Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2012 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2013 8:48 PM by kenvin RSS
Terry Yochum Rookie 3 posts since
Oct 23, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 19, 2012 1:18 PM

Hip Problems

I have been an experienced runner a over 15 years. I typically run 5 K races and log in between 12-18 miles per week. I recently have been training for a 1/2 marathon and have increased my  workouts as well as my long runs. Strange thing is when my milege gets to the 9 mile mark (and above), both sides of my hip starts to hurt. I usually recuperate by the next day but I'm skeptical about running the 1/2 marathon.

Any suggestions? I'm 56, in good shape and no other issues. Could it be my shoe's or diet, fluid intake? Appreciate your help.

Terry

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,127 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    1. Dec 19, 2012 7:08 PM (in response to Terry Yochum)
    Re: Hip Problems

Not likely to be related to fluid intake unless you are always dehydrated. Diet probably not important @ 9 miles.

Shoes could be an issue if you have been doing these 9+s in the same shoes and haven't tried other pairs. This kind of problem could be accentuated by excess pronation or low arches, both of which require more hip stabilization. Are your shoes too minimalist? Seems to be the trend now. Not all feet are well suited to such shoes.

Have you run much over 9 miles before in the last 15 years? If so, was it a while back? I have found that not enough distance training leads to having to pretty much, start over again. The early longs hurt more than the later ones, even when the mileage is much higher later. Was 9 a big jump from your usual long run, like 3 or more miles farther? It can take a while to build up to that. I would not boost my long or total mileage by more than a mile extra a week if you are not used to it.

I trained up to a 14 miler before my first Half, and I was rolling on the floor in pain after that. I had not done anything that long prior, and was not ready. The Half, 3 weeks later after my taper, went fine, but working up to it was very painful. Since then, years later, I've worked up to long runs more than twice that length, so you can get used to it, even in your fifties.

Also, the pace is important. Typically, you want to slow your pace as you pick up your long run mileage, planning to end your training longs at least a couple minutes/mile slower than goal pace at age 56. Add 30-60 second walk breaks every mile if you have to; it won't hurt your progress. I certainly would not run 9 milers at tempo pace or anything near, since those are based on 10k pace.

I'm willing to bet it's just a little rust from a change to your usual regimen, and it may also be related to your activities during down-time. Do you have to spend a lot of time driving, or in chairs? It can throw off the tone of your Core muscles so the hips are strained during longer endurance training.

Before going much further with the actual running, I would recommend some hip abduction and extension exercises to build up the Glutes around the hip joint. Your Hip Flexors could also be tight from sitting with them in a shortened position. This creeps up on people in a cumulative way as they age, and you can see the results as people stoop a little more when walking. It is best countered by staying out of seats and finding activities that use your Core (lower back, trunk, pelvic) muscles to better advantage. Also, do rowing exercises and prone neck retractions to get the head back over the shoulders. All this and your running should be easier and more productive after a few months.

Lay on, and roll, a tennis ball into the areas around the hip socket to release the Hip Rotators and overworked Gluteals. This helps to complement exercises that can leave the muscles tight and ischemic.

I hope there is time to make some changes before your Half comes up. If not, you are right to be skeptical about your possible success. There should be plenty of time to cross-train for a few months and train for a Spring Half.

• QincyNL Amateur 10 posts since
    Aug 31, 2009
    3. Jan 19, 2013 8:37 PM (in response to Terry Yochum)
    Hip Problems

I think it would come down to having someone feel the muscle of the area to see if they are the main cause or not, because they will be the easiest thing to fix and least invasive.  Here a good video to feel at least the regions of the lateral and posterior.

http://www.p2sportscare.com/pain-relief-huntington-beach-ca/how-can-this-help-my-injury/gluteus-medius-pain-with-running-iliac-crest-origin/

Other than that imaging would help reveal any "serious" issues

Good Luck

• kenvin Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 27, 2013
    4. Jan 27, 2013 8:48 PM (in response to Terry Yochum)
    Hip Problems

your hip joint and to find a checklist of symptoms so you can tell whether your pain is coming from your hip, your groin (which can often be a sign of problems with the hip joint), your leg or your back. You can also learn about the causes of common hip problems such as hip impingement, labral tears, articular cartilage injuries, loose bodies and snapping hip syndrome. Be prepared before you visit your doctor, and read about different treatment options that might be recommended to relieve your hip pain.

kindle fire reviews - computer news

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points