Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

676813 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 310 311 312 313 314 ... 327 Previous Next
  • jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,665. Dec 27, 2012 4:04 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

6.5 miles, 48:22 tempo run on TM. Snowfall (it's still snowing) about 10". Probably won't be doing any road runs for a while. Doctor had a lot of good things to say about my lifestyle/efforts today at my physical. Just waiting to hear about my bloodwork results.

NHLA.... Wife is planning our Myrtle Beach vacation for the end of April. Won't see any of your terrain in that area, though.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,666. Dec 27, 2012 7:57 PM (in response to jmsab23)

Eat at the Parsons Table.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,667. Dec 27, 2012 9:10 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

jmsab - You're working hard for the off season!

NHLA - You, too! Glad it stopped raining.

6:15 pm. 15 degrees. I wore shoes, wool socks, another pair of socks, 2 pair compression shorts, tights. long sleeve shirt, vest, fleece top, hat, and gloves. Whew! I went out with Denver Trail Runners again. We did about 8 miles, I guess. 92 minutes, around Bear Creek Lake and Mt Carbon. I probably should have skipped the vest - my fleece was pretty wet from sweat by the end. Had to change clothes in my car to go to dinner. Not that I stink, but wet clothes are COLD if you're not moving!

Run Free!

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,668. Dec 27, 2012 9:46 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

coyote:  wish I was closer to a running group.  Sounds like a good way to train, especially in conditions that are not that conducive to getting out the door.  And wish my clothes did not stink when they get wet but after a long run the wife usually wants to kick me out of the house!  I will sign up for the QQ and then we can find a way to meet before/after. And with new shoes and back pack, no excuses!

jmsab:  great job with the offseason rigor...and always good to get a good report from the doc!

nhla:  sorry, but I lost my secret decoder ring for "Eat at the Parsons Table".  Please decipher...

az2mn:  thanks, it's good to be back with the group. Please send some of your AZ weather up here to CO!

julieann:  jealous of your weather...and your 8 m/m!

melodylea:  what a training machine you have become!  Hope your drive was uneventful and the memorial peaceful for all.

justrundan:  layers can be very complicated as it is hard to estimate how much your body will heat up during the run.  And I hear you with the need to cover the bald head!

mkayc:  how's it going with the family?  Who dey?

francessmom:  thanks for the race feedback.  Sounds like a definite for me for next year, especially with all my family and friends back there.

oshcat, snerb, nrdgirl, webpro:  haven't heard from you all, so hope you are doing well.  Say hey when you get a chance.

18 degrees, no sun, high humidity, medium breeze today made 5.5 miles feel like a HM.  Note to self: do not eat tuna for lunch before an afternoon run...tastes good the first time, but not the second, third, etc...

Starting to get back into a groove but need a goal so will pick that in next week or so.

Run strong, and be fearless!

Sep 18, 2011
    4,669. Dec 27, 2012 10:03 PM (in response to linuscatch)

debm:  any more runs over the holidays?  You did great this year.  Do you have a target race for 2013?

ogr:  did you enjoy the time in CO?  The altitude definitley takes some getting used to, but once you do, you would not want to leave.  The extra heat from the sun, and the lack of humidity far offset the drain from sweating incessantly at sea level.  Let me know if you get back out this way, as I only live 20 minutes from Boulder and we can get out for a run.

cklindsay: good to hear from you.  Don't know how you do it, running on a ship, or in port, but don't give up.  You are a runner!

chell:  what a great story you have to tell over the last year!  Phenomenal commitment and improvement.  Keep it up and go get 'em in 2013!

maureen:  good for you!  Keep working hard and you will continue to be amazed at the difference that running can make in your life!

degregorious:  stay warm out there in Chicago!  I enjoyed Chicago in August but don't know if I could handle the cold, humid wind in the Winter. 

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,671. Dec 28, 2012 7:24 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Good morning you all!

Rest day today.

Yesterday:  finally did my planned double run on different trails with pretty good steady inclines in the morning, rocky and packed dirt all the way; short inclines in the PM run!

9.3 miles in the morning, 1:48; incorporated 45 second walk break after every mile.

4.1 miles in the early evening before the sunset, 47 minutes; with one 30 second walk break at 2 miles.

Total of 13.4 miles!!  yippee! 

So far this week: about 38 miles

Could have run about 6 miles in the PM, legs feeling great especially on 'flatter' trail. 

With thunder and some light rain in the distance, beautiful view of a rainbow over the desert mts (wished I had my cell phone to take photo) did not want to get caught on muddy/slippery trail with pregnant daughter by herself with napping 1st grandbaby, and left my cell phone ("it's only a short run").

Some soreness this morning but some yoga stretches really helped!

Watching weather channel and missing the snow at home in northern AZ (just 2 hrs away), but can't beat the 'nicer' temps here in PHX.

Just doesn't 'FEEL' right to not see any snow in December!! but not complaining as I will be in it for months to come when back in MN

HAVE A SUPER DAY EVERYONE!!  Glad to hear all are doing well and staying motivated.  What a inspirational difference each of you make in my world!!!

Trail runner

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,672. Dec 28, 2012 4:44 PM (in response to az2mn)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

It was a very long day yesterday, diving 3 hours to Brooklyn in a storm, hosting (a beautiful) memorial for my mother in law, and then driving the 3 hours home. It was well worth it though, the memorial was great! Today I woke up SO tired, but suited up in all my many layers and got a nice 3.5 mile run in. It was very cold (16 degrees) but didn't feel too bad and certainly shook the "cobwebs" out. Today's run gives me 21 miles this week. Yay.

jmsab23 Nice TM work and awesome speed work! I hope the blood results are great too.

justrundan Nice layering. Yes, I'd drop the extra long sleeve and just do the UA and the wind jacket.

az2mn Beautiful AZ running! Sounds great and I love that you did a double run! Very nice. Cant wait to hear about the new baby girl's entrance to our world.

NHLA Thanks for the lock lace advice!

Old Coyote Nice long cold run! I hear you on the COLD from sweat. I absolutly have to change and shower after a winter run, otherwise I get so chilled.

linuscatch Thanks, re: the memorial and LOL re: tuna for lunch! Ick.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

Feb 23, 2012
    4,673. Dec 28, 2012 7:41 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.2 miles 55 min. Champion Hills.

mel that is a different kind of tired.

az great miles this week.

OC sounds cold.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,674. Dec 28, 2012 7:42 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

linuscatch - thanks for the quote from Avery's mom - it is so true.  Hugs to Avery's parents. 

Old Coyote - i love the pics - what glorious country!   I'm happy to hear Mrs. Coyote is making progress - but you are wise to attend to your own well being.  hugs to you too. 

MaryKay - "rest" is not a four letter word - so take it easy as long as you need and you will be good as new in no time. 

Francesmom  yummy pasta!  fresh is so much better than boxed.  now go find something to carboload for. 

Julie - what a great running partner you have!

MelodyLea - I'm sure the  tribute to MIL was worth the drive - what an emotional day that must have been.  <hugs>   We woke up to a dusting of snow on Christmas,but that counts as a White Christmas in my book!

jmsab - you've been getting some good workouts in!  "all the family being healthy and together made it a beautiful day"  <== so very true.    no real snow yet -we got rain (buckets full!) and sleet Thursday - calling for snow on Saturday but only a few inches.  yippee to the good physical.

dan - keep experimenting with the right mix of layers - somehow I always manage to either over- or under-dress.

az - so happy you got in some runs on your trails! hopefully that grandbaby will get here soon - perhaps she's just waiting to be first baby of the new year.

Coyote - I too love my wool knee socks on a cold winter day. LOL re:  bread bags - my mom put our feet in bread bags before putting on our boots when we were little.

NHLA - hallelujah to no more rain!

linus - no target race(s) picked yet.  I'd like to find a few 10ks and maybe another half. I'm starting the year off with a 5 mile race put on by a local running club.

No run Christmas Day - I hope my dog forgives me that I actually stayed in my pj's the whole day!  I was planning a run for 12/26 but my son begged me to stay home "let's do something together mom!"  When the teenager want to spend time with mom, mom doesn't run out the door.    Thursday was raining buckets so I called it another rest day.  This morning had some black ice on the sidewalks from Thurs night's sleet and, the recent fall still fresh in my memory, I went to the Y and hit the TM for the first time this season.  I just didn't want to risk  falling again.  I spent 30 minutes on the 'mill before I headed home.  TM runs are not my favorites but a run on the TM is still a run. 

I'm looking forward to another year of running "with" all of you!!

Sep 18, 2011
    4,675. Dec 29, 2012 1:40 PM (in response to Debm2011)

melodylea:  nice job on the weekly mileage!  Hope you got some rest after the long trip too.

nhla:  thanks for the clarification about "Parsons Table"...didn't catch that your original reference was in response to jmsab's upcoming trip.

debm:  will definitely give "hugs" to John and Vicki as soon as they get back from Hawaii.  Think I have talked myself into the Boulder HM on Apr 7...need a goal to get training back on track.

Went for a very slow 8 miles today trying to get my HR down.  Don't think I could run any slower than I did, but did not succeed keeping HR below 150 bpm.  Good news is the 1275 calories burned and a lot of time to get some thinking done.  Even though it was 26 degrees, with no sun again, it felt much colder.

Decided to get myself a 90 minute massage for XMas and to celebrate 1184 miles for the year.  I signed up for the kind that will probably hurt, but thinking that can get some of the kinks worked out.  Then DW and I are going to yoga tomorrow.  Never had to do all this therapy 20 years ago!

Run safe, stay warm and be fearless.  Happy New Year's to all.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,676. Dec 29, 2012 2:27 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

linuscatch - Boulder Trail Runners has at least one run a day, various locations. http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/BoulderTrailRunners . It's hard to run slowly sometimes.

az2mn - Glad you're enjoying the sun.

debm - I broke down and got an ID card for the local rec center. I may have to do some TM running this season.

25 degrees and sunny. Headed out the door for a 10 miler, but at the turnaround I still felt fresh so it turned into 13.5. I wore a long sleeve top and a vest (as well as the rest of my gear) and it was probably about right. A fleece vest would have better than a wind vest, but it worked. I was chilly pretty much the whole time, which was my goal b/c I didn't want to get too wet. 2 hours 5 minutes. Got home, took a long, HOT shower, grabbed some luncgh, and I think I'll take a nap.

I saw a 20 something guy walking on the lake, kicking at the ice with his boots. That ice is NEVER safe, it just doesn't stay cold long enough, plus the water is always moving through the lake back to the creek. Here is the conversation

Me: That's not the smartest thing I've seen today.

Him: Well, neither is running in the cold, a-hole!

Me: You sound fat.

Him: (in a voice that makes it apparent he owns a black F350 with a 17" lift, a Harley, and a 35 foot ski boat [in a landlocked state] because he's "compensating") You sound like you need your *** kicked!"

Me: I'll be right on this trail here, eastbound. Come get me when you're ready.

Him: I've got better things to do today.

Me: Happy New Year! Hope you have a great day!

Run free!

Feb 23, 2012
    4,677. Dec 29, 2012 3:28 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

10 miles 1 hr 38 min. Lake Summit. This road feels like running on sand. There were 15 cars in the lot and every runner went around the lake counter clockwise. 

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,678. Dec 30, 2012 8:36 AM (in response to NHLA)

Sounds like most of us had some sort of wintery weather to deal with.  We had 2-3 inches of snow yesterday.  Deep freeze overnight.  Today winds are gusting to 40 mph.  I did manage a dogwalk/run on Thursday.  Today I ran 3.8 in 31 minutes.  Although the temp was around 30, I knew I needed to bundle up for the wind.  I decided to run without my glasses so that I could cover my face with steaming them up. Lots of black ice and the wind was brutal.  My eyes watered the entire run but  I was warm and it felt good to get out.

I have a question - I tried to figure my mileage for the year.  I must admit that I don't always log my runs.  However, in the spring I did a HM training for 12 weeks and faithfully logged my workouts.  This was a program from Active.com. I can't find those workouts anywhere!  I also use MapMyRun.  They changed their site sometime this past year and all my maps and workouts were lost.  I do have MMR workouts starting in September.  I have been remapping my runs and logging them on MMR.  What programs or sites do you use to keep track? Any recommendations for keeping track in 2013?  I do not have a smart phone and don't wear Nike shoes.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,679. Dec 30, 2012 8:55 AM (in response to Francessmom)

With over a foot of snow on the ground, I ran the snow blower up and down our long-steep driveway. That was pretty good cross training today, me thinks!   I opted to save my next run for tomorrow, however, it is going to be SO cold! With the expected wind chills it will be about 2 degrees. Believe me, if I had a TM I'd be on it, but alas, no TM for me. So, I need to plan out my running gear carefully!!

NHLA *High Fives* as you speed past me (going counter clockwise).

Debm2011 The memorial for my MIL WAS worth the drive, for sure. "When the teenager want to spend time with mom, mom doesn't run out the door" <~ Amen to that!

linuscatch I love being able to say stuff like that: 1275 calories burned. Enjoy the massage!

Old Coyote Nice long run.  I'm glad you and Mr. Smart A_ _ didnt get into it!

Francessmom I'm totally "old school" with tracking my mileage. I log my runs on my Google calendar, but everything else is measured via my little red pickup truck and timed with a Timex watch! LOL  So I'm no help in answering your question. Good on you for getting "out in it"!  By the way, I find that if I put my glasses on over the balaclava (so the fabric is under the glasses frame) the glasses don't steam up.

Happy New Year!!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...