nice 5 in the glitter

NHLA - "Doc it hurts when I do this"

AZ2MN - A day I'm too busy to run is a day I'm too busy. Sigh. It happens.

Jane - Welcome! 2 miles is great

jmsab - you're a bit of a speedster y'self.

marykay - Glad you're recovering. I freeze the PB and nutella because it keeps its texture better. I'm a food snob

DebM  - Ouch! best of luck with that goose egg!

degregorius - Good mileage, friend

Hey, kids! Who wants to run down a steep and rocky trail at night? That could be snowy or icy; we're not sure. Come on, it'll be a blast!

A steep and technical 55 or so minutes with a group after sunset tonight. We started at Red Rocks ampitheater and ran through Red Rocks park into Matthews-Winters Park and back. Or so I'm told, I'm unfamiliar with the trails. I spent the night chasing 2 people that are in the lottery for the Hardrock 100 this year, and they can really kick it in the dark. I did pretty good - had to walk a LOT of the uphills, but stayed close enough I could catch them again easily on the flats. Did about 4.5 miles, I guess.

Took a spill, landing on my right hand and knee and in daytime I would have stopped to investigate my injuries, but in the dark with the lights of my group disappearing ahead of me I just made sure there were no dangling limbs and took off .There was a group behind me, but I didn't want to wait for them. Within a couple of hundred yards my knee felt good again. Until, that is, I got out of the car after I got home and it wouldn't straighten. Ugh! Ice on it. I know it's not serious because I ran with zero pain, bit it looks nasty now!

Run fierce, fearless, and free!

Feb 23, 2012
    4,574. Dec 13, 2012 8:10 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...