Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

731546 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 304 305 306 307 308 ... 327 Previous Next
  • MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,575. Dec 14, 2012 6:01 AM (in response to NHLA)
    My last run was...how was yours?

jmsab23 **High Fives** On that "Got 'er done"!! Oh, yeah.

degregorius LOL, re: "S-N-O-W". No shorts?!

Old Coyote You are SO TOUGH!! Man...amazing night run with falls and still toughin' it out. Wow.

NHLA Cant wait to see that 5K time for tomorrow!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,576. Dec 14, 2012 9:41 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA - That's the price I want to pay for a 5K. The one I signed up for in January is 20 bucks - not bad. 40 if you want a shirt.

MelodyLea - Not so tough, just scared of the dark.

Knee is pretty colors of purple and black, like the Colorado Rockies road uniforms, but it's all superficial. Well, mostly. It feels great when I'm moving.

Nice, easy 5.25 miles this morning. I forgot my watch. That's very liberating. I ran at a 10:00 effort, and enjoyed myself. Overcast, 35 degrees, not overly chilly

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,577. Dec 14, 2012 1:59 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Wed.: 10.2 miles total; 1:58  ~ 8.5 miles of desert mt rocky trail nearby, twice around the mt, running up the incline which is about a mile, passed two guys in their 30s, the second one was pretty upset that I caught up with him and he had to let me pass:  priceless!!!  This is from the start of the trail so (not to sound egotistical or snobbish), I was NOT going THAT FAST.  Anyway, started slowing down as it got darker, finally had to get off the trail completely to avoid a similar OC mishap (bummer!! that hurts), and finish the last couple of miles on a GROOMED dirt trail along a canal behind a neighborhood.

I have a cap with LED lights but left it in MN.  Would have been great to try it out on the trail.  But I try to avoid running on rocky trails at night, too risky.  Hitting dirt and rocks on a trail during DAYLIGHT is bad enough,

Anyway, got home and didn't feel good but thought it might be the change of temps after sunset, getting a bit cooler due to impending rain, the wind picked up a bit, and my top was wet with sweat. By the time I finished showering, I was shivering and every part of my body was aching!!!  ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?  Why do I get this way just days before my races?!?!

Tried to eat a whole PBJ sandwich, but manage to drink my chocolate soymilk, some ice water, and finally some hot OJ/cider.  Felt more miserable and finally gave in to some Advil and went to bed.  Miserable night!

Thursday: forced myself out of bed and accompanied my daughter on a couple of errands.  Came home and took a nap with the grandbaby.  I normally don't take naps unless I am this miserable.  I was hoping to feel better and run about 8 miles before the rain but didn't make it!  It rained for about 5 hours into the night. Couldn't eat much either except toast, drank water mostly.  Stomach felt awful, acidic, crampy! No fever or aches elsewhere though.

Another lousy night!

This morning, felt a little better after suddenly throwing up while brushing my teeth ........... EEWWW!!

Stomach still quesy and still not eating much except for toast.

Thank goodness, I only have conference calls for my work, no travel. 

Decided to just rest until my 10 mile race on Sunday morning here in Phoenix.

Trail runner

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,578. Dec 14, 2012 2:15 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

OC:  Such die-hards, not backing off from a night run challenge, and finishing with all limbs intact!!  WAY TO GO!!  Hit dirt on mt trails a couple of times and one almost in a HM trail race but managed to keep upright ..... it was sooooo 'MATRIX-like' ..........I noticed that I tend to be more at risk when I am getting tired and I get lazy about lifting my knee so I need to be more vigilant about my distance and time.  Hope you heal well.

Oh Deb!!  That hurts ...... your description just wanted me to hug you!!!  Been there, done that on my trail run.  Had to sit and dust myself off and take care of any cuts and bruises before deciding to keep running ...... slowly.  Hope your owhwees (??) heal well too.

NHLA:  anxious to hear your race report, that sounds like a fun event. 

Stay healthy, Run safe and upright everyone!!

Trail runner

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,579. Dec 14, 2012 3:07 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

mel don't expect a good time. You will not believe the course they come up with.  Your competition is the route not the runners.  I run the course before the race cause I have been lost before.

OC thought you might like that price. The cross-country series is seven races for $50 and you are running against the same competition as other races.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,580. Dec 14, 2012 3:19 PM (in response to az2mn)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

I met my goal! Four days of running in a row. I ran 3.5 miles this afternoon as opposed to my usual morning run and had my "Carb Tank" full. Oh how lovely a few carbs are!

I was almost able to enjoy the spectacular day, except for the aching heart regarding the terrible shooting in nearby Connecticut. SO so sad. Those poor little angels!

Old Coyote Take care of that back and blue knee.

az2mn Huge bummer about feeling sick! Especially after a strong trail run.It sounds like what my hubby has right now. ((Hugs)) Feel better!

NHLA Then, can't wait to hear the course report.

Hug your children extra tonight.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,581. Dec 14, 2012 3:42 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Deb and OC, dang about the falls!! Watch out you don't put your hands out to cushion. Our shoulders are not up to absorbing the shocks they used to take. Found that out the hard way roller skating. Gotta respect the dark! NB has a hat with 6 LED lights around the brim. It gives good coverage and is washable. Not too expensive. Red Rock is beautiful land. I am so jealous!

Congrats Mel on your 4 days of runs. NHLA, I know you'll have fun at the front of the pack. Isn't it easier to get lost up there? JM, still on the 6 mm hunt. You'll kill it soon.

Deb, I napped my way through yesterday afternoon and on into the evening and this morning. Ha! You read my mind. Finished a strong 3+ mi.in 38:42 for lunch today. Actually did 4.5 with the warm up and cool down. Boy, did that feel good! My run on Sunday is an untimed 3.1 "fun run" so my goal is just to try and get lost or be last. Gotten a little bit of sanity back with today's run. WhooHoo!

Run fearless and finish strong, my friends!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,582. Dec 14, 2012 3:54 PM (in response to mkayc)

http://www.newbalance.com/Tri-Viz-Running-Cap/NB-3021,default,pd.html?camp=AS03012003377

This is the women's with pink trim but they sell a men's version with Hi Viz yellow. The lights are on the edge of the brim instead of inside the brim so they don't block your view or cause a glare. there's a button so you can choose 3 or 6 or blink them. I guess that's so you can move the brim away from your eyes but others can see you. Meh. It works kinda nice. Not real bright but enough to see the terrain.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,583. Dec 14, 2012 5:00 PM (in response to mkayc)

OldCoyote - I feel your pain!  I hope you heal quickly.

Thanks for all the well wishes!  Actually my goose egg is 99% gone and there are no bright colors.  Still stiff this mornng (down stairs?  ouch) so I skipped my run today.  Feeling better now - I can even bend my knee with nary a twinge.

MelodyLea - congrats on the 4 in a row! 

az - feel better soon - stomach woes are awful.

MaryKay - naps are good.

Just so saddened by the events in CT today - even though I know there's no answer, I just keep asking why.

Apr 9, 2011
    4,584. Dec 15, 2012 12:12 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

DebM - Glad the goose egg is gone.

MaryK - I have a headlamp; wonder if I could wear both?

Mel - Nice streak.

AZ2MN - Get well!

I mapped out a 9.8 mile route this morning on my beloved South Table Mountain. 8:30 am, 35 degrees, overcast, still. Really, a very nice day for a run. Since I'd been on this trail recently with a group, and ran it faster than usual, I decided to push myself today. I tried to keep the lactate burn in my legs just barely noticeable and run at an even effort, maybe going faster than LT threshold for a while but always running to recover, no walking. Made it to the turnaround in 48:31, stopped my watch, enjoyed the view. Hey, that's why you climb a 600 foot mesa, right? Ran back in 43:39. So, out was a 9:54 pace, back was 8:54, net 9:25, by far my fastest pace on this mountain. My fastest pace ever for any non-race run between 8-12 miles. Did I mention I had a great run today? Not to mention a fully searchable run log database with graphing capabilities.

I have a headlamp for night runs, but it's not the best. I've been trying to keep 2-3 meters behind the runner in front of me so I can use their lights too. I think I'll carry a flashlight in addition next time. I also need to learn to "read" the trail better. The rocks can be the same color as the dirt, and LED isn't bright enough for the shadows that give rocks depth. AND, I need to pick up my feet more. I kick a rock or stumble every mile; and I know what you mean about Matrix moves, AZ. I credit yoga for saving me from a much worse situation the other night. Even though I went down, I went down pretty gently considering it was downhill and technical. I felt like I was falling in slo-mo and was able to at least get my left foot under me to slow the impact.

Run free!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,585. Dec 15, 2012 4:07 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Blackjack 5k. 2nd place overall.  21 min.  Two 3s and a 6.  Grass & dirt but flat course.  There was one fast kid but I could not keep up with him. He was on NC state cc club team.  I was running alone most of the race but after 1/2 way I had a mental shift. I was going to catch him.  The race was just to short.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,586. Dec 15, 2012 6:28 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Posted last night, and just before I was going to hit the button, I deleted the screen instead. My bad. Anyway, Did a 6.5 mile tempo run last night after core exercises. 47:10. Today I did a 2-mile warmup then 6 x 800 repeats (3:20 pace, with 400 jogs). Total 7 miles, 52:12. Over 31 miles/week for 4 weeks in a row now.

Coyote... Be careful out there!! Actually thought about you very early Friday morning when we were awakened by what sounded like quite a few coyotes, which must have been very near our house. They were yipping up a storm out in the woods. Maybe one of them wiped out on the trail and the others were laughing at him!!

NHLA.... Nice race time, bad cards.

Melody... Excellent job getting the 4-in-a-row done!!!

mkayc.... Did you sleep from the afternoon until the next morning?!?!?!

Debm.... Treat that knee with extra care for a while.

Az2Mn.... Rest is a very good idea for what you have. Good luck Sunday.

Apr 9, 2011
    4,587. Dec 16, 2012 8:33 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

jmsab - I've done that, too. Click on "Reply to original post" instead of "Add Reply". Usually after a long session of typing.

Easy 3 this morning. Actually closer to a 5K; there's an out and back w/ lollipop I can run that's 3.18 miles from my back gate, up the road, 1 mile around the lake (OK, pond for all of you who live in states that actually have water) and back. 30 minutes even. Now eating pancakes, and then off to church. Have a great day, all!

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,588. Dec 16, 2012 9:13 AM (in response to Old Coyote)

I hadn't run since Tuesday.  Swam on Wednesday. Woke up Thursday with stomach bug.  Dragged myself to work Friday.  Sat was kids' swim meet which was away and took 6 hours out of my day.  Came home feeling hot, sweaty and starving.  Thought about trying a run on Sat but darkness intervened. I won't run in the dark for many reasons - obstacles, safety, not my best time of day....  Today, I ran 3.2 miles in 27 minutes.  Then my knee started to hurt and it started to rain.  I was planning to go 6, but - maybe on Tuesday.  I am happy I got in the 3.

OC and Deb - Glad your falls weren't to bad,  Speedy recovery to you both! 

Melody - I admire you for your 4 in a row.  I wish my body could take that.  I seem to need to break up my runs with other activities.

NHLA - Awesome time on the 5K. Maybe you'll get him next time!

AZ - I hope you feel better soon!

MaryKay - How was your run today?

I had the weirdest dream last night.  I was late showing up to the Braoad St Run (10 mile) and had to run to catch up with the chase vehicles.  I eventually passed the chase vehicles and found myself running with Justin Timberlake who was helping Robin Roberts.  I ended up helping her too.  Very Weird!  What could it mean?

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,589. Dec 16, 2012 10:43 AM (in response to Francessmom)

OldCoyote - great couple of runs!  hmm,new avatar picture? But I can't make out what it is.....?

NHLA - speedy!  You'll get him next year.

jmsab - I've taken to highlighting my post and Ctrl-C copying it (right click doesn't work) before hitting Add Reply because Active keeps logging me out and then deletes all my hard work.  Then I have to do is paste it back in.

Francesmom - glad you got 3 in today.  Sounds like you're feeling better.

Was planning on running the trails by the pond this morning,but thought I should go easy on uneven surfaces after the "incident" last week. Instead, I revisited the scene of the "splat."  Wow - that frost heave in the concrete was huge!  If I had gone straight over it, I think I would have cleared it.  But changing direction to cross the street is what I think caused my  toe to catch it - that and the slight downward pitch toward the street.  Ended up with a pretty strong 7.5 miles this morning.  New rule (for now):  Stop and walk across streets then resume running when safely  on the other side. 

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...