Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

998141 Views 4,714 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 Go to original post 1 ... 307 308 309 310 311 ... 315 Previous Next
  • SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Debra:  Our hiking group is about 15 members of our bicycle club.  We park the bikes and hike before the snow comes and we can get out the snowshoes and cross-country skis.

I tried again to post a picture of our granddaughter, but again I got kicked offline when I clicked on the "Insert Image" icon.  Any ideas as to what the problem is?

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Hi everyone!! 

I hope everyone had a blessed and joyous holiday with family and friends!!  And hope Santa brought what you 'needed' ...........

After my 10 mile race on the 16th, I had to travel to NM for a couple of days for work. 

Came home for a day and had to drive back down to Phoenix on Saturday, another false alarm.

Just had enough time to run 5.5 miles before it got dark on trail, 59 minutes!

Sunday:  10.1 miles on rocky and a couple of good incline trail, 2:02.

Monday:  rested.

Tuesday, Christmas Day:  10.2 miles on different trail with at least 5% degree incline and I ran three of them without stopping, YAY!!  2:11.

today:  watching 1st grandbaby .......... much more fun!!  need a rest anyway.

Daughter's due date is SUNDAY and she finally decided TODAY is her last day of work!!!

She is SOOOO ready, LOL!!! 

So I am staying close and will not miss this grandbaby's entrance into the world.  Exciting!!

Take care and be safe and warm everyone!!

Trail runner

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

I have a 5 mile New Years Day run coming up so I figured I needed to brave the elements to prepare.  Most of my 'winter' outdoor running has been above 30 degrees. This morning it was 15 when I did 3 miles on the river walk in our town.  I may have overdressed slightly, so I'll have to make some adjustments depending on what the weather throws at us next Tuesday.

Debra- glad you didn't get hit too hard last week. It's nice that paths are mostly melted already. I'll be in Milwaukee February 7-9 when DW is at the state reading association convention. Last year it was warm enough to run along the lake front; we will see what February brings this year.

Run strong and safe into the New Year friends!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Dan~All the best with your 5 miler on NYD!  Hopefully we will be experiencing a February "thaw" when you visit MKE.  There is always the track at the Pettit Ice Center if the weather is bad or trails icy.  It is located at I-94 and 84th St., near the State Fair Grounds. The 400+ meter 2-lane indoor track surrounds the speed skating oval.  It's cold inside the center, but no wind.  Always something to watch:  figure skaters, hockey games, and Olympic speed skaters.  It's the only running track with a Zamboni crossing!

az2mn~Great to read you have been able to enjoy all the trail running.  I pray "labor day" goes easy-breezy for your daughter.  Can't wait to hear the news!

Steve~Thanks, I may check with my local REI about hiking groups.  I'm heading out for a trek on the ravines along Lake Michigan today with my sons.  Not sure about the photo posting issue.....have you tried a different browser (Mozilla Firefox, maybe)?

Ran a 6 mile tempo run at the indoor track last night.  I'm running a 5k on New Year's Eve as part of the winter running series.  To date, over 2000 folks have signed up!  Many more will sign up on race day depending on the weather.   Hopeful to come in under 30 minutes again!

Run strong, run bold into the New Year friends!

• urun2me Pro 194 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010

Best of luck to all on your New Years runs. Dress warmly, but not too warmly!!

I'm just trying to wrap up 2012. I noticed today that I've logged just under 1,100 miles this year. So of course I'm going to run it out the next few days to make sure I hit 1,100. My last injury was February so I'm also going to try and make it to February 2013 injury free. Since my marathon in November I don't think I've run more that eight miles at a time. Quality over quantity!

May 2013 bring wonderful experiences to all. Stay safe and stay strong!

Jan 20, 2010

Good Morning everyone!

Rest day today.

Yesterday, finally did a double run I have been wanting to do sometime this week. 

9.3 miles in the AM, 1:48.  Incorporated 45 seconds walk break after each mile on trail with a couple of steady long inclines, rocky and dirt packed.

4.1 miles in the PM just before sunset, 47 minutes with only one 30 seconds walk break at 2 miles.

Total of about 13.4 miles!!!  yippee!!

Thought about running 6 miles once legs started to feel better after 2 miles, but thunder and distant rain, slippery/muddy trail, pregnant daughter alone with napping 1st granddaughter, and left cell phone at the house ("it's only a short run") forced me to stick to my plan.

Slight soreness this morning but yoga stretches really helped!!

So far this week, about 38 miles!!

Can't imagine how long I might need to adapt to the winter conditions once back in MN but until then, getting in the mileage when I can!!

No snow during December just doesn't seem/feel 'right' but I it's nice to know I can be in the middle of it just 2 hours north of here.

Stay healthy, warm and strong everyone!!  You are my motivation!!  HAVE A GREAT DAY!!

Trail runner

Aug 2, 2010

az2mn~Happy you could get the double run in!

urun2me~1,100 miles - Nicely done!  Great you have stayed injury free, too!!!

Sleety-snow falling this morning, which helped to keep my 4 mile run pretty slow and cautious. Saw a lone coyote hunting for breakfast on the path.  It is still unique to see coyotes in the city.  They are getting used to people on the bike path, and don't take off into the wooded areas as they have in the past.  Returned home with a bit of pain in my shins.  Iced, elevated,and tabulated my mileage for the year on my Brooks Pure Flows.  At 375 miles it is definitely time for a new pair.  I usually get 500+ miles out of my Brooks Defyance. When I purchased the Flows at my LRS, the fitter mentioned to expect about 250 - 300 miles out of them.  A new version came out in November which I will try on, but I have been extremely happy with the original.  Maybe I'll choose one of the bright color combos!

Run strong, friends!

Jul 22, 2011

az2mn- Nice job on the double run!  Arizona is being very good to you.  Hang in there when you head back north!

urun2me- Excellent job on the 2012 miles!!  I've gotten in about 680 this year, and am happy with that, all things considered.  Now for some goal setting for 2013. 

Debra-great to see wildlife in the city.    I have a little over 400 on my Brooks Ghost4 shoes and am thinking I should replace them in the next month.  I sent you a PM with a few questions about the track at the Pettit Center.

Good luck to all as you run into 2013- may it be a year of new goals achieved and new friends made, all without injury!!  Run strong and safe friends.

notable 2012 runs:

2013 runs:

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Damn. I just checked the stats and I am five miles short of 700 miles for the year. It couldn't be something harder like 25. I feel like crap (DD's cold) but I've got give this a try. 

Steve - Nice Christmas! Mine was a struggle but could have been worse. Your problem is probably the browser. It's hard to use a diff one but easiest way is at your local library or Apple store.

Deb - so I just bought Yaktrax. Should I wait until we are completely snow-covered? I found my hiking group through Meetup. It's a national organization online with local organizers. There's no fee and it's really well supported here. That could vary according to cities, though. Good luck w your 5k!

Urun - 1100 mi. and injury free for a year! You have figured out how to do this right. That. Is . Awesome!!!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Aug 2, 2010

MaryKay~I prefer using the YakTraxs on at least 2 - 3 inches of packed snow.  For.me, they do not work as well on ice or bare pavement.  When we get snow the DPW does plow the bike trails, The plows actually compress the snow and it isn't too bad running on it with or without the YakTrax.  Thanks for the tip on Meetup! 

Ran the 3rd race of the Winter Running Series to benefit childhood cancer research with my older son.  The route was a tad over 5k at 3.17miles and the finish times were slower due to the crowds.  The route was run through our State Fair grounds.  It isn't very scenic, but a good spectator course.  The course was cleared of the recent snowfall, and only a few slushy puddle remained.  I woke up not feeling tip-top, a virus has been speading through our household, and too many nights of merry making during the holiday had left me a bit sluggish.  The weather was overcast, 25 degrees and a slight NW wind causing a windchill of 19 degrees.  Nice winter running actually, and it helped to have about 2000 runners to huddle with at the start.  Decided to just run the event as a training run, but that could have been my rationilization for not pushing it.  Ended up with negative splits which is a good thing, and took 1:24 off my time in this same race last year.  Always a great group of folks and a festive post-race atmosphere.  Runners received the traditonal post race goodies including THE best chocolate chip cookies, plus choice of either short/long sleeve tech or cotton t-shirt and commemorative 2012 and 2013 bottle of locally brewed beer/soda.  Total 2012 mileage after today's race was 839.76.  There had to be a missing quarter mile run during the year somewhere!!!

Happy New Year to the Mighty Masters!  May you have a 2013 filled with new PR's, no injuries and miles and miles of strong running!

Jul 22, 2011

First race of 2013 is in the books.  It was 5 degrees at race time, up 10 from the 5 below when I woke!!  I was able to persuade a slightly younger friend to run this with me, so we did the 5 miles together and the cold wasn't too much of a problem. It was run on dry streets except for about 1.5 miles on snowy paths.  I finished in 54:23, about where I expected for the little running I've done since the marathon.  Overall a very nice race and a great way to start the new year.  Now on to more serious training for the future races.

Run strong and safe in 2013 friends!

notable 2012 runs:

2013 runs:

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Aug 2, 2010

Dan~Great way to begin the New Year!  Congratulations on getting out there in the frigid temps.  It probably helped to have the sunshine yesterday, didn't it?  All the best on training for your spring races.  What training plan are you using for DCHM? 

Yesterday, ran an easy 4 miles to bring in 2013.   As Dan mentioned, it was cold in Wisconsin, and "colder" after our beloved Badgers lost the Rose Bowl.....again.  Celebrating my 2 year running anniversary with a 45 minute tempo run at the indoor track today.  When I read my journal from those first few weeks of c25k, I am amazed how far I've come.  Thank you to all on this thread for your encouragement, advice and the kick out the door when I needed it! 

Goals for 2013:

1. Run 2 Spring HMs and 2 Fall HMs.
    2. 10k under 1 hour.
    3. 1200 miles for the year.
    4. Be more consistent with strength/cross-training.
    5. Run 50 mile 5-person relay in October.
    6. Keep building a strong base to run a FM at age 57 in 2014.

Run strong friends!

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Debra:  I was hoping that the Badgers would win the Rose Bowl to add another Big 10 win to those of Michigan State (my wife's school) and Northwestern (my school, Go Cats!).  Otherwise, not a good bowl season for the conference (Purdue, Michigan and Nebraska).

Did my usual New Year's Eve (three miles) and New Year's Day (five miles) runs Monday and yesterday.  Unlike you hardy souls, I did not venture outdoors, preferring to bail to my warm health club (which was packed to the rafters both days).

I had just over 400 running miles in 2012, plus 90 hiking miles with my bike club group and another 40 of treadmill walking (hill intervals).  Not the higher totals that many of you racked up, but my finishing times were consistent with previous years.  I don't have any HMs before early May, so I can focus on core strengthening and hiking the hills in our area parks and forest preserves with my friends.

My wife made bean soup yesterday for us to have after we got home from the health club.  Started it in the slow cooker overnight and kept it on warm while we were gone.  A bit of molasses for sweetening, soooo good.  I think there's still some left.........

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009

Great goals for 2013 Debra and I cannot wait for you to run your Marathon in 2014!!

Like you and Steve, I did get out for 5 mile New Year's Day run, but like Steve it was in the warmth and in my case dryness of the gym! I will go out for a run in the rain, but not when it is literally pouring down rain all day long and cold to boot! So, I wimped and went to the gym, but I did get out in the dark cold world very early this morning for a 3 mile shake out run so not a total wimp! LOL

Happy New Year to all the Mighty Masters!!! We are an AWESOME group of people and I know we are going to have a wonderful 2013 running year!

Marie~ I do not know if you have already left for Disney World or not, but good luck to you and your daughter in the Goofy Challenge!!! I cannot imagine running a HM on Sat and then a FM on Sunday! YIKES!!! But, I am sure that you and your daughter will do it and do it well!!!!

I have a HM this weekend and one next weekend to kick off 2013! I have no idea how these runs will go. My Morton's Neuroma has been acting up for the past couple of weeks and it is still 4 months until I can get another injection in it. Sooo... the goal of these HM's will be a high level on the Fred Standard meter which is FUN!!!!! Fun no matter what the time or pace is what it takes to make it to the Fred Standards Meter! I have finally realized that the only way that I am ever going to be free of the pain from the MN is to have surgery and I really do not want to have surgery on my foot, but it may be my only way to run without pain, sometimes even walk without pain and to ever be able to wear a pair of heels again. Big decsion.

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

Jan 20, 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR my running friends!

It was a false alarm on the 30th (actual due date) which had me at the hospital from midnight till 2:30 am.

Constant contractions throughout the 31st, water finally broke around 11 pm.

Son-in-law and mother-in-law managed to get some sleep on hospital chairs.  I stayed awake, keeping daughter company as she tried to sleep while the world celebrated 2013!!

Finally, at 10:47 am, Isabella made a quiet entrance into the world on NEW YEAR'S DAY, 2013!!

8 lbs, 10 oz and 20 3/4 inches.

Daughter was calm and delivery was much less painful than the first grandbaby, YAY for epidural .

It was very emotional for all of us.

The gift of a healthy grandbaby is more than we could have wished for, and to share that glorious event on our 10th anniversary on NEW YEAR'S DAY!!

Daughter and baby Isabella are doing well and getting to know each other and big sister !!!

My husband flew in Saturday and we have been enjoying the warm temps of Phoenix anticipating Isabella's arrival. 

We are in awe of the wondrous beauty of winter in northern AZ now at our home before returning to our other home in the frigid conditions of MN!!

It's not so bad but I will miss running my trails.

I have not run since last week. 

Just reeling in the joy and gratitude of the events.

I don't make resolutions.

I do wish each of you a safe and healthy 2013 filled with joy, great adventures, peace and kindness.

Trail runner

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...