Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

676335 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 309 310 311 312 313 ... 327 Previous Next
  • linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,650. Dec 25, 2012 8:45 AM (in response to mkayc)
    My last run was...how was yours?

mkayc:  hope you feel better soon.  Be patient, the mileage will come back in time for Spring races.  good luck with daughter and mom and hope you all have a Merry Christmas.  How about our Bengals in the playoffs now for the 3rd time in last 4 years?  If only they could win in the first round, that would be a great Christmas present!

coyote:  glad to hear that mrs coyote doing better.  must be tough not knowing how it all started and why it is seemingly better now.  Hope the two of you can figure out what the right thing is for both of you moving forward.  The pic was from Broomfield on a trail near the water tower overlooking Stearns Lake and the Boulder Valley.  I haven't run Mesa Trail but plan to do that in coming year.  Have run Dowdy Draw and there are some unbelievable views!  Still planning the Quicker Quaker next month?  Won't be able to keep up with you but would be good to finally meet.

debm:  way to keep pounding out the runs.

melody:  very nice 10 miles!  Remember when 10 miles seemed like forever and now it's just a regular weekend run!  Way to go.

White Christmas here in CO.  Hope to get out for a run in the snow later today.

Merry Christmas to all!

Be fearless...

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,651. Dec 25, 2012 12:04 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 27 min. Time to start eating.

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,652. Dec 25, 2012 12:55 PM (in response to NHLA)

Merry Christmas! Took the dogs for a Christmas run – 3.3 miles in 31 minutes.  Apparently they slow me down.  We actually had some snow last evening that covered the grass and looked beautiful for a few hours.  Today it is sunny and in 40's.  Santa brought me a pasta attachment for my KitchenAid and some semolina flour – fresh pasta and shrimp for dinner!  Today I am counting all my blessings – health, comforts, family, and friends, including all of you .  Peace and health to all!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,653. Dec 25, 2012 1:39 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

MaryKay - thanks for the good word.

Francessmom - I can eat me some fresh pasta!

linuscatch - Stearns Lake, I should have recognized it. Or rather, I did recognize it but couldn't place it.. I used to bicycle up there with my fishing rod and go for perch and bluegill. I am registered for the Quicker Quaker (only 20 dollars for no shirt) and am looking forward to it.

North Table Christmas 2012.JPG

The view from the top of North Table Mountain, looking towards Golden Gate Canyon

12-25-12-1.JPG

Following the coyote tracks

I had the privilege of running  2 hours in this today, people. In much of it I was breaking trail. This was the best Christmas present I've ever given myself. 12 degrees, sun so bright it hurts, no wind to speak of, it was about as perfect a day for running as I've ever seen. I had to slow down at times to avoid overheating, but I had the right layers, and IR heating from solar radiation is pretty intense at this elevation. Fact, I saw melting on south facing slopes. Snow

melting at 20 degrees below freezing? That's some fierce sunlight

.12-25-12-7.JPG

This is looking down at "Coors Valley" - the largest brewery complex in the US

Merry Christmas!

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,654. Dec 25, 2012 5:22 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

16 degrees, bright sunshine, no wind, snow covered streets, 4.85 miles.

coyote:  gorgeous photos, thanks for sharing.  And good luck with the job search.

nhla:  hope you enjoyed the eats...

francessmom:  just realized you are from my old stomping grounds.  Been thinking about the RNR HM in Philly next year.  How was the course?  I did the Runner's World HM in Bethlehem in Oct and it was very hilly so looking for something flatter and friendlier.

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,655. Dec 26, 2012 7:43 AM (in response to linuscatch)

Wonderful pictures, Old Coyote! Sounds like a great run, too!

The pasta turned out great after we made a huge mess!  We have lots of leftovers, but the kids said it was the best pasta they ever had which is good since we will be eating it for days.

Linus - RNR Phillie was very flat and very fast.  Start is at Art Museum, quick loop towards Penns Landing, then back to Art Museum and run along West River Drive and Kelly Drive.  Lots of water, Gatorade stations, one or two Gu stops and some great bands.  I am thinking about doing it again.

Today, DH and I are headed to Northeast, MD on the Chesapeake Bay for a quick holiday from the kids.  No run for me - maybe later tomorrow.  Happy running everyone!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4,656. Dec 26, 2012 8:44 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I'm enjoying the nice temps in AZ finally.  So nice to be able to run outside any time of the day.  My senior dog has also been enjoying the weather and has been holding 8 minute miles with me!  She can't really see too much anymore but she's just happy to be out and running.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,657. Dec 26, 2012 12:33 PM (in response to Julie Ann Hackett)

I ran a strong 3.5 miles on Christmas morning (after several Christmas cookies and 2/3 of a dark chocolate candy bar made my stomach do flip flops, luckily all was well).  Another strong 4 miles this morning. It was very cold today at about 16 degrees, but I (like Old Coyote) was dressed for it and enjoyed the quiet snow covered country roads. Tomorrow we drive 3 hours into a winter storm for my MIL's memorial. Fingers crossed we make it in one piece! Six hours on the road means no run for me.

Debm2011 Merry Christmas! I hope you had a white one.

linuscatch Beautiful words from Avery's folks...they are great words to live/run by. Thanks, re: " Remember when 10 miles seemed like forever and now it's just a regular weekend run!" YES! I love that.

NHLA 57 minutes on "Worst hill in the county"?!? You are amazing!

Old Coyote So heart wrenching about the Mrs. although it's good there is progress. Keep running and allow that to ease your heart. ((Hugs)) The photos from your Christmas morning run are GORGEOUS! Thanks for bringing us along.

mkayc At least you are on the mend...slowly but surely. Hang in there, girl!

Francessmom Who hoo for pasta AND all those beautiful blessings! Amen.

Julie Ann Hackett Hi! I love that your old dog is keeping pace with you and that you are bringing her along. Thanks for that.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,658. Dec 26, 2012 1:34 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Haven't had time to log on lately, but I did read all the posts today. Wow. There are some "Weather-be-damned" people in here. I got some cold-weather clothing for my Christmas gifts, but with the "Exchange Day" shopping today and clearing out the house, no run outside to test any of it. We did have a very nice Christmas, with the highlights being my grandson and granddaughter, of course, but all the family being healthy and together made it a beautiful day. I hope you all had some special thing that made your Christmas a very nice one.

Got in a 5-mile progressive run on the TM Sunday night after work (37:28), and a 4-mile tempo run yesterday before guests arrived (28:45). Felt OK on both runs. Speed work tonight.

Linus.... It was great to hear from you. I instantly added Avery's mother's quote to my motivational quotes list. And I'm glad to see you made it back from Afghanistan safely. And thanks to both you and Coyote for the pics.

Coyote..... What do you wear on your feet for running in the snow? (I guess I'm always looking for an excuse not to run in the cold/snow.)

Mkay... Best wishes for the entire family's recovery.

Melody and DebM..... Be safe in the storm. We're supposed to get a foot, maybe a little more.

Francessmom.... Plenty of pasta to carbo-load with for your runs!!!

NHLA.... Your year-to-date total is amazing. Great going!!!

Everyone have nice days.

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,659. Dec 26, 2012 4:33 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I have a 5 mile New Years Day run next Tuesday and decided to test running at colder temps; it was 15 this morning when I ran 3 miles on the river walk in town.  I wore running tights with 'wind pants' over them, plus an under armor cold weather tech shirt and another long sleeve shirt over that, with light wind/rain jacket as the third layer.  Of course the balaclave plus stocking cap to keep the bald head warm.  all that was a little too much by the end of the run, so I may have to make an adjustment for 1/1/13.

You have all been doing amazing runs. Kudos especially to OldCoyote and NHLA, but this entire group is an inspiration.  Looking forward to more great runs in 2013.  Run strong and safe friends.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,660. Dec 26, 2012 4:35 PM (in response to Julie Ann Hackett)

Hi everyone!  Been a few days since last post. 

We are still waiting for 2nd grandbaby to make HER entrance into the world ........ a couple of false alarms. 

Since my 10 mile trail race on the 16th, I went home to northern AZ. 

I had to travel (driving) to NM for a couple of days for work and spent a day at home before heading back down to Phoenix.

Saturday, 22nd:  Had time to only run 5.5 miles on trail in PHX before it got dark, 59 minutes!!

23rd, Sunday: 10.1 miles on trail with pretty good inclines and rocky, 2:02.

24th, Monday: rested.

Christmas day, Tuesday: 10.2 miles on different trail with at least 5% degree incline for almost a mile, ran three of them without stopping, YAY!!  2:11.

Today, have baby watching duty ........... need to rest anyway. 

Daughter finally decided today is her LAST DAY of work ........ can you believe that?!?

Due date is SUNDAY!!!  She is SOOOO READY, LOL!!  Mommy and baby doing well.

Hi Julie:  I am in Phoenix due to reason above.  Where are you? And where do you run?

Trail runner

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,661. Dec 26, 2012 5:03 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

OC:  awesome photos!! thanks!!  I recognize the area.

Justrundan:  don't mind the cold but the wind can make a run miserable .......... been there, done that!!  Good Luck on the 5k!!  WOW!! 15 degrees......... brrrrr!!!

Linus:  good to hear from you!!

jmsab:  great times on your runs!!  grandkids make the holidays, don't they!!  We only have 1 but 2nd one is due 'any day!'

Melody:  you are amazing!!  I'm gonna have to make the switch from AZ to MN temps soon , brrrr!!

WISHING EVERYONE A VERY HEALTHY NEW YEAR, FILLED WITH PEACE AND KINDNESS

Trail runner

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,662. Dec 26, 2012 5:53 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

JulieAnn - nice to have a running partner

MelodyLea - Glad you could get out for a white Christmas

justrundan - Way to embrace the winter!

az2mn - Some nice runs in the desert.

jmsab - Yesterday I wore my new North Face shoes with calf-length wool socks and thin summer wicking socks over those, mostly to protect the wool socks from mud. The shoes aren't waterproof but I find I generate heat in my feet if I keep moving, and they were toasty, although damp. I've heard of people lining their shoes with bread bags for waterproofing , and I do own gaiters, but honestly the snow doesn't get that deep around here that often.

No run today, just didn't want to get behind in my reading

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,663. Dec 26, 2012 6:12 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

10 miles 1 hr 26 min. It stopped raining!!

az11  anticipation 

Got some lock laces ( same as speed laces but cheaper ) These things work great!!

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,664. Dec 26, 2012 7:32 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Did a speed workout tonight, following one set of core exercises. Did the crunches, but not the new lunge stretches. Ran a 2 -mile warmup, and then did a small ladder -- 3 x 200, 2 x 400, 800, 2 x 400, 4 x 200.

6.34 miles total, 53:53.   1,000 calories even.

Checked the YTD total -- 1,147 miles, and ballpark estimate for total calories -- 178,000.

Snow predictions on tonight's weather report -- 12-16" tonight/tomorrow before wind works its way in. They're predicting power outages. May get a chance to use my new PTEC headlamp I got for Christmas, which, by the way, explains how you guys can run at night. Man, oh man, is that thing bright. I tried it in back of the house the Christmas night and it lights up the whole back yard and into the woods!!

JustrunDan.... It must have taken you three times as long to get ready before/undressed after your run as it did for your run!! We want pictures!!!

Az2MN.... The grandkids were a treat. My 1-yr. old granddaughter was extremely cute in her dress/outfit, and 2 or 3 times when she heard some of the Christmas music started dancing, or swaying, or bobbing, to the music. Just standing in place grooving to the music.      Take your daughter out to eat for garlic-spicy Italian food. It worked for our first one who was two weeks late at the time.

Coyote.... Thanks. I remember when I was a kid we used to put our feet in bread bags before putting our old pea-green boots on to go out in the snow. I was wondering if you just didn't care about getting wet feet, or if you wore some extra protection.

Run happy, people.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...