Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

549 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2012 1:37 PM by PlaneGuy RSS
PlaneGuy Rookie 3 posts since
Dec 29, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 29, 2012 8:43 PM

Feeling Guilty

So usually my routine is as follows. Practice various soccer drills, run for 30 minutes, then lift weights for about 45 minutes. I usually do this every weekday and then Saturday, taking Sunday off. Because of the holidays, I've been missing a few days and am starting to feel guilty about missing. I'm worried it will end up like other things I've started and then ended. Normally, I would run longer but because of time restraints, I start at 5:30 and go until about 8:30 with my routine. But, because I'm missing these days, am I going to get out of shape and find it hard to be able to do what I used to be able to do?

• RunDreamAchieve Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 29, 2012
    1. Dec 29, 2012 9:32 PM (in response to PlaneGuy)
    Feeling Guilty

plane guy. Your feelings are normal but you have to start thinking long term. You are clearly motivated, otherwise you wouldnt even be asking this question. I have been involved with this sport for 21 years and know this very well, worry and doubt is a waste of your mental energy. Let go of it. You run a day, if you miss a day or two due to your schedule, then simply get back out the door when you can. If you have to get up at 4am to get a workout in because you have a meeting or something to do at 7, so be it. Dr. Joe Vigil, said it best, "there are 24 hours in a day, if you have a number of things that you have to do, compartmentalize them so you can do them all.

Is your goal mainly to run or soccer drills, lifting weights? Find out what has the most priority on your list and nail it. Hone in on where it is you have the most passion for in those three areas and lessen the lode on yourself. You will be more focused and less stressed..but you have to let go of the thoughts and concerns. Control what you can control. Hope this helps.

www.rundreamachieve.com

coaching services

Personal Bests: 2.19.35

Half-Marathon: 1.07.06

20 Miles: 1.44.05

10 Miles: 50.54

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,271 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Dec 31, 2012 9:03 AM (in response to PlaneGuy)
    Feeling Guilty

I wouldn't worry about missing occasional days.  Hopefully you are not doing the same weight routine every day.  You're better off alternating between, say, upper body, lower body, core, so you have recovery time between workouts for each muscle group.  You might also try doing a longer run a couple times a week - don't know what distance you cover in 30 minutes.  Longer runs will help your endurance late in the game.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points