Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

641329 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 311 312 313 314 315 ... 327 Previous Next
  • linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,680. Dec 30, 2012 10:03 AM (in response to Francessmom)
    My last run was...how was yours?

francessmom: I use a Garmin watch with HRM that I bought at Costco.  They have a similar one on their website www.costco.com for $159 including HRM.  Wirelessly downloads all the data from your run to their website and then you can analyze all the data you could ever imagine.  At first it is daunting because their is so much info but you can quickly figure out what you want to see.  They also have an app for your phone that synchronizes with your account.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,681. Dec 30, 2012 11:23 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

Francesmom - i love mapmyrun because sometimes my smartphone app is,well, wrong.  I used to log my workouts on Active but they discontinued that feature so I moved my log to Runners World.  It's a free log and I actually like it better. 

OldCoyote - why don't people ever accept what's offered graciously?  Because you know if he'd fallen through the ice, he would have complained "nobody warned me"  Still, I'm glad you didn't have to kick his @$$ in self-defense. 

We got several inches of snow last night - it came up over my hiking boots (4-5 inches maybe?).  Walked to church and back (about 1/2 mile each way) then spent 1.5 hours shoveling wet, heavy snow. I was going to head to the Y but might just let all that shoveling count as "cross-training". 

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,682. Dec 30, 2012 1:53 PM (in response to Debm2011)

So I managed to run outside this morning on black ice and snow without falling.  Came home and posted on this forum.  Then fell down the basement steps!

My feet slipped out from under me and I landed on my left glute and my left wrist.  Nice big ugly bruises and I feel pretty sore.  It hurts to sit! 

Deb - I love MapMy Run - I use it to log all my workouts - yoga, zumba, dog walks, etc.  They have a nice way of calcualting calories burned.  And everything is listed on the My Workouts Calender with weekly totals.  I just worry that if they redo the site again all my data will be lost again.

Melody - Sounds like snow removal is the cross training workout of the week!  I used to use a spreadsheet to track mileage, but I got a new computer and didn't move over the file.  I will try the glasses over the scarf.  Our temps here are nothing compared to 2 degrees!  Yikes!  Stay warm!

Linus - I've looked at gps type devices.  I am not a huge tech person. But I may consider something like that.  I have a birthday in febuary.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,683. Dec 30, 2012 3:55 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7.2 miles 60 min. Cold.

I fell on the ice thurs. and back is still stiff. Not much pain I'm just not flexible.

GPS doesn't work here. You lose signal.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,684. Dec 30, 2012 4:58 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA - In Australia the tracks go clockwise

Francessmom - I use Runner's World's log, too. It is exportable to a spreadsheet. Yikes! Careful on the stairs

melodylea - Stay warm!

DebM - I'd say that counts as a workout

Linuscatch - I just today realized QQ is on a Saturday. I was thisclose to being a day late for the race...

By the way, everyone - Coyotes avoid conflict with other, larger predators by running. Although if it came down to it, I can kick pretty hard!

Plan today was park the car at the rec center, go run 30 minutes, and then hit the hot tub. When I got there the wind had picked up and I wimped out so I did a TM run. Sweated like a racehorse. I SHOULD have run in the wind! Anyway, 3.6 miles 33:30. 2% grade setting to simulate wind resistance.Then I showered and made the circuit of steam room, sauna, and spa. Nice...

Tomorrow I plan to hit the trail about 11:15 pm and be on top of Castle Rock by midnight, count down, and run back home. I may need to take a nap, as I''m really night a night person

Run Free!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,685. Dec 30, 2012 6:10 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

FranMom, i swear by my Iphone so not much help. I also use a Motoactv but a Garmin or Timex can do the same, keep track of each run and upload. It's great time to start! I just checked the stats and I am five miles short of 700 m for the year. It couldn't be something harder like 25. I feel like crap but I've got give this a try. You are Sooo fast!! I am impressed!!

You guys' talk about meeting up at the Philly RnR made me spend the last 24 hrs mapping races onto my calendar bc the AF HM registration opens Tues and guess what? It's 6 days after the Philly RnR. But, I think I can do it and running Philly in September will free up the Nov. 24th weekend for the Route 66 HM. My original plan was to run the MCM bc I really want a medal from the Marine Corps Marathon but Scott advised against running two fulls in one year and I'm going to train for the full pig. Ew, that makes me nervous just writing it. But, realistically if I don't make the full this spring, I will still have Detroit, Columbus or Chicago in the fall. The MCM will sell out.

Linus - Bengals just keep getting lucky. At least they aren't the Iigles!

OC - re: your invite to the dunce, I don't understand men. I'd have been happy knowing he could fall in once I'd warned him if he talked to me that way. Glad he wasn't crazy enough to come after you. Are you still trying to run every day? My Dad used to wrap his feet in bread bags before putting on his boots and I never understood. It seemed to me like the plastic would make his feet sweat and he'd be slip sliding around in his own cold wet sweat. Re: attire, do you find you "feel" colder at the same temp when the sun is not out

Julie, you are fast, no?

Mel, your memorial sounds wonderful! So glad the weather didn't interfere!!

Jm, great runs as usual!

Dan, a practice run at 15 degrees? Good for you planning ahead!

Az, your post made me laugh. It started out sounding like a traditional Catholic confession. They taught us to start by saying, "Bless me Father, for I have sinned and it has been ___days since my last confession."

You are logging some great trail runs!!

NHLA- steady Freddy. Sorry about your fall! Was wondering about lock laces as I stopped twice on last run. Thanks for that! when is the snow too deep to run in sneakers? I bought Yaktrax but am thinking the shoes are still going to get really wet.

Hoping to hear from everyone else sooner or later.

Run Strong and fierce!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Feb 23, 2012
    4,686. Dec 30, 2012 9:15 PM (in response to mkayc)

When the snow gets deep (8" or more) I wear my Lowa's and waterproof socks. Football field is a good place to run in the snow.

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,687. Dec 31, 2012 8:31 AM (in response to NHLA)

No run for me today.  I kind of ache all over.    

I have used lock laces while doing triathlons for the easy-on aspect.  But I love them for running too.  You can order online or the New Balance Store near me has them or a similar version a bit less expensive.  They also work well in kids shoes. 

Mary Kay - Where do you live?  AF HM is in Dayton.  I would love to meet up with you and Linus or anyone who races in/ near Philly.  I am definitely going to do the RNR HM provided I remain injury free.  I hope you were able to get in the last 5 miles today.

Coyote - What a fantastic way to welcome the new year.   But, PLEASE, don't fall off any fiscal cliffs!

NHLA - I googled Lowa's, they look like hikers.  Are they waterproof and good for running in?

Happy New Year, Runners!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    4,688. Dec 31, 2012 8:47 AM (in response to Francessmom)

Hello my friends! I've been off the board for a while now, but not off the pavement. I did have to take a 2 week break after a minor surgery in early December, but I've been back and getting some runs in. I was in northern California last week, celebrating Christmas with my family. It was an awesome time. I even got a couple of runs in, one with my eldest sister who is doing the C25K program. I told her I'd come back to run her first 5k with her. She actually did over 5 miles on the treadmill and was so proud when I told her she'd practically run a 10k, twice the distance she's training for!  I'm so proud of her.

I haven't read through the pages and know I've missed a lot, but I wanted to stop by to wish you all a Happy New Year. For all of the good and bad I've personally experienced this year, 2012 was a truly amazing year. I'm so thankful to God for this board, as being a part of this; having your encouragement, motivation and inspiration was a big part of my running success. I really appreciate each of you and look forward to sharing more about my running successes/failures/frustrations and reading about and encouraging you through yours. May 2013 be your best year yet. Virtual hugs to each of you. Cheers!

Oh and Happy running.

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,689. Dec 31, 2012 10:03 AM (in response to NRDgirl)

This morning was my coldest run this season! It was about 7 degrees with the wind-chill, but I was dressed for it and was comfortable. My little dog had her red coat and "Musher's Wax" ointment on her feet since the roads were so salty-slushy. It was a good 3 miles, but my legs felt a little sluggish in the cold. My arms and shoulder are wonderfully sore from wrangling the snow-blower yesterday.

Francessmom Bummer about the fall! Dang. You're hurting from the fall, or getting sick??

Old Coyote That's so cool that you're doing a midnight run, what  great way to greet the new year!!

mkayc Hi girl! Wow, just thinking about two full marathons in one year is SO impressive. I love that you've mapped out your year with races.

NHLA Watch that ice and keep flying across the snow like you do.

NRDgirl **Waves** Your visit to Cali. sounds super. That's my old stomping grounds...I ran my only marathon in the redwoods about 30+ years ago. Kudos to your sis and good on you for supporting her!

Happy New year, team!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,690. Dec 31, 2012 11:41 AM (in response to MelodyLea)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

melodylea:  You are braver than me...no way am I running outdoors if it's 7 degrees no matter how many layers I have on!  I admire your commitment!

nrdgirl:  good to hear from you...and way to be there for your sis!

francessmom:  ouch!  Hope you feel better soon.

nhla:  see my comment to melody above...no way am I running in 8" of snow no matter what kind of gear I have!

mkayc:  700 miles for the year...very impressive especially considering some of the down time you have had this year.  Lucky or not, it's good to have the Bengals in the post season again.  Now if they can only win a postseason game...

coyote:  you are more clever than me with the idiot on the ice...wonder if he made it home or not?  Sounds like a good day at the gym yesterday.  Have a great run tonight.  Think it is a full moon, or close to it so should be very cool!

debm:  I think shoveling snow can be a better workout overall than running sometimes...as long as you don't get hurt.

90 minute massage on Saturday was awesome!  Think I will do that more often.  Went out for a short run yesterday morning but had no plan.  Given how badly my planned "slow" run went on Saturday, I decided to run fast - not nhla fast, or jmsab fast, or francessmom fast, but fast for me.  Ran 2 miles at 10k effort in a little over 18 minutes.  Then went to corepower yoga with DW and got a really good workout.  Was only my second time doing yoga, but I plan to make it a regular part of my routine in 2013.

Rest day today.  Happy New Years, all!

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,691. Dec 31, 2012 12:33 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Hello and Holiday Greetings to everyone!  I have been off of my usual schedule the last 2 weeks with all of the holiday visiting/running around etc but managed to get in a couple of treadmill runs so I know I'm not completely turning into a fluffball.  I'm participating in the "Dashing All the Weigh" challenge at my Y, which encourages participants to at a minimum maintain, but preferably lose, weight over the holidays.  Weigh out is the end of this week, I think I'll be ok.  I got on the scale when I got home from a long Christmas weekend at my parents' and had only gained 1.5 lbs, whew!

I'll be starting the New Year off with a fun 5k Color Run.  I bet I'm going to want to get through with it pretty quickly, the temps are going to be around 10 degrees with a 5-10 mph wind - BRR!!  I've planned some layers but don't want my 'good' running gear turned into a multi-colored mess.  The cold does not sound like any fun at all but I bet everything else will be fun, hopefully enough to make up for freezing!

Best Wishes to Everyone for a happy, healthy New Year!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

Apr 9, 2011
    4,692. Dec 31, 2012 12:59 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

linuscatch - from Boulder Trail Runners email:

Hey friends!

It's New Year's Eve!  Some of us will run anyway...

For this week's Monday Mellow Run we'll meet at the Marshall Mesa trail head at 6:30 p.m. for an easy-going, rolling run of about an hour.

The Marshall Mesa parking lot is near the corner of Eldorado Springs Rd. & CO93:

http://tinyurl. com/atvb9re

MaryK - I decided running every day is not good for this 49 year old man! But I have been getting in consistent 35-40 mile weeks. So far my wool socks have kept me warm enough. Wool stays warm when it's wet, and if the moisture gets bothersome I may line my shoes with duct tape. And yes, it is much colder when the sun is not out, but I've been out in the cold so much lately I'm getting well acclimated. Night runs help.

Francessmom - Don't worry, I won't get close to the edge. I'm mildly acrophobic. I do OK as long as I don't...look...down.

melodylea - Way to go in the frozen tundra! Getting ready for the Iditarod?

NRDGirl and OshCat - Good to hear from you!

Have a great New Year's Eve, all, and I'll report in tomorrow.

Feb 23, 2012
    4,693. Dec 31, 2012 3:48 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

10.5 miles 1 hr 30 min

Fran Lowa's are hikers but I can run in them. They make them with or without goretex. I choose without. The cabelas waterproof socks keep feet dry and I have gators.

Mel that's cold.

Apr 9, 2011
    4,694. Jan 1, 2013 12:32 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA - Gotta love Gore-Tex

Got out of the house a bit later than I'd hoped, but it turned out to be just in time. 34 minutes to the top of the Castle, arriving at 11:59. I saw the fireworks in Denver and Thornton, and reflections from a show west of Lookout Mountain. I shouted good riddance to 2012, had a little nip of Yukon Jack (appropriate for the weather!) and ran back. 6.33 miles, 68 minutes. It turns out there is a weather station pretty much at the trailhead, so I can say with confidence that it was 15 degrees, 93% humidity, and wind at 2 to 3 mph. The moon was 82% full, and the rocky trails were softened with snow. For a majority of the run I turned off my headlamp and just ran in the moonlight. THAT'S what being a coyote is all about! The first living creatures I saw this year were about a dozen mule deer, which is a much better way to start a year than surrounded by drunken humans . Happy New Year, runners, and Run Free!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...