Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

852 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2012 10:02 PM by RunDreamAchieve
JMatt813 Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 20, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 14, 2012 6:27 AM

Side Pain While Running?

Hi-I am new here and have a question...

I started running about 6 weeks ago and keep getting a pain in my right side. I can't figure out why! I stretch, eat about 90 minutes before my run (greek yogurt) and drink lots of water throughout my day.

Any advice?

Thanks!! 

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Dec 14, 2012 3:21 PM (in response to JMatt813)
    Re: Side Pain While Running?

Sounds like you might be getting side stitches, which are caused by eating too soon before a run.  The theory goes like this.  When you start running, your body focuses on fueling your muscles and in the process directs blood flow to those muscles.

In the meantime, if you've had something to eat, your body can't digest the food in your gut without the required blood flow.  So... you get a cramp, also called a side stitch.

Depending on what you've had to eat recently, (some things are harder to digest than others) your body takes at least 2 hours to empty your stomach..  

That's just one of a number of theories as to why we get side stitches, read here for more... http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/natural-medicine/home-remedies/home-remedies-for-side-pain.htm

Good luck!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    2. Dec 23, 2012 1:43 AM (in response to JMatt813)
    Side Pain While Running?

I was getting side stitches for a while and determined that mine were because I wasn't breathing right.  I run first thing in the morning so it definitely wasn't from eating first.  There are some articles about breathing on runnersworld.com that talk about deep breathing, almost like you're breathing from your stomach instead of your chest.  Once I started doing that the stitches went away.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Dec 27, 2012 2:17 PM (in response to JMatt813)
    Side Pain While Running?

I think the most likely causes are listed above and some also recommend saving fats and proteins until after running and only untilizing the fast-burning carbs prior to reduce the possibility of gas that can also cause side stitches.  Basically, I agree that breathing, diet and running technique are probably all related factors.  There are more compicated theories suggesting pursing of the lips on exhaling, exercises to place pressure on the right side prior to running, trying to exhale on the left foot and so on, but it is a common issue that really has different solutions on an individual basis.  The short answer is that there is stress on the digestive system, diaphram and liver in running, and the good news is the body eventually adjusts (overall in time) to the stress, so try a few changes to see if that helps and otherwise, just remember that your system is adapting to running. 

Hope this helps and best wishes

• RunDreamAchieve Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 29, 2012
    4. Dec 29, 2012 10:02 PM (in response to Jasko123)
    Side Pain While Running?

Hard to tell to be specific. It could be fluids you may have drank prior to the run. If you eat give yourself 2-3 hours before you go out for a run. If it is something very light like a few pretzels or a small cup of yogurt give yourself at the very least an hour. It is probably something minor, stretch well before and after your runs as well.

www.rundreamachieve.com

coaching services

Personal Bests: 2.19.35

Half-Marathon: 1.07.06

20 Miles: 1.44.05

10 Miles: 50.54

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points