Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9690 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2013 11:30 AM by PreciousBusterbird
edensacres Pro 197 posts since
Jun 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 1, 2013 9:56 AM

Winter Running - Just do it

I just wanted to post a note to anyone thinking about starting out.  Just do it!  Don't wait till the weather warms up, clears up, or whatever.  I was out for my thrid run in a week, my thrid run in the snow and I have to tell you they were awesome.  The temperatures ranged from 20 -30 degrees and there was 2-6 inches of snow (and sometimes slush) on the ground.  It wasbeautiful, I was comfortable and I wasnt dripping in sweat, or fighting sunscreen in my eyes.  Seriously folks, winter running is way better than summer running, and dryer than spring runs in the rains.  If you are thinking about starting, go for it don't wait!  You might just realize you like it too. 

And if you are curious, I was wearing capri pants under sweatpants (not cotton), a tank top under a wicking long underwear shirt, followed by a fleece (cheap walmart) pullover, cheap gloves, and a silk balaclava (one of those face mask hats that covers my head, ears and neck) and sunglasses- which keep the snowflakes out of my face.  After the first mile I was getting hot!    I stashed my gloves in my pockets and unzipped the neck of the pullover. 

Who else loves winter running? 

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    1. Jan 1, 2013 7:48 PM (in response to edensacres)

Well shoot, now I feel under-dressed.  I finished C25K about a month ago and have switched it up and started running 2 miles 6 days a week.  Right now where I am it is about -12 in the mornings when I go out...alright that's -12 C which translates to about 10 F so it's still pretty cold.  I do my Under Armour Cold Gear shirt with some shorts and a long sleeve running shirt that really doesn't count for anything because it's one of those polyester dri-fit type shirts that is super thin.  I top all that off with a pair of fleece gloves and a fleece hat.  As cold as it may feel the first time I walk out the door in the morning, I'll have worked up a pretty good sweat by the time I'm done.

That's something to keep in mind for starting C25K when it's cold.  It's very doable and for some it may make it easier than trying to do it in the heat of summer, just make sure you dress for the end of your workout and not the beginning.  Yeah, you'll probably feel cold the first time you step out side and for a while when you're doing your 5 minute warm up walk but you'll be sweating when you're done.  If you put on long johns with sweats and a sweatshirtshirt under a winter jacket, you could actually overheat.

Stephanie - where are you from?  I don't recognize any of the runs you've completed, but I am very familiar with the Flying Pig being from Cincinnati.

• quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    2. Jan 1, 2013 10:05 PM (in response to edensacres)

This is my first year of winter running. I finished C25k almost 3 years ago. Didn't run in the cold last year because well, it was cold . Now I love it! It hasn't been below 35 here but I'm only weird one running outside with shorts.

My gear includes a hat, long sleeve tech shirt, another shirt, shorts and gloves if it's windy.

• Kelly1066 Pro 133 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    3. Jan 2, 2013 11:53 AM (in response to edensacres)

I agree, running outdoors in the winter is way more awesome than I thought it would be!  Now I've started to scout out for snow-blown sidewalks when I'm driving around town so I can plan my running route accordingly.  The snowbanks and ice are the biggest deterrent, but if you have cleared trails or sidewalks then winter running is great because you can be outside and not be that cold!!!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• LeighDS Amateur 21 posts since
    Feb 11, 2012
    5. Jan 3, 2013 8:32 AM (in response to edensacres)

I don't mind winter running. I thought of a run this morning (-3 F) but decided to op out for tomorrow morning. I highly prefer spring, summer, & fall running over winter. The biggest issue with me is the start. I feel like I am inhaling a cold, steel knife. After about 10 minutes or so it isn't bad at all.

Finished Races

2010 Tanger Outlet 5K

2011 Tanger Outlet 5K

2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon

2012 Stonyfield Earth Day 5K

2012 Make-A-Wish Big Lake Half Marathon

2012 WOW' fest Trail 10K

2012 Tanger Outlet Fit For a Cure 5K

2012 I Survived The End of the Wolrd 4-Miler

Upcoming Races

TBD

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    6. Jan 3, 2013 6:30 PM (in response to edensacres)

I'm way happier working out outside in winter.  I always enjoyed skiing so long as I dressed for it, and having just (re) begun a running training program outdoors, I am loving being able to unzip or shed a layer or gloves as I warm up.  I used to always be cold but now that I'm older and (ahem!) fatter, I am also more frequently overwarm, than too cold.

Just did a couple of miles of fast walking (with my daughter who I think wants to start running soon), outdoors near sunset.  It was pretty cold starting out (about 34 F I think) but we were pleasantly warm on the last stretch.  I need to get some of those cheap stretchy gloves, I wore street gloves that aren't very warm, miss my fleece gloves. 

What I wore - capris, lowcut socks, sports bra, longsleeved poly and merino wool shirt, new Athleta jacket (my early b'day gift from my dear husband!), earmuffs and the cold gloves.  I feared (and my daughter wondered!) that I might feel the cold on my shins, but after a few yards they felt fine. 

Definitely give winter running a TRY at least.  It would be a shame to miss finding out that you love it!

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• hohgeorge Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 25, 2011
    7. Jan 4, 2013 9:26 AM (in response to edensacres)

Been off due to a pulled muscle (slipped while doing a short hike during lunch).  My first run since Dec 8 was this morning.  Temperature at -11 F at 0600 hours.  Wore Cold Gear tights, wool shirt and socks, Yaktrax on my shoes, light lined jacket, balaclava, beanie, and double gloves. Fingers were chilled until about 1.5 mile mark.  Lots of ice patches and packed snow.  Had a good run, but did not see any other runners this morning.  What's up with that!?

• Time_2_Run Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 10, 2012
    8. Jan 4, 2013 12:47 PM (in response to edensacres)

Wow!  I feel like a shmuck!!  I am def going to get for a cold (test) run!  I've been a BIG chicken and have spent plenty of time making up (what I think are) GREAT excuses for not getting outside to run.  You all have ruined it for me....  Loving it is the only hope I've got at this point.    Thanks for the encouragement!! 

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    9. Jan 5, 2013 7:26 PM (in response to Time_2_Run)

I don't mind winter running. The cold and the snow don't bother me, but I don't like to run in the dark. Even with proper reflective clothing and lighting, I've had more than my share of close calls.

I have to figure out where I can run that's safe. Right now I'm running one weekday and one weekend day.

I've been working out at the gym and riding my bike in the basement to make up (a little bit) for the two other days I'm not running.

I have a couple of options I'm going to check out this week.

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    10. Jan 5, 2013 8:26 PM (in response to Time_2_Run)

TaraDeVore - Just make sure you give it a chance.  If you haven't been running in the cold yet it may take a little getting used to...especially breathing i that cold air...but you get used to it.

• EvenKeel Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Jan 5, 2013 10:26 PM (in response to edensacres)

I always head for the treadmill in the winter and quickly lose interest.  Your post was just the incentive I needed as I begin my first season of outdoor winter runs.  I love trail running in the rain.  I'm sure the cold will have its own positives.  Tomorrow morning is my first expedition... I'm going to just do it.

• Time_2_Run Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 10, 2012
    12. Jan 7, 2013 9:41 AM (in response to edensacres)

Update:  So, I was inspired by this thread and headed out into the cold on Sat.  I ran to my gym, a half mile of which was on a trail covered by 4 or 5 inches of snow.  Against my judgement, I didn't stop - just watched my footing and slowed down a bit.  It was amazing!!  Sunday, I ran again and the first couple of miles it snowed!  Beautiful!!  My running gloves (a xmas present) and my new swiftwick socks (they are AWESOME!!) was really all I needed.  Thanks all for the inspiration!  rb77 - some of my most memorable runs have been in the dark.  I run in my quiet development and I love it!!  Sorry to hear that you've had close calls. 

• beachskirun Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 30, 2010
    13. Jan 8, 2013 2:52 PM (in response to edensacres)

This is my first post in quite awhile....but just had to!  I do so much better in the cold...in fact just this Dec hit my PR for 5k.  I am amazed how much i like it.  Even though I love to ski  I have always called myself a weather wimp.  Unless I am dressedfor it I'm freezing.  But running in the cold is different.  Only took one cold run a few yrs ago to learn i didnt need that much.  I also think it has helped me stay healthier...something about breathing that cold air ...must kill the germs and help build immunity.

And as for running in dark...i do it all winter.  Being so not a morning person i run at night a couple of nights a week.  I am cautious to stay in well lit and fairly populated streets.  I did recently start to carry mace.

And until i star tree d running in 2010 i truly never appreciated the "just do it" mentality...but there are no better words!

"You can not have results and excuses, you must chose"

First 5k 10/2/10; 38:59 ~ had to walk some in the middle

Sec 5k 10/30/10; 40:16 ~ was able to run whole race but slowed time

Third 5k 12/11/10; 37:17 ~ third time was the charm ~ not feeling quite as much like a newbie.

5/21/11; 5k 38:39 (tough course)

12/10/11; 5k 35:55

4/14/12; 5k 36:10

July= 2yr mark...can't call myself a newbie anymore...need to get real

12/8/12 5k; race time 32:12; chip time 31:50 PR

3/24/13 Ocean Drive 5k; Sea Isle NJ

4/7/13 AC Shore Memorial 7k; AC NJ

Goal this year: 10k!!!! Run the Bridge, Phila Pa

• PreciousBusterbird Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 16, 2009
    14. Jan 9, 2013 11:30 AM (in response to edensacres)
    Re: Winter Running - Just do it

Hi all - I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said about running in the winter--I LOVE it!

During non-Winter, I run almost exclusively on trails, and in winter, that's not an option, as they are ski trails (groomed) and I don't want to wreck the grooming. So I use paved trails, which they plow very nicely.

What has kept me happiest are two things:

1. Dress properly (have the right gear!)
    2. Hydrate more than you think you need (so easy to forget cuz the sweat doesn't pour off - it just evaporates)

Active.com had a great article with a guide of what you should wear in what temperature. I have it printed for work and home, so I don't have to think about it - I just put on the recommended outfit and I'm good to go. Here's a link to that article:http://www.active.com/running/Articles/3-Tips-for-Training-in-the-Cold

They didn't have recommendations for below 0 F, so I added my own:

• Thin base layer tights/long underwear - if wearing two layers
    • Second bottom layer (I use running pants or a fleecy tight with wind protection - depends on wind & temp)
    • Long sleeve base layer - but a slightly thicker base layer
    • Jacket (with wind protection & zip all the way up)
    • Thin gloves under thin wind protection mittens
    • Thermal head band and maybe a hat too - depends on wind and temp
    • Glasses or goggles, especially if windy
    • If below -10 F or really windy,  add face mask - not so pleasant, but saves you from frostbite

Get out there and ENJOY! :-)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...