Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

716981 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 312 313 314 315 316 ... 327 Previous Next
  • jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,695. Jan 1, 2013 6:08 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Computer issues again for the past couple days. Different problem, but continued aggravation. Time to seriously look into a new one.   Got in a 3-miler and a full core workout Friday, took Sat/Sun off, then ran a 5k progressive run in under 22 minutes yesterday.     If conditions are near perfect Saturday, there's a 5k Winter Festival run about 30 miles from here. With that drive, though, the weather better be near ideal. We'll see.

Totaled 1160 running miles and 248 bike miles in 2012. Bike mileage improvement should be easy this year, but that may take time away from improving on my running total. Heck, nobody said it was easy, but this is a VERY good group to look to for inspiration.

Coyote.... That's great weekly mileage, especially in the conditions you run in. You have a different way of trying to get people to run with (or after) you.

Francessmom.... I use running-log.com to track my workouts. It's free, simple, and very easy. The site had a couple issues last year, but when it comes back up, all your info is still there.

Melody..... I agree with Linus. I, too, admire your commitment in that weather.

Linus.... If I had a 90-minute massage, I'd have to take their word for 45 minutes of it, because I'd have slept through that much.

Oshcat... Your colorful start to the New Year sounds cold, but very fun. Enjoy it.

Mkay.... Your schedule plan for this year sounds like some top U.S. ambassador official's, or even some president's, schedule!!!

NRDgirl.... Way to be the support for your sister!!!!! She is blessed to have such a close sister.

May the new year find you all in a very good place.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,696. Jan 1, 2013 10:45 AM (in response to jmsab23)

I ran a nice-strong 5 miles this morning (it was again pretty cold at 15 degrees). The roads were so quiet and empty with a gentle snow falling. Sweet way to greet 2013.

linuscatch Nice speed work and your massage sounds divine!

OshCat Can't wait to hear how your 5K Color Run goes. Brrr.

Old Coyote I adore how you greeted this new year!! Thank you for saluting 3013 like any great runner would. Adios to your rough times in 2012!!

NHLA yep...cold!

jmsab23 "1160 running miles and 248 bike miles in 2012" <~ Impressive!! Thanks, re: runnin' in the cold. I figure either get out and embrace the elements or become hostage to these New England winters.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,697. Jan 1, 2013 12:28 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Happy New Year!

Francesmom - take care of yourself!  I've come in second  to my basement stairs before too although I ended up in a boot for 12 weeks.  Good healing to you.

MaryKay - I hope you made the 700 miles AND that you're feeling better.  You're so brave going after a full!  I think half is where I'm going to stay for a while - I just need to pick one now.

NRDGirl - you're a great sister! 

MelodyLea - brrrrrr  I draw the line at those temps and will hit the dreaded TM instead - do you at least run in the daylight? I think that would make a huge difference.

linus - jealous of that massage!  I think I need to book one for myself.  My trail race in November started and ended with a complimentary massage from the race sponsor and I felt so decadent.  I am a yoga convert too  - just started last summer and love  love love it! 

OshCat - hope your color run was fun. Can't wait to hear about it.

OldCoyote - awesome way to ring in the new year!  Agreed  - mule deer must be way better than jack@$$es.  Put 2012 behind you and keep moving forward - literally and figuratively.

jmsab - great annual mileage.  It's all good so if biking supplants some running miles it's ok - just keep moving.

Ran the "Run Your Hangover Off" race this morning put on by a local running club. I'm not a member (yet? hmmm) but I do know one of their members.  All familiar territory - hilly course but some hills I'm very familiar with. The wind was fierce!   Temp about 35 but the windchill - brrrr  Started off with a woman (Dawn) running about my pace so we chatted a little. I walked the water station - she kept going, foregoing all water. Walked again when I got a stitch in my side (dang).  I managed to catch back up to her on the last hill and we chatted again.  Turns out she's headed in for cancer surgery tomorrow (after already doing a round of chemo) and wanted to get one last race in before she's sidelined for several  months.  Such strength and determination.    We  crossed the finish together at 55:45.  I had a good race and got a good dose of  perspective for the year too.

Remember - you will get out of 2013 only what you put in - so get out there, grab life by the horns, and be the best "you" that you can be. 

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,698. Jan 1, 2013 12:31 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Geared up for first run of 2013.  I planned to do 5 easy miles.  New Bose earbuds and mp3 player awaiting a test drive.  I am still sore from fall.  I have a huge step-shaped bruise on right gluteus maximus about 6 x2 inches.  I was lucky not to land on my tailbone for I surely would have broken it.  Left trapezoids also very tender.  Running was literally a pain in the a**!  But I figure increased blood flow to my muscles would speed healing. Two miles in I was ambushed by a ferocious peek-a-poo.  It attacked me from behind. Luckily I was wearing my Adidas track pants and  it chomped on them and not me.  As a dog lover, I refused to kick the monster.  I kept waiting for the owners to call it off.  After fleeing for 3 houses, a kind motorist honked his/her horn several times and scared the dog off.  I just kept running hoping the dog was not going to follow.  After 1/2 mile my heart was pounding from adrenaline.  I had to stop and walk for a few minutes.  I wanted to just go home sooo bad.  I was only a 5 minute walk from home, my muscles hurt and the dog encounter had shaken me.  I focused on calming my breathing and kept going.  Total 5 miles in 45 minutes.  Bose earbuds are awesome!  Having my msuic makes me run faster.

Coyote - What a fantastic run!  Truly part coyote!  We stayed home with 13 and 7 yr'old and had minor fireworks show of our own.

JM - It might not be your computer.  I think it is this site.  Great mileage considering how our busy lives can interfere with our running/biking time!

Melody - Your run sounds like what I wanted to do today.  I would gladly trade my mild weather for your low temps if I could experience such peace!

Peaceful runs to you all!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,699. Jan 1, 2013 4:43 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Happy 2013 to all my running friends!  What a great way to start the new year.  We had a very early dinner with friends and I was able to talk my friend into traveling to Madison for the 5 mile race on NYD.

The Fleet Feet New Years Day Dash was a 5 mile run, mostly through dry streets but probably 2 miles on icy trails.  It was 6 below when I got up this morning, but was up to 5 by race time @ 11.  minimal wind, fortunately.  The layers did their job, no real problem with the cold after the first mile and getting warmed up.  Finished in 54:23, which I was OK with given the minor amount of running I'd done since the marathon.

Have a great new year friends. Run safe and strong.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,700. Jan 1, 2013 5:14 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

8 miles 1 hr 24 min. 1600' up and 1600' down.

I am getting tired of trying to log in to this site. Think we could move to dailymile or runningahead?

• quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    4,701. Jan 1, 2013 9:37 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Happy New Year!

I've been slacking off, not running much and still no new shoes(gave up on my search). However, winter running has been great so far! It's fun starting out cold and warming up.

Anybody else still wearing shorts?

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,702. Jan 1, 2013 10:31 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hey All- Ive been a big baby. Enjoyed the holidays, ate a bit too much. Anyway, still made it to my Jan 1st race. 10k in 59minutes.

Photo: #1

Photo   I decided to wear my Morphsuit that I bought for Halloween. I figured, I have hats, and gloves and the baclava, but this suit has it all in one! And when else can I use this? I cant run at home with this on, because you cant see too well through it. Especially where the white paint is. So, why not wear it on this COLD race day? Turns out this was the first race where I heard them say, "As far as traffic control goes, you're pretty much on your own other than a couple signs out there" - Great. All in all, it was a really fun run. But now that Ive done the Skeleton suit, I probably wont run in it again. It isnt as warm as you might think. I did have a couple runners who wanted me to pose with them, so that was fun too.

Happy New Year All.

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,703. Jan 2, 2013 5:55 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Top o' the mornin' to ya. I ventured out into the cold yesterday and donned the snowshoes. Paraded around in the back woods for about 45 minutes, making trails down to the pond, up the north side of the property, and back along the south side rock wall. Also packed down a slide area in case we keep our grandson overnight this weekend (he's been sick lately, though). Hit the TM after that, 5 miles in 36:16.

JustrunDan.... Great job  on the 10k!!    In these temps, they'd need a calendar to time me in a 10k, because it'd take me about 5 or 6 more weeks before I left the starting line!!!

Melody... Is your running "pup-pal" still going out with you, even in the cold? Do you cover her with one of those doggie sweaters?

Debm.... Maybe more than a good dose of perspective for the year -- maybe for life. There are some very strong-willed and determined people out there whose stories inspire me often.     Nice start to the NewYear for you.

Jeff..... I didn't think you'd be very warm in that skeleton suit -- you're nothing but bones!!

Francessmom... Love all that BOSE equipment.

Igotwings.... Yes, I'm wearing shorts...................................for my treadmill runs.

Here's to Lucky '13.

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,704. Jan 2, 2013 6:15 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Happy New Year to all!  Long Entry for a short little race, sorry 'bout that.

New Year's Day dawned bright and clear, which made it also pretty darn COLD!  As I was eating ~ an hour before the run the weather guy said it was 2 degrees with wind chill making it feel like ~ -10, and I said 'oh crap' but geared up and went anyway.  I had double-layers of just about everything on and didn't come out of my down jacket until I had to.  There were 4 places in the race where we were bombarded with colored dye powder - start/finish and 2 stations.  Runners needed to walk through the stations so time was totally not a factor.  At one station my chest got a direct hit from a cupful of pink, it went all the way through to the skin.  All in all, I only felt the cold for the first couple of minutes but my legs were stiff the whole way and I ended up taking an extra walk break because of it.  In all there were > 600 runners registered and I'd say most of them showed up.

Things to remember for future color races - 1.  when they are using the powder-style dye, be sure to have something to cover up your nose/mouth or you will gag. I had a bandana which worked fine. 2.  Do go slowly through the color station, even do a couple of spins, to get as much color as possible.  3.  to 'set' the color you must spray your shirt down with vinegar and then iron it; make sure to soak the shirt pretty good and then pretty much dry it with the iron.  I don't think I had enough vinegar, the only color that remained after that process + a short cycle was was the purple.  Oh well.

Things I hope they improve upon next year, since this was the 'first annual' - pre-race pickup etc was ok as far as organization goes.  It would have been nice to have a printed logo on the shirts but that's minor.  They did have a radio personality dressed as the New Year's Baby going around writing on shirts so that was fun.  Post-race:  1.   provide some HOT after-race food like a soup of some sort or hot chocolate.  2.  They did have a vinegar station for spraying the shirts (with plastic bags to take them home) but the little sprayer bottles were not powerful enough and the line was crazy.  Perhaps next year they should have a way to hang the shirts a few at a time then get a volunteer with one of those garden sprayers to walk along dousing the shirts.  3.  do NOT have the sprayer-station manned by the same folks who were taking care of the checked-gear area.  I was told to go on back and grab my own jacket, not cool.  4.  Do not have the sprayer-station so near the post-race food, it made for a very crowded and confused room.

Will I do it again?  Probably.  Hopefully it'll be a little warmer next year though.  And hopefully some of my friends who said they were running it will actually be running it with me.

Here's me in my Modified Running Ninja getup before heading out.

new years color before.JPG

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4,705. Jan 2, 2013 7:16 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Did a short and cold 3 miles with the pup and the hubs yesterday.  I'll take the cold over the heat any day.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,706. Jan 2, 2013 12:23 PM (in response to Julie Ann Hackett)

Debm2011 That is a heck of a story about Dawn...wow. Inspiring!

Francessmom That rotten little dog! I get so irritated with pet owners who ignore their ill behaved pets.  I do carry Mace, but truly, I would be very hard pressed to use it on a dog. I did get "greeted" by a pit bull once whose owner was nowhere to be seen and I had my finger on the mace button, for sure.

justrundan That's some good winter running! **High Fives** for braving the cold.

igotwings No shorts for me! Brrrrr

JEFF CT That's very funny with your skeleton suit!

jmsab23 Hi Jon! Yep, my pup-pal is still running with me in her little red winter coat. I put something called "Musher's Wax" on her feet when the roads are bad. Otherwise her feet get burned by the salt.

OshCat What a crazy race! I don't think I would be too into running in the cold and then having cold wet liquid splashed on me. You are a better woman than I. Good on you for getting out there!

Julie Ann Hackett Hi! Happy cold weather-pup-accompanied running.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    4,707. Jan 2, 2013 12:38 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Greetings All and Happy 2013!!!

Looking in the rear-view at 2012, running was my constant therapy throughout the year.  I had some personal stuff to get through (divorce, moving, etc...) and running was my therapy.  Mile after mile the stress gets lower with every dropping bead of sweat....  From purely a running standpoint, 2012 was excellent and I'm looking forward to continuing that in 2013 very soon.

I'm starting 2013 as I ended 2012, eating and living primally and continuing with month 2 of P90X Lean.  I don't think I'll follow P90X through to the 3rd month.  My running/racing schedule starts with an excellent 5 mile run on March 2nd.  I want to be competitive at that as there's a lot of people I personally know that are also running it.  I missed registration for this event last year (they only take 2000 runners) and the year before I was fighting an injury, so needless to say I'm excited to run it this year.  The 2000 spots filled in less than 36 hours.

http://www.pointbeer.com/point-bock-run/

However, I am sticking with the Primal diet, feeling amazing.  My girlfriend had her cholesterol checked before we started the primal diet, she's had high cholesterol in the past and at that check it was a little higher than it should have been, as she expected.  She recently had it checked after eating primally for only one month....  Amazing, her numbers now are right in the 'wheelhouse'.  I'm here to say, it works.  We're both feeling excellent and there's no reason to consider going back.

Cheers All!!!  I'll be blowing the dust off my Brooks soon enough.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,708. Jan 2, 2013 3:55 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Hey, all. I've had some login issues also, but here's how I've worked around them.

1) After you finally get logged in, go to your Active.com profile page. Bookmark it.

2) Next time you log on, do it from your profile page, and use the login field IN THE UPPER RIGHT CORNER, not the one in the center of the page.

3) If you get an error message, click retry. I've had a nearly 100% success rate with this method.

I guess I should add that I'm using Firefox 17.0.1

If we want to move this discussion, Runnersworld.com has forums we can set up, free of charge. It's just a matter of starting a new discussion.

Rest day. Run report tomorrow!

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,709. Jan 2, 2013 8:22 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

False alarm on the 30th (actual due date) had me at the hospital from midnight till 2:30 am.

Contractions were constant throughout the 31st, water broke around 11 pm. 

Son-in-law and his mother and I stayed with my daughter at hospital as the world celebrated 2013.

They managed to sleep but I stayed awake and helped daughter be as comfortable as possible.

Our 2nd grandbaby finally made a quiet entrance into the world at 10:57 am on NEW YEAR'S DAY, 2013!!

It was such an emotional event for all of us. 

8 lbs, 10 oz; 20 3/4 inches........... amazing!! 

Daughter and baby Isabella are doing well and getting to know each other and her big sister!!

Delivery was so much less painful this time around due to the epidural, YAY!!!

The gift of a healthy grandbaby was more than what we could have wished for as my husband and I celebrated our 10th anniversary the same day!!

What are the odds?!?

It is a glorious event to share!

We enjoyed the warm temps of Phx while anticipating the birth of our 2nd grandbaby, and now we are relishing the wondrous beauty of winter in northern AZ at our home before returning to the frigid conditions of MN in a few days.

No running for me since last week, still reeling with happiness and thankfulness.  

I don't make resolutions.

I do wish each of you a very healthy and prosperous 2013 filled with joy, great adventures, peace and kindness.

Trail runner

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...