Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

659972 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 305 306 307 308 309 ... 327 Previous Next
  • NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,590. Dec 16, 2012 12:00 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

12 miles 1 hr 44 min. Got caught in a hard rain. Ran to Sanburg home and back.

fran Timberlake LOL

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    4,591. Dec 16, 2012 2:36 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles hill race coming up in Feb.  Practied it today.  Wow, cant even run the biggest major hill yet, hope I can after I train the next 2 months for it.  

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4,592. Dec 16, 2012 4:29 PM (in response to Urbster)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Do a hill repeats workout once a week.  Much better than just running a hilly course. Find a hill about 200 meters long. Do a mile warmup. Up the hill at a fairly hard pace, down easy for recovery, repeat. Do a mile cooldown. Work up to 6 or 8 or more repeats.  This is considered a "hard" workout, so take that into account when planning your week.  This has worked great for me. 

Len

Len

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,593. Dec 16, 2012 5:59 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA-nice time, very nice time! 

Francesmom- love the dream!  lol

Forced myself to run outside today, kinda slate gray, 35 and slight breeze.   3 miles today, 3.5 Friday.   No problem staying warm.  Motivation to put in miles just isn't there since the marathon.  No surprise I guess.  The weather and treadmill running don't help. 

Run strong and safe this week friends.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,594. Dec 16, 2012 6:10 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

DebM -  The avatar is my Christmas tree. It's a Charlie Brown tree with my race medals and ribbons on it.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,595. Dec 16, 2012 7:10 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

OldCoyote - that's what I thought.   Great idea!

Dan - I had motivation problems after only a half marathon - I can't imagine having completed a FULL!   You've earned some extra down time, but don't worry, the motivation will return. 

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,596. Dec 16, 2012 9:52 PM (in response to Debm2011)

HERE's JOHNNY !!!!

Hey guys, Im back!

I ended up taking a full week off after that silly foot pain. It got better each day, but was probably just a small muscle sprain / strain from over use. In the middle of my "recovery week" my other foot had the same complaints. Get it all out of the way now guys - I thought.

Today was a big decline. Last run was 9.5 miles. Tonight I ran 4.8. Speed was decent. 47:09. I still want to get faster. Felt pretty cold and drizzly tonight, but warmed up quickly. Sneakers get too wet too easily. Need ones that resist the puddles a little better.

OC loved seeing the pics, esp the first tracks in the snow. Sorry to hear about your fall in the dark and your subsequent purple knee. Im pretty afraid of running in the dark.

jane nice 2 mile run. Its amazing how fast your body can adapt to doing more.

Debm- sorry to hear about the fall. I agree about justrundan it makes sense that there would be some loss of motivation. Probably partly your bodys way of saying it wants to heal too.

NHLA - wow 12 miles in 1:44? amazing.

One last thing, Im getting a puppy this week. We decided to get a rescue puppy. Its already spade, and I spoke with the woman who has been caring for the dog. She said that it came from a litter of 7, all 7 have been altered and will be going to good homes, and as part of their program they offered the family to spade the mother as well. She is coming in on a transport on Dec 19th, and I plan to pick her up at 3pm. Its just SOOO close to Christmas morning, that Im hoping we can keep a puppy a secret for... 6 days? I think I can. Running is all about taking one day at a time to get to that big goal right? I'll keep you all updated.

bella1.jpg

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,597. Dec 16, 2012 11:26 PM (in response to JEFF CT)

One more thought that I keep meaning to post...

I like running at night. Since December 16th, Sunset has been getting later. It is currently 4:22pm.

I know many of you like to run early. Unfortunately, Sunrise wont start to get earlier until Jan 11th, when it will be 7:18am.

Many of us have been lucky to avoid ice and snow, but as I read about falls in the dark, the short days are a winter obstacle in themselves.

I have decided I will likely focus on 6-10 mile runs in the winter, because the window for my slow butt to get in a 13 mile run is just too tight. At least until I win the lottery and dont need to worry about juggling work with family and running.

The nights are already getting shorter.

Soon the mornings will come earlier.

Stay safe.

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

Apr 9, 2011
    4,598. Dec 17, 2012 11:41 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Urbster, Lenzlaw - Good to hear from you.

Jeff - I was running in the dark in July, believe it or not.

Easy 3.1 today, 28 minutes. Weather is supposed to be cold and windy tomorrow, so I'll take a rest day. I felt pretty beat today, although it could have been because I ran pretty late, and didn't have breakfast. I've run every day this month, though, 84 miles so far. I need another 54 to do 1200 this year.

Run free!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,599. Dec 17, 2012 3:51 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7.3 miles 52 min. Lake and back.

cute pup Jeff.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,600. Dec 17, 2012 5:39 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

A few days off this week, but the weather is supposd to continue to be bad all week. Dang. Got our first real snow today. It actually started last night, and it continued spitting all day, for a total of about 5 inches on the ground. Probably no more road running for a while.

Ran a progressive run on the TM after shoveling this afternoon. 7.0 miles, 52:14. Also did another core workout, with a new plank exercise with dumbbells.

Hoping to take my 3-yr. old grandson to the Y pool near his house for a fun swim tomorrow. Weather dependent.

Francessmom...... Say hi to Robin for me.

Jeff.... That spot on his chest looks like a spirit or a ghost.

Coyote.... My marathoner friend posted a picture of her backyard tree last year, "decorated" with about a dozen pairs of running shoes.

JustrunDan... Keep getting it done.

Have nice days, runners.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,601. Dec 17, 2012 6:18 PM (in response to jmsab23)

This morning I ran one of the best 3.5 mile runs in a week! Felt great. I'm not sure why, but I think it has to do with getting accustomed to less carbs perhaps and figuring out what snack to eat prior to running...at any rate, I so enjoyed the chilly morning run.

mkayc So good to hear you back to good strong running! Yay you.

NHLA Sounds like a super strong race.

jmsab23 "31 miles/week for 4 weeks in a row"  < Fantastic! I'd love to get there someday.

Francessmom Sounds like a tough week! You're a good mom going to kiddos swim meets.

Debm2011 Nice strong 7.5! I think that is a wise rule of thumb regarding frostheaves and road crossings!.

NHLA You really just amaze and inpire me!

Urbster Keep at it! and lenzlaw that is great advice. Thanks

justrundan I hope you get your running inspiration back soon!

Old Coyote Awe...your tree! Got it! I agree with Debm2011, you deserve some extra down time.

JEFF CT SO excited about your puppy! Yay.THANK you so much for rescuing her. I've been thinking about you and your running...be sure not to do too much too soon. Those are just my thoughts...easy does it and stay injury free.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,602. Dec 18, 2012 4:15 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

13.4 mile run on Sunday, and according to the bane.info calculator, I had an average pace of 10:23 per mile.  Recovery day yesterday.  Today I'll see if I can get some lunchtime fartleks on a nearby trail.

Our snowless streak may be coming to an end soon.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Memo to Mother Nature: Dump it all in the Lake.  The water level is really low.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

Apr 9, 2011
    4,603. Dec 18, 2012 7:25 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Ogr44, Linuscatch - haven't heard from you guys.

justrundan - It's hard to get out there in the cold without a goal. My goal is to not suck at my first 50k .

melodylea - Got your mojo back!

degregorius - We could use a reservoir filling dump, too.

3.3 miles this morning (construction detour on the path), 30:40. Decided to run because the storm has stalled in the mountains, and I'll be forced inside either Wednesday or Thursday, probably.  Was very tired at the beginning, actually wishing it HAD stormed so I could have stayed home, but after about 2.5 miles my legs woke up and I finished pretty good.

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,604. Dec 18, 2012 9:05 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Last run was 6.2 mi on the treadmill last night in 1:13.  That was in part to punish myself for not running outside on Sunday, also to make up for not running outside on Sunday.  I was lucky enough to get out of work 2 hours early so I put it to good use, getting in my long run plus accomplishing some extra chores around home.

My back has started "twinging" the last couple of days around the area of my injury from Jan so I made an appt with the chiro for Thurs.  Hopefully my weak bulging disc is not bulging too badly and I can get it back in line quickly.  I'll be doing some gentler workouts today and tomorrow until I get advice from the doc.  Keeping fingers crossed!!

JustrunDan - I am there with you in the motivation dept.  Winter weather and dimmer light kind of saps my motivation for everything.  Just keep pushing through.  I'll be starting my half training schedule (a few weeks early in case of any interruptions) soon so that will keep me on track.

Jeff, very cute puppy!  She looks like she'll make a good running buddy in a few short months.  So glad you went with a Rescue, there are so many loving animals out there looking for good homes.

OC - Runner's World has been posting many pic's of "running trees" from subscribers.  I don't have enough bling to do that but I think they all look great.  A nice way to celebrate your successes!

In case I'm not back on before then, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...