Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

997372 Views 4,714 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 Go to original post 1 ... 306 307 308 309 310 ... 315 Previous Next
  • mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Az, REST! You have a flu or something like it. Your race will be much stronger if you do NO running between now and Sunday.

That being said, finished a strong 3+ mi.in 38:42. Actually did 4.5 with the warm up and cool down. Boy, did that feel good! - but it's my first race pace run in weeks. My run on Sunday is an untimed 3.1 "fun run" and my goal is just to try and not be last or get lost. Everything seems such a challenge right now but I've gotten a little bit of sanity back with today's run. WhooHoo!

Run fearless and finish strong, my friends!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Marie- Hope your long runs this weekend went well.  You've put a lot in the last few months and I know you are looking forward to doing this with your daughter.  Enjoy the journey as well as the weekend!

az2mn- hope you recovered quickly enough for the race today.  That GI stuff can take it out of you.

Warm enough to run outside today, 35 and overcast.  Really had to force myself to get out and get going . The motivations just isn't there like before the marathon. I guess that's not surprising.  The TM doesn't really entice me to do anything long distance either.  3 miles today, 3.5 on TM Friday.  I'll keep plugging along, need to set some intermediate goals going into the May HM plan.

Run strong and safe this week friends.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• WDWRich Amateur 17 posts since
    Feb 1, 2012

Ran Sunday morning.  Was planning to do at least 6 miles, but cut it off at 4 as I started to feel the muscle strain again.  Running a 15k race in just 3 weeks, but I should probably take 5 to 7 days off now to get this thing to heal.  Bummed!

08/19/2012 AFC 5K 28:29

09/01/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08

11/22/2012 Thank you 10K 58:17

01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17

03/10/2013 San Diego HM (registered)

09/01/2013 Disneyland HM (registered)

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Happy Birthday Mimi!  Sorry it is belated, but "in-Active" wouldn't let me reply last week.  I hope you enjoyed a beautiful day filled with all your favorite things!  Loved reading about the encouragement you gave the runners at the HM.  It must have seemed like "Groundhog Day" running up to the finish line again and again and again!  Those runners are so lucky to have you inspiring them!

Aug 2, 2010

Lots of great running going on!  You are all an inspiration as you balance work, family, training and dealing with the stress this time of year brings.  You are Mighty Masters, indeed!  Those of you on the mend from injuries or illness, take care and feel better soon.

Our mild temperatures continue, but it looks like we may have a white Christmas floating in off the plains.  So grateful to be able to run safely outdoors this far into December. On Sunday ran a slow 10 miles on the bike path.  It was a little foggy with occasional drizzle, but quiet and meditative.  This afternoon I'll head out for an easy 4 miles along the river path.

Stay strong, friends!

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010

I've been running races for two years.  Am I still a newbie?  Oh well, I wasn't on the High School XC team, nor the one in College, so I guess the answer is yes.

The challenge?  Remembering that I'm over 50 and I DO need 48 hours to recover from a run over 10 miles.  There's only so much post run stretching and icing down one can do.  Time is the ultimate healer.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

Jul 22, 2011

Debra-we got about 3 today and they expcect 8-12" Wed night/Thursday unless the storm shifts.  You will probably get less, but it should stick around for a beautiful white Christmas.  Enjoy!  You are really putting in some good miles for this time of year. It is a blessing to be able to run outside in December.

Degregorius- I know the feeling- almost 2 years for me, multiple races, etc, but still feel like a beginner in many ways. That's not so bad, as long as we keep at it.  I'm nearing the bottom of the hill on the other side off 55, so I totally agree about recovery time.  That's why I usually only ran 3 or at the most 4 days/week last summer and fall when doing the longer training- just need the time to recover!

Run strong and safe in the snow friends!

notable 2012 runs:

2013 runs:

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Aug 2, 2010

Dan~Can you believe the last time Milwaukee saw any measurable snow it was March 4th?  Well, my snowshoes and x-country skis are ready, and I am hoping to make use of them over the Christmas break.  Don't fret, the motivation for running does come back. Your marathon was not that long ago, it was very taxing physically and mentally.  After the DCHM, I had to use every trick in the book to get out and run.  Some days I just didn't want to run, and I didn't.  I decided to set mini-goals every week, and it helped tremendously.  You'll be back in the groove soon!

degregorius~Rest days, ahhhh!  I have taken to walking 3-4 miles on the day following a long run.  Not power walking, but a casual stroll.  Along with ice baths (they aren't so bad), foam rolling and stretching, my Monday morning walks have really helped with any residual stiffness. 

Nice 4 mile run yesterday, just finished up as the HUGE snowflakes began to fall.  Have to find my Yaktrax!

Run safe and strong, friends!

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Hello mighty and fearless masters!

Had my almost not a 10 miler event done on Sunday.

Heavy downpour on Saturday in Phoenix but Sunday morning was wet, cool and slight overcast but no predicted rain for the day.

Waiting for the race, we found out that the rain caused some drainage problems and the course was shortened to 7.5 miles instead. 

Felt better than the last few days so change of strategy:  run a faster pace; was told there were 3 water only stations along the course which turned out to be a full TRAIL course, not a road course as I assumed!!  No time to get my trail shoes which I left at the hotel, bummer!!  "It's only 7.5 miles" so I left my water belt with my one hammer gel in the car!!

Trail was mostly gravel, some dirt packed areas, mostly flat along a canal, three good short inclines which I ran up, no stopping, Yay!!

I begin to lose energy around 7 miles.  Would have love some gatorade at this point!!    The start/finish line was not any closer.  I slowed down and decided to pace the guy in front of me, we kept passing each other for most of the way.  And I learned from running trail races to keep someone in sight in front of you so not to get lost (assuming they know the course!!) and/or to not end up by yourself.  But also out of pride, I did not want others who I passed earlier to pass me,   We knew it was more than 7.5 miles and we stopped 2 or 3 times to see if we were on the right trail.  We kept going and upped our pace the last 1/4 mile, crossing the finish line, we found out the course was 10.1 miles after all.

It was a small event which benefitted a children's home so I didn't mind the confusion and the poorly marked trail.  It was a fun and energetic at the end.  Bought some raffle tickets for $10  and ended up winning a nice small flashlight, hot chocolate with mugs, $25 & $50 gift cards!!!  All for the low registration fee of $40!!! 

My unofficial time was:  1:31:41, placed 2nd in 50-54 age group, think I might have placed 4th, 5th, or 6th overall.

Not bad for a 52 yr old!!

My 10 mile PR is 1:22:20 (50 yrs old).

So am happy with my effort and time.

Trail runner

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

"placed 4th, 5th, or 6th overall" ....... meaning overall in female runners.

Trail runner

Aug 2, 2010

az2mn~Way to go!!!  Great race report, and well done on your 10 mile race.  You kept your focus though weather, forgotten gear and course changes.  Awesome effort in adapting your pace thinking the course was one distance and finding out it was the full 10 miles.  Congrats on the great AG &OV finish, AND the raffle wins, too!

Jul 22, 2011

Debra- 16" of wet snow in Baraboo!  Schools closed last 2 days, our clinic closed Thursday.  How did you do in Milwaukee?

az2mn- excellent job on the trail run; you really kick those things!

Family coming tonight for the weekend, looking forward to lots of family time and relaxing!  Run strong and safe the next few days friends. Have a very blessed Christmas!

notable 2012 runs:

2013 runs:

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

A-Mazing job on the trail run, particularly w all those distractions. You must have some very zippy women in Az! that pace was awesome for a trail!! I would have been either 1st or 2nd in my AG for the AF HM w that time and it is all paved.

DD is here w me for holiday. She's sick, sleeping. I'm disappointed and tired from all the work that went into getting ready. And this is my first Christmas without my Mom. On a more positive note, I ran 4 m. Yesterday and felt strong for the first 2. It's been awhile and felt great! Had a hike planned tomorrow w friends but now can't go bc she's sick and she will probably sleep through it.hope it's good running weather. Enjoy your holidays!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

To my Mighty Masters running friends:

I apologize for my prolonged absence from the forum, but my last race was two months ago so I haven't had anything new to report.  I hope you are all in good health and spending the Christmas holidays with family and friends.  Our son and family are visiting from Des Moines.  It's our granddaughter's first Christmas, but she's only four months old so, despite her high level of inherited intelligence, she probably won't remember much of it.  I still get kicked offline when I try to post a picture, so I can't share her with you.

I've dialed back my running for a month or two.  Still doing about 8-10 miles a week but working more on core strengthening.  I've signed up for my first HM of 2013, in Kenosha, Wisconsin on May 4th.  I'll pick up my mileage gradually starting next month.  Our bike club is doing winter hikes three days a week.  I go when the route is in a nice, hilly park or forest preserve rather than on the flat city streets.

We missed the big snow here in the Chicago area.  Des Moines got a foot and you in Madison and the surrounding area really got hammered.  The next storm that we thought we might get is now heading south of us through Missouri and Arkansas, on its way to Georgia. 

My best wishes to you all for a blessed Christmas and a healthy new year.  I'll do my year-end wrapup run on December 31 and my new year kickoff run on New Year's Day.  I don't party on New Year's Eve and I don't watch much college football (except for Northwestern, Go Cats!), so it's a good chance to hit the gym or run outside if it's decent weather.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

Aug 2, 2010

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas with family and friends.  Joy to the World!

Dan~We dodged the big snow last Thursday!  We received a lot of well needed rain, and when the thermometer dipped around 3 pm it turned to snow.  Only a few inches, but it created a winter wonderland for Christmas. 

MaryKay~Congrats on your 4 mile run!  Winter hiking is great, I really enjoy it, too.  Hope DD is feeling well soon.

Steve~We missed you!  Those winter hikes sound great.  How did you find the group that you hike with?  Most of the time I prefer solitary hiking, but it would be nice to go with a group occasionally.

Last Sunday I ran a strong 8 miles on the bike path along the river.  Just a few spots where the snow had not melted and it was icy, but overall the path was in great condition for winter running.   Late afternoon on Christmas Day, DH and I ventured out for a chilly 4 mile run/walk on the bike path near our home.  I was glad I wore my Yaktrax, because the path was snowy and icy.  Along the way, we greeted a runner in green tights, red shorts, red/white striped socks and a battery operated blinking "star" stocking cap. Gotta love the holiday spirit!

Run strong, friends!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...