Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

854 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2012 4:38 PM by Rich in NH
rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
Mar 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 20, 2012 12:19 PM

Runs & Workouts, Thursday, December 20, 2012

Hi guys,

No workout today, just a visit to the orthopedist.  One of the more positive Dr. visits I've had.  Looks like my shin problem is a "stress reaction", precursor to stress fracture, with some tendonitis due to inflammation. Asked if I was taking any ibuprofen and when I replied that I try to stay away from pain killers she replied "Good!".  She also said that I should be cross training and working on my core.  So, I've got the okay to start rowing, biking and doing core strengthening exercises.  She also seemed positive about using the Vibrams, especially in light of my knee problems.  The one thing she seemed to think I needed to pay more attention to is nutrition.  Indicated that need to keep fueling about every 20 minutes and calculating salt intake.  Hadn't heard much about the latter and I'll need to go over the calculations she gave me.  I think her line of thinking is closer to mine then my primary care physician.  No running, though, until I"m pain free for a week.  Oh, she also said whatever I'm doing seems to be working cuz I'm hiding my age well - my reply, I picked my parents well...

Rich, hope the feet are healing.

DH, hope all is well - you've been busy I assume.

Ray

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Dec 20, 2012 1:27 PM (in response to rcuriel)
    Re: Runs & Workouts, Thursday, December 20, 2012

Hi Ray.  What.... no gloating about the 49'ers win last weekend? lol  They're looking good this year...

I'm confused about fueling every 20 minutes, that's something I've never heard before.  Even in a marathon, the recommendation is to take an energy gel every 5 miles or so.  Can you explain?

Did you get any dietary recommendations from the doc, things you should be eating?

Sorry about the questions, but I like to be a know-it-all... lol

I went 4 miles on the railtrail today, a walk,run,run,walk routine.  Easy paced, the splits were 16:26, 10:47, 9:58 and 16:15.  I can't say I'm making progress with P.F., but at least it's not getting worse.

Dark Horse will be back, my guess is he's got more pressing business to attend to at the moment...

Oh yeah, I hide my age well too, I wear a mask...     

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Dec 10, 2007
    3. Dec 20, 2012 4:24 PM (in response to rcuriel)

I honestly don't know what N.E.'s home record is in December, but it might be 10 years since they've lost. They used to be a cellar team, but it was fun to watch them just the same.  Nowadays, you expect to see them contending to go to the Super Bowl and most years they do.

A hydration belt makes it easy to carry water on a run.  They look uncomfortable, but cinched up tight enough to keep the bottle from bouncing, they work pretty well.  With mine, the bottle sits at an angle, rather than laying parallel to the ground. 

I asked about food thinking there might be specific foods that would strengthen your shin bone.  And yeah, there's an individual here who constantly recommends supplements, but real food in your belly is the way to go.

Ah yes, taking the kids out for driving lessons.  That'll thin your hair in a hurry...lol

Good luck with the rowing session...

Dec 10, 2007
    5. Dec 21, 2012 4:38 PM (in response to rcuriel)

I've never seen a rowing machine, but it sounds like a great workout and a good way to compliment your running Ray, good for you.

I didn't get out today, (Friday) the weather stayed wet so I decided a day off was in order.  Tomorrow's supposed to be better...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...