Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

304 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2012 1:09 PM by SoftballSmarts
SoftballSmarts Legend 424 posts since
Oct 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 14, 2012 1:09 PM

12 Traits of a Champion Athlete and Team

Whenever I coach or watch nearly any sporting event I am reminded of just how slim the difference between winning and losing really is in athletics.

In most every game played between two fairly evenly matched teams or players success or failure will come down to just a hand full of plays, right? The team or athlete that makes the plays, executes the best wins don't they? If you follow any larger tournament bracket you will find that the deeper the bracket goes the closer and lower scoring the games all get. Why is that?

Teams and athletes that win consistently do certain things that teams and athletes who don't win consistently do not. This is true in every sport for it is always the little things that capture or cost victory.

Let's look closer at what defines a champion with specific traits that can be learned then duplicated by your athlete and their team.

Here are the 12 traits of a championship level athlete or team:

1. Attitude - Championship caliber teams have a swagger about them, an expectancy that they will play well. These type teams literally exude an energy of success. They have a "can do" attitude from the moment they get up in the morning!

2. Confidence - Along with the champion's swagger comes extreme confidence; almost cocky but never arrogant. Regardless of the score these teams never stop competing as they are supremely confident they will prevail when the game is over. They trust themselves to make plays, and never hesitate for fear of making a mistake.

3. Relaxed - Along with confidence comes the ability to play the game relaxed.The more relaxed the less chance for mistakes or poor execution on the court or in the field. A relaxed mental state is the result of an expectancy forsuccess.

To continue reading the remaining "9 Traits of a Champion" please go to: http://winnersedgekids.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-12-traits-of-champion-athlete-team.html.

Thanks for reading, and happy holidays!

--John Kelly, John Michael Kelly Sports

Boost your athlete's game day confidence fast with the Sports Confidence Blueprint program!

For more FREE mental game tips and strategies visit me at: Softball Smarts or my Facebook page.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...