Skip navigation

1502 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2012 7:28 PM by 23AllDayEveryDay RSS
BBJansen Rookie 4 posts since
Dec 22, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 22, 2012 6:23 PM

In-game Position

So ye here is my problem,

for the last 3 years ive litterly played every single position, ive played center,guard and forward and i really dunno what to train on anymore...

im 16 years old and like 1.87m (6 feet 3 inches i think?) and fairly muscly (not ripped or anything), I had to play center the first year cuz i was the biggest on the team and the only one that could grab a rebound/ make a post move, ive played forward cuz... well i dunno rlly just cuz  i had to and i played sg for quite some time now because i can drain the 3 and my ball handeling is pretty good.

now overall my best quality is by far my in traffic/off dribble shooting and the stepbakc jumper, if i get the chance to drive ill mostly go for it and then stepback and hit it from a coouple feet out.

my post moves are decent but its just because if i get into trouble i know i can spin out and take the fadeaway.

my weak points are probably: drive on speed(my speed is good but I dont practise it because i dont feel safe when going on speed), finishing against a big guy, mostly finishing within the bucket... and against a good shot blocker in mostly kinda scr*wd too because they can predict the jumper and act accordingly.

Now should i play sg for my jumpers or should i maybe play center for the fadeaway if it gets too hard to finish?

Maybe even forward if you see a good reason behind that but i dont rlly know anymore

Help/advice is highly appreciated and if you think im getting something wrong pls tell me because not everyone''s perfect i guess but ill make sure to practise hard on whatever i have to play atm

(sorry for the bad english maybe, its not my native language, my apologies if you had trouble reading)

thnx

A.Jansen

• TriangleBasketball Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 22, 2012
    1. Dec 22, 2012 9:42 PM (in response to BBJansen)
    In-game Position

Do you have a game video of you playing, if you do please send a link so we can see how you are playing. 

• 23AllDayEveryDay Pro 155 posts since
    Aug 1, 2011
    3. Dec 26, 2012 11:57 AM (in response to BBJansen)
    In-game Position

at 6'3 go for shooting guard. You will never be tall enough to play center unless you get some crazy growth spurt, which is highly unlikely. But you will probably reach about 6'4 or 6'5 by time your a senior which is perfect height for a shooting guard. It sounds like you already have a good jumpshot, and it seems like your ballhandling is decent it was hard to tell how you worded it.

I would work on the driving with speed i guess that was your issue? But just continue to improve ballhandling.

And still work on some post moves because that is an advantage againts smaller quick guards that you can drive by, you can take them into the post.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

• 23AllDayEveryDay Pro 155 posts since
    Aug 1, 2011
    5. Dec 26, 2012 7:28 PM (in response to BBJansen)
    In-game Position

No problem. I had the same decision, but it came a little sooner for me (im 15 yrs old). When i was younger i always played center but realized i would never grow up to be super tall so i am now a tall guard which is a huge advantage and the post moves help to post up small guards. Tall kids with guard skills are a killer mismatch.

Plus your pull up jumper and stepback you were talkin about are great because no one uses midrange game anymore

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...