Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

731132 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 308 309 310 311 312 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,635. Dec 21, 2012 7:46 PM (in response to NHLA)
    My last run was...how was yours?

NHLA - when I grow up I want to run like you.   amazing yearly mileage

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,636. Dec 22, 2012 12:07 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

NHLA - That's some miles. If I had 40 mph winds, I'd get a treadmill.

wasp.jpghttp://www.ultimatedirection.com/p-593-wasp.aspx

I got a gift card for Boulder Running Company for Christmas, and I'd had my eye on this for months. I'm now the proud owner . Now I have to get my mileage back up and go for some 3 hour runs!

10.2 miles, 1 hour 40 minutes. I ran on the cement path today to try to give my quads a break, and now my feet hate me. Oh well. It was a beautiful morning for a run along the creek.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,637. Dec 22, 2012 3:52 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7 miles 1 hr. Cold 40mph winds. Ran single track trails on south side of Eagle rock to get out of the wind. Great trail but you can sure bust it. Three trips but no falls. The rock does look like an eagle,

OC no TM for me. Hope backpack is ok running.

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,638. Dec 23, 2012 9:05 AM (in response to NHLA)

Today did 3.85 in 30 minutes.  Very strong headwind fro 2.3 miles, but finish was with wind at my back.  Weather today is sunny and 40 - not to bad to run in.  I keep reading about everyone's plans for 2013. I don't really have any at this time.  I keep looking at races to do but my weekends are pretty busy until mid March.  I would like to try another HM, but don't think I could get training in  for a spring HM.  Oh well - I guess I will just keep running and see what

develops.

I despise the TM.  My pace is always slower and it is sooo boring!  Our town has a community center with an indoor track (1/10th mile).  I will run there is the roads get too bad.  There is an older gentleman that runs there that often runs 10 miles or more which is over 100 times around the track! 

NHLA - 40 miles an hour is crazy!  Your scenery always sounds amazing!

OC - I never ran with a pack.  Let me know what it is like.

Dan  - I love that kind of snow when everyone is forced to slow down.  It brings out the good in people. 

Chell - Great mileage! I wish I could get my DH to start running.  Sometimes he rides along when I run.  I did get him to do the Warrior Dash last June.

Deb - Take care of that ankle.

Merry Christmas, everyone!  Have a Safe and Healthy week!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

Feb 23, 2012
    4,639. Dec 23, 2012 1:05 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

18 miles 2 hr 31 min  No wind!!  Rock formations 100 foot tall covered with sheets of ice. Looked like a still waterfall.

Apr 9, 2011
    4,640. Dec 23, 2012 1:17 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

francessmom - This pack was designed by trail runners. You know, no-names like Anton Krupicka and Scott Jurek. I read a dozen reviews, and the 2 worst reviews were 4 stars out of 5. It's been tested at Hardrock 100. I have been wearing a large fanny pack with 2 bottle holders, which has plenty of space but I have no hips for the belt to sit on. I end up with the buckle tight across my lower abdomen, and after about 10 miles I start to feel some pain. A fanny pack may be a viable option for you, and they're a lot cheaper.

You can train for a half in 20 miles/week, easily. Getting some 10-12 mile long runs on weekends may mean getting up before dawn, though.

An easy 4.5 today, 9:30 pace. It was sunny and 45, so I was in shorts and a long sleeve shirt. Then to church, and then "happened" to walk into Runner'sRoost Lakewood. They happened to have a pair of these on clearance. mens-single-track-shoe-ALQE_JU1_hero.jpg

So, I picked them up. The North Face Singletrack, heavier than my Minimus, but sometimes my feet hurt and I want more shoe, more protection.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,641. Dec 23, 2012 1:32 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

Lovely LSD today! Long Slow Distance...10 sweet miles. Felt strong, no knee pain no hip pain. I carried a few super yummy Hammer Apple Cinnamon Gels (mmm!)

Old Coyote I have learned SO much from you! Thanks for that advice about 20 miles per week versus 100. I think I'll stick to 20 miles per week with one LSD and eventually speed work so I can run a MUCH better 10K in May. LOVE your new pack AND new shoes!! Yay.

jmsab23 Easy does it on those crazy stretches. Oh, yes...I'm a "glass is half full" gal! I've learned that I must find that speck of light in the dark no matter what, in order to survive. I'm no stranger to pain and tragedy...so I had a choice in life early on, either allow all the terrible things that I faced knock me down, or rise up and use gratitude as a life force. (whoa..heavy stuff, eh?) LOL

chell730 *Go, Chell, go!!*

justrundan That is a LOT of snow!

NHLA You are such an inspiration!

Debm2011 Sounds like a good deep rest is what you need right now! Enjoy.

Francessmom Have you tried running in the snow yet? I found over the last few years, that as long as the roads are plowed, running on them is pretty steady footing. Course, I have very quiet roads to run on, so I don't worry about slippy cars too much. I do wear some wild bright colors all winter and even a blinky light on dark days. Good luck on the indoor track.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, TEAM!!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,642. Dec 23, 2012 5:54 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Hello all, and hope you have a very Merry Christmas! 

Been a while since last post, maybe a month or so.  Since my trip to Afghanistan, I have been very tired and really trying hard to get back into a running groove.  Have been reading all your posts and keeping up but life keeps getting in the way in terms of time to respond.

You all have some great stories over the last month, and the entire year.  Take a moment to look back and reflect on what you have done, and how far you have come.  Congrats to you!

And how we have all benefited from the support of this incredible group.  PR's for some, first time Marathoners, beginners changing their lives for the better, you are all "runners".  The best story of the year is from coyote who shared his experience during a race where a new runner, very overweight and struggling was approached by a very experienced and fit runner that stopped to say: "...there are two kinds of people in this world, runners and everyone else...and you are a runner."  How cool is that?

I honestly never really thought of myself as a runner.  But this year, at age 49, I ran two 10 mile races and 3 HM's, plus some local 5k's, 7k's etc.  With one week to go in the year, I have run 200 times, logged just over 1160 miles in 204 hours for an average of 10:30 m/m, and burned 116,000 calories.  So while I am not ecstatic about my recent attempts to get an average of 20 mpw, this year has been a huge success, especially since I have achieved my main goal of running injury free!

And you all have similarly exceptional experiences!  I promise that I will be better about responding and keeping up more regularly heading into the New Year.

So as you wind down 2012, enjoy the time with your families, celebrate the Holidays, and look forward to an even more incredible 2013. 

2012-12-22_15-32-59_422.jpg

Thought I would share a quick view of my run yesterday from a local trail overlooking the Boulder Valley, the Flatiron Mountains to the left and the Rocky Mtns in the background.  Am sure that coyote recognizes all of this!

Run strong, run free, and be "Fearless" in all that you do!

Jun 12, 2011
    4,643. Dec 23, 2012 5:16 PM (in response to linuscatch)

OldCoyote - nice shoes and pack!

MelodyLea - "Felt strong, no knee pain no hip pain."  <== sweet!

Francesmom - I'm with you on the TM - although I will use it when necessary.

linus - welcome back!   and thanks.  It's nice to look back over the year at all the progress and good things we have done. 

Slept in yesterday all the way to 9:00 (unheard of!), did absolutely nothing until about 1:00 then took a shower and headed out Christmas shopping and a little retail therapy.  My ankle was much better - it never lasts more than 24 hours if I take care of it - and was able to get out to run today.   6.3 miles, 28 degrees.  my weather app said the windchill was 22 but by the time I got out there wasn't really any wind - and I was way overdressed - thank goodness for layers.  I hit the trails behind the pond and it was so nice and peaceful. 

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,644. Dec 24, 2012 6:05 AM (in response to Debm2011)

Merry Christmas Everyone!

linuscatch What a beautiful and thoughtful post! Thank you for reminding us about the "big picture". Welcome back.

Debm2011 Your run around the pond sounds so relaxing. I'm glad that ankle is feeling better.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

Jun 12, 2011
    4,645. Dec 24, 2012 6:27 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

Went out for an easy 2 miles, ended up with 3.5.  Beautiful sunny morning but the weather forecast calls for snow after a midnight   - yay! 

Merry Christmas everyone.   Warmest wishes to you and your families. 

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,646. Dec 24, 2012 9:53 AM (in response to Debm2011)

For those of you that remember Avery's story, her parents are in Hawaii as they had planned with her before she lost her fight with cancer.  They had gone there almost every year as a family and it truly was Avery's favorite place.  Last night they spread her ashes in her favorite spot, the Pacific Ocean, and rememberd "A VERY" special girl...

Just two days ago, Avery's mom, Vicki sent me a great message about running:

"I don't run to add days to my life.  I run to add life to my days."

Words to live by...

Fearless!

Feb 23, 2012
    4,647. Dec 24, 2012 2:47 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.2 miles 57 min. Worst hill in the county,

Apr 9, 2011
    4,648. Dec 24, 2012 4:17 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

"I don't run to add days to my life.  I run to add life to my days." That's very true for me lately.

melodylea - Nice 10 spot!

Debm - 9:00? I can't imagine. I made it to 8 once, in October.

linus - Great shot. Hard to tell with the zoom available, but were you up by NIST? On the Mesa trail?

I ran a nice 4.2 miler this morning, cold 20 degrees, but I was dressed right. I've taken to wearing 2 pair of compression shorts under my tights or running pants. Guys, I gotta tell you, that extra layer is a little bit of Heaven right here on Earth. I may do 90-120 minutes tomorrow, depending. We're supposed to get 5" or so of snow, slowing by dawn. That sounds like perfect running weather to me, so let's hope!

On a personal note, I saw Mrs Coyote today. She's back in this reality praise God, but still fragile and in need of help. However, because I don't have a job (and am frankly rather emotionally fragile myself) there is really nothing I can do right now. It was a bittersweet morning.

Merry Christmas, everyone. I wish you all love.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,649. Dec 24, 2012 5:07 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

OC - glad for your bright spot. So sorry for your struggle. I can't imagine. Am hosting DD who is sound asleep sick and i am finding the spector of my mother really hard to deal with alone. I had things planned to avoid this very thing happening but the kid took a bunch of meds and Bam! So I can do this.

Haven't had a chance to read all your awesome accomplishments but I'm sure they are very impressive! They always are!! I've been nursing the congestion with the help of a lot of Mucinex. It's been very persistent but then I have been able to get some short runs in sporadically. This has been going on so long now I have trouble imagining 6 mi. let alone 10 or 13 but I finally felt strong yesterday for the first two miles- and then my nose didn't stop running all night.

Have great holidays, all! Run strong and safe?

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...